• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Trip to Key West, Summer 2015

Deckyon

Reaction score
raven.deckyon.com
I am looking to head down to Key West, and would love to know if anyone would be interested in tagging along, or joining up between here and there. I don't have all the details yet, but for me the starting point is Louisville, KY and ending in Key West. There are 2 routes that are about the same in mileage (30 miles difference), but differ in route. One goes straight down, through KY, TN, GA and FL and another that kinda jogs off through KY, TN, SC, GA and FL. Anyone who wants to come down or join in along the way, please reply to this thread with your location.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Lou...2f77463b5e!2m2!1d-81.7799871!2d24.5550593!3e0

As for lodging, dunno. I am wanting to attempt the drive in 2-3 days, so either cheap motel or camp site. I would need to clear it, but if the group is small, I have a friend down there who may be able to let us crash. No promises on that. It is possible to just hit camp sites, or crash out on the beach. If I do end up planning this one out, I will check for sites along the way and in KW itself. I would hope to be able to crash out and enjoy the beach or take day trips around the Keys from Monday to Thursday and keep the scheduling fluid. The only drop dead date would be leaving Friday morning (leaving 3 full days to return).

Dates (subject to change):
Leave Saturday, August 29th (early)
Return Friday, September 4th (early)

Last edited:
Sounds like great fun, but for us northerners not used to heat, maybe some other time of the year!

August:

Average High Temperature: 90° F
Average Low Temperature: 79° F
Average Precipitation: 5.40 inches

Also, don't plan on crashing on the beach at Key West, fines for that. Once you get to Florida, you are still almost 600 miles from Key West. I don't recommend crossing 7 mile bridge thru the keys if you are tired-wind is usually strong and when I went to the keys, I was riding at 45' angle for the 7 miles (the bridge is 7 miles long). I would recommend staying at one of the upper keys (Key Largo is good), lower priced motels and it only a 2 hour ride from Key Largo to Key West (about 90 miles at 45mph).

Still in the very earliest of stages. I have friends who live in KW and owe me a favor. Stopping in Largo sounds like a good idea, kick out fresh in the am for the last bit. Havent even look into camping areas or other stuff yet. Just getting the initial map and prelim schedule so I can start saving up.

For Louisville, KY, right on the Ohio, we see much the same temps and humidity as Florida. Minus the beaches...

I ride from Louisville to Gainesville Fl, 2 or 3 times a year, it takes me 12.5 hours taking the I-65, I-24, I-75 route, but then I ride between tanks, only stopping to fuel and a quick bathroom break and a few sips of some kind of liquid-usually 12-15 minutes from getting off the Interstate to getting back on the Interstate. I normally ride around 74mph (65mph thru the big cities). It takes me about 7.5 hours to get from Gainesville Florida to Key Largo (I-75 to US27, west of Miami, to US1)-same speed, 74mph and riding between tanks.

For Note: when riding thru Atlanta, do not hit Atlanta on a Friday after 12 noon, period. Any other day, don't take the by-pass around Atlanta, quicker and usually safer going straight thru downtown on I-75 (and you can use the HOV lane).
DO take the bypass around Macon, unless you really want to see downtown Macon (not!!).

I m also looking for tour organizer who provide a guided tour plus hotel amenities in key west Florida. I will be going there in coming up two months. Guys, Would you like to give me suggestion how to plan my tour?

Back