• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DDuelin's 50CC FL to CA Quest tracking site

dduelin

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to leave Saturday 7/26/14 on an attempt to ride coast to coast in less than 50 hours. This is officially called an Iron Butt Association 50CC Quest. I posted it in the Non NC700 sub forum because I'm riding my "other" Honda, an ST1300. I felt I could not guarantee my safety with the NC700X temporary fuel cell system I put together this week so the ST1300 is called to duty.

If you are interested in tracking my progress I set up a Spot tracking website where my GPS positions will be plotted automatically about every 10 to 30 minutes. The Spot Tracker is named Stella after my dachshund/lab mix dog. She wants to go everywhere with me so the name fit.

My departure time is planned for approximately 0430 EDT. If I get out of bed on time the Spot tracker should show an initial position in Jacksonville Beach, FL around 0430 to 0500 and tracking west from there with a stop somewhere in west Texas 23 hours later then tracking resuming Sunday morning with the destination San Diego sometime Sunday night 7/27 or early hours of Monday 7/28.

The link to the my shared Spot site is:

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=1ghB8shx3F9RlG56J2RKMzCT8Dk4NEBJB

The password is: dduelin

I have the site open today and will be fooling around with the Spot. You may or may not see any tracking information or GPS waypoints today but the site will be live tomorrow and for the next few days.

Last edited:
StratTuner,

I have a Garmin 550 with Weather and Traffic services on it. I think the WAZE app drives the traffic information.

If I make the planned schedule there is about 7 hours cushion built in for traffic, weather, or DHS immigration driver's license or ID checkpoints.

Did you encounter any of the latter in AZ or NM?

Good luck goes to those who do good planning. Sounds like you have done your planning thoroughly. Stay focused and alert, however you are able to do so.

Good luck goes to those who do good planning. Sounds like you have done your planning thoroughly. Stay focused and alert, however you are able to do so.
Thanks, I have been following the weather along the route a couple weeks. I'm a mite worried about the 105 to 113F weeken forecast for the desert southwest portions of my route. I'm from the hot humid south and have ridden distance in 100+ temps but not this hot with low humidity. Do you wear mesh gloves in that heat or solid leather or textile gloves? I'll have plenty of water in a system I can access while riding and also a cooling vest to wear under my solid textile riding suit. I have friends that have done it and feel confident but the glove question is open for me. I'll carry both types.

You can do it Dave! I really wanted to try it this summer, but some minor health issues with my wife kept us to an easy trip up to the Blueridge area. I hope to do that one soon but it is on my bucket list for now. I will be following along your ride.

Chuck,

There are more extreme routes for a 50CC but the one most used and the one I'll take is all on I-10 except for some portions around New Orleans (I-12) and in the southwest where I-8 is more direct to the edge of the continent.

My son lives near San Francisco so after I rest a day at a friend's house in San Diego I'll head up there for a short visit then plot a route home. I'll have 5 or 6 days to come home. I'll cross the Rockies from northern CA then figure it out from there.

Chuck,

There are more extreme routes for a 50CC but the one most used and the one I'll take is all on I-10 except for some portions around New Orleans (I-12) and in the southwest where I-8 is more direct to the edge of the continent.

My son lives near San Francisco so after I rest a day at a friend's house in San Diego I'll head up there for a short visit then plot a route home. I'll have 5 or 6 days to come home. I'll cross the Rockies from northern CA then figure it out from there.

Going to San Francisco, I believe coming home I would take I-40 to Amarillo and then cut down on Highway 287 to Ft. Worth, and I-45 to Houston. It is a lot cooler weather that way.

Then I-10 to Florida. West from Houston I-10 can be unreal hot, where as east of Houston I-10 is not as bad.

StratTuner,

I have a Garmin 550 with Weather and Traffic services on it. I think the WAZE app drives the traffic information.

If I make the planned schedule there is about 7 hours cushion built in for traffic, weather, or DHS immigration driver's license or ID checkpoints.

Did you encounter any of the latter in AZ or NM?

None at all on the Interstates. We have checkpoints here in Calif. I have to stop for once in a while, but none in AZ, and NM.
Traffic guidance.... a good thing... I had none and got stuck! I will next spring break.... (that will be 50cc attempt #2).

Good luck! Enjoy!
"May the shwantz be with you!" We'll be watching :)

Ride safe Dave. I'm going out of town this weekend but if I wasn't I'd give you my address and phone number in case you needed anything, I'm about a mile off I-10 just west of downtown Houston.

Back