• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700S - Travelling and tools

Sparta82

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey y'all,

I'm heading off on a 3 month bender across the US with my man (he's riding a Ducati Hyperstrada).

Three questions:
  1. We're looking for a torque wrench that can work for both our wheels, so that has a range between 15 lbs*ft (21 N*M) and 72 lbs*ft (98 N*M), any suggestions?
  2. What would you bring, tool wise?
  3. Visor cleaner, yea or nea? We want to avoid fogging as it has been an issue (we both have full face helmets).
He's bringing the tools he got in his Ducati kit.

I'm bringing what's included in the NC700S kit, which is:
● Spark plug wrench
● 8 × 12 mm, 10 × 14 mm, 12 × 14 mm Open end wrenches
● Standard/Phillips screwdriver and Screwdriver grip (definitely bringing a better one, it has a terrible grip)
● Extension bar
● 5 mm Hex wrench
● 22 mm and 27 mm Box end wrench
● Fuse puller

Added to that, Motion Pro 08-0048 chain alignment gauge, everything to clean the chain (cleaner, lubricant, gloves, rags), zip ties, duct tape, clutch wire, a reliable tire pressure gauge and a tire repair kit.

And hopefully, a torque wrench. We're newbies to maintenance, so a bit worried about relying on "feel" for tightening.

Sorry if someone already posted something relating to this!

Thanks for your input! We're 11 days away from departure!!! :D

Last edited:
For fogging, use either a pin lock insert or a fog city adhesive insert.
I'll let someone with more travel time on their ncx advise on what tools are needed.
I love the loobman chain oiler. Relativity cheap on the fly oiling that works great. Too late to get one in time for this trip though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't mess with a torque wrench for this purpose, but if you want one I suggest the simplicity and durability of a beam-type, rather than a click-type. Amazon has tons and tons of them, and you'll find one to cover your desired torque range.

Consider some allen wrenches. You'll need one for a front-wheel replacement, and may need one or two for other repairs since most of the fasteners on the bike seem to be allen-heads. Don't use the ball-end type except when the fastener is loose. If you try to use the ball-end on a tight or stuck fastener (or to fully tighten one), you're likely to strip out the head, making for a much bigger pain to deal with.

Tire plugs?
Tire pump or other inflator?
Just thoughts to consider.

My theory has been..........for the front I can plug a tire on the road. I'm not carrying spare bearings or tire so I'll have to rely on the help of strangers, call roadside assistance or call a shop to tow me if it is worse. For the rear, same thing as far as tire goes. For the chain, if it needs adjusting I can do that, hand tighten, and then find a shop to get the proper torque. Honda dealers are everywhere.
I carry open end wrenches, sockets, and hex wrenches to fit the major fasteners incase something does come loose. I went through all of the fasteners I could get to.
Pliers and locking pliers. Can be used for a broken clutch lever or foot peg.
fuses
electrical tape and a foot of 18 gauge wire.
Small test light and multimeter.
Good quality Duct Tape.
Bailing wire
zip ties
A few nuts and bolts of different sizes
Tire plugging stuff and air pump (that is always on the bike)
Beyond plugging a tire I'm mostly thinking of what I might need if a bolt comes loose/falls off or a minor crash so I can get somewhere to fix things properly or have them fixed.

Seems like you have a good list and some good suggestions. Has anyone said flashlight? I'd take along a small flashlight with fresh batteries. Not sure if you plan to ride during times of limited visibility.

Get a maintenance book and go thru it and determine which tools are needed for the routine maintenance stuff and put those in the bags. I doubt if you could carry every tool needed for major repairs if needed. You will need the allen wrench to remove the bottom cowl (to change oil), socket or open end wrench to remove the oil drain plug. If you are going to check the valves on the trip, you will need the correct size sockets, wrenches to remove the bolts for the valve covers, and radiator. You will need the correct wrenches to remove the wheels (in case you have to actually remove a tire and don't want to spend the $$$ for a shop to do it). A small bottle of motorcycle coolant (motorcycle coolant is different than auto coolant-auto coolant does contain chemicals which can be harmful to the water pump seals-ask the bmw g650gs owners who have had water pump seal issues). Take the maintenance book with you.

I wouldn't mess with a torque wrench for this purpose, but if you want one I suggest the simplicity and durability of a beam-type, rather than a click-type. Amazon has tons and tons of them, and you'll find one to cover your desired torque range.

Consider some allen wrenches. You'll need one for a front-wheel replacement, and may need one or two for other repairs since most of the fasteners on the bike seem to be allen-heads. Don't use the ball-end type except when the fastener is loose. If you try to use the ball-end on a tight or stuck fastener (or to fully tighten one), you're likely to strip out the head, making for a much bigger pain to deal with.

Tire plugs?
Tire pump or other inflator?
Just thoughts to consider.

+ 2 skip the torque wrench..........newbies should only be allowed to use a 1/4 drive ratchet solves a whole lot of problems:D:D:D:D:D Sort of joke but in most cases it works.......for tight stuff you really have to try real hard and small stuff does not get striped or broken:cool:

Same theory can be applied to newbies and hammers..........issue small rubber ones

Last edited:
I agree on the allen wrenches. If you're running the original chain cover, its removal with the 5mm allen wrench makes cleaning and lubing the chain infinitely easier and takes less than 30 seconds to remove or reinstall.

I prefer combination wrenches with a boxed end and an open end. That way you can use the open end for things like (heaven forbid) brake lines and the boxed end for tighter spaces where angles don't allow open end use.

I don't know if I agree with the decision to not take a torque wrench. If I was going to be riding every day for three months, I feel that it would be very inconvenient and cost-prohibitive to have to find a shop every time the chain needed adjusting or something similar. Then again, you run into space and weight considerations, but a $20.00 torque wrench is a lot cheaper than shop fees.

I don't see any mention of a chain alignment tool. It comes in handy and is very small and light.

(motorcycle coolant is different than auto coolant)

From what I can see, Honda coolant is identical whether packaged in powersports containers or automotive containers.

BMW failures are normal and common; not relevant to Hondas. ;)

+1 showkey. I use 1/4 drive ratchet for most fasteners on the bike so I don't strip or break bolts. Have a 1/4 to 3/8 adapter for 13mm socket which was 3/8 in my set. Axels are the only exception I can think of.

From what I can see, Honda coolant is identical whether packaged in powersports containers or automotive containers.

BMW failures are normal and common; not relevant to Hondas. ;)

Actually, if you use a coolant which contains silicates, it will eat away at the aluminum in the Honda radiator. Also, never use distilled water in a radiator. Distilled water (deionized) contains no ions, and water by nature wants ions, which it will take from the surrounding metal (aluminum) and deteriorate the radiator from the inside. Prestone does make a universal antifreeze but it cost more $$

Actually, if you use a coolant which contains silicates, it will eat away at the aluminum in the Honda radiator. Also, never use distilled water in a radiator. Distilled water (deionized) contains no ions, and water by nature wants ions, which it will take from the surrounding metal (aluminum) and deteriorate the radiator from the inside. Prestone does make a universal antifreeze but it cost more $$

None of the honda brand coolant contains silicates, either the auto or cycle type due to aluminum engine blocks and such. In cycles it eats the ceramic seals in the water pump first. I've used Prestone both pre mix and concentrated with good results.

Depending where I was traveling..........but........on new bike........I would not be carrying coolant and maybe not even extra oil. There is a Walmart in every county.......oil is available at every gas stop. Straight water could be used in a pinch instead of coolant.

+10 on the flash light (one with a built in flasher)........I have one stored in every bike right next to the Leatherman.......trip or around town........

I've traveled to both coast Canada and United States and have never carried a torque wrench. Get a feel on how tight the nuts and bolts need to be before you go and you'll be fine. Carry a good plug kit and small compressor in case of a flat. The real only maintaince you going to run into is lubing and adjusting the chain. Practice how to adjust the chain at home so it's second nature on the road. I don't even carry extra oil. If your bikes not using any between oil changes why both. The biggest thing people do when they travel is carry too much unneeded stuff. Weight is your enemy. Consentrate on good gear to keep you comfortable. Don't forget the chain lube and store it in a ziplock bag away from your cloths. I carry small "handwipe" anti fog packets to clean my visor.

One of the first things I bought when I got my bike was an led headlamp light. They are great for working on anything as its a hands free light. Also it has strobing red or white lights and strap can be tied to about anything for an emergency beacon.

If I were traveling with a companion on another bike, on pavement, in "average everywhere civilized USA" some things I would carry:

-generic tubeless tire flat fixing gear and air pump, pressure guage, couple spare valve cores, removal tool.

-a common wrench and socket for every normally accessed fastener on the bike (ie: the usual suspects list of 8mm/10mm/12mm/14mm/17mm/sparkplug, slot and phillips* screwdriver, assorted Allen wrenches, etc., but not like a Torx E14 for connecting rod cap nuts kinda thing, lol)

-cable repair kit or spare clutch cable

-multitool like a Leatherman, one small one medium pair of Visegrips, a magnet on a stick or claw grasping tool.

-handfull of zip ties, electrical tape and a few assorted connectors, duct tape, hose clamps, some SS safety wire, a handfull of common bike applicable metric nuts and bolts, some epoxy putty in a tube.

-a cleaning rag or two, disposable latex gloves, assorted ziploc baggies.

-small can chain lube.

-LED headlamp and/or flashlight

-35mm film cannister or suitable container for earplugs of choice.

-individual unscented baby wipes. Don't laugh, these things are awesome! Who knew! (I don't have kids, lol)

-simple first aid kit.

Optional stuff varies by personal need like spare glasses, contact lens solution etc., etc.

Personally I wouldn't carry or use a torque wrench or chain guide tool or chain cleaner, etc., but that's just me. I'm a "maintenance by the book" slacker type.

*technically this should be a JIS screwdriver for best results, but that's another story...

The LED (fore)head light is handy whether you're going cross-country or across the street. I always have one in the frunk.

I also leave permanently in the frunk two or three of those chemical light sticks that people like to wave around at concerts. The white ones actually put out a pretty good bit of useful illumination. They take up very little room and there is no worry of batteries being dead when you really need some light.

No matter if you're a master mechanic or still have trouble remembering which end of a screwdriver to hold on to, the one thing we all have in common is that it helps tremendously to be able to see what the hell you're doing.

If you recharge your phone off your bike's power, carry a spare cord. It's aggravating when one goes bad and you have to go hunt up another one. If you use your phone to navigate and you're not where a new cord is readily available, it is more than just aggravating.

I don't think any red-blooded American would even think of setting off on an adventure without at least one roll of duct tape.

Back