• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Not sure about those dunlob tires.

jangermann

Reaction score
Visit site
Today I was testing the fuel economy on my NC750DCT and was riding very gentle and economical. The computer says 29.4 km/l after 40km but then is starts dropping.
I feel the bike is getting strange, first I think it is the rough asphalt, the I think it could be some thing wrong with me... a very strange feeling. I pull over, and the rear tire is flat with a sharp stone in the tire.
Call the wife and she arrive withe a pump and super glue. The bike is now back home and the superglue is still holding up, but can this be repaired or is it a new tire?

The Dunlop is for sure soft!

20140513_173750.jpg

20140513_173632.jpg

You guys are braver than I am - given the potential consequences of a blown out tire, I'd replace it without second thought. It's not worth it.

I know others have different opinions, but I will not run with a plug any farther than the next tire place.

I know others have different opinions, but I will not run with a plug any farther than the next tire place.

I too have never run with a plug in the tire, however many accounts on this forum and others made me think it may work for several thousand miles. My roommate ran a plugged tire on his R1 for quite some time with no negative consequences. I agree with the above that the price of a new tire may be worth the peace of mind.

Plug it! All day long.

I've used plugs loads of times and they've always held up until the end of the tyre life.

I've even used a splinter of wood and superglue before as an emergency repair. :eek:

Oh and BTW, yes the Trailmaxs are complete shite, mine are bald after just 3,000 miles of easy riding.

I'm having a pair of Avon Ultra 2 Storms fitted on Saturday, can't wait!

I've personally never had a plug fail on a motorcycle, tractor, trailer, or automobile. Not saying it couldn't happen, it certainly could, but proper careful installation into a reasonable sized hole (up to 0.250") has always worked for me. I'm referring to the vulcanized string type of plugs. I've never used the mushroom type.

If the tire has some tread life left, dismount it and patch it with an inside-out patch. I'm running one of those now and have complete confidence in it.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
I didn't mean to get forum member grump in such a flap about the sordid masterlink chain clip versus rivet fiasco lol, so I will have to try and remember to choose my replies more carefully if I can, from now on...

I can no longer say something is "easy to do and works perfectly fine", just because I have no problems doing it. I can't control how others do or do not fix something in a manner that I would. I see now that the simplest things that I take for granted, can be extraordinarily eye opening to realize the potential for huge errors with someone doing the work without the knowledge or experience to perform it properly. :eek:

I love tire plugs to repair flat tires, and have never had a problem with one ever, based on the fact it's only ever been me installing them. Substitute: "clip style master link" or: "brake pads" etc., etc.

I'm really going to try and refrain from this now. My stock reply for such stuff from now on will be: "Throw it away, buy a new one" or: "Have it towed to a professional repair shop, where they can fix it correctly."

Heaven knows if it will still be done properly lol, but hey *shrug* it's all up to the individual.

I will change the rear tire. Just added this to basket: Michelin PILOT ROAD 3 REAR 160/60 ZR17 TL (69W) M/C
And then I will never leave home without this: Reparationssæt, dæk - Biltema

Yes a plug will probably do fine, but the plug will for sure be in my mind when traveling in high speed, so i prefer a new tire.
The Dunlop will not get old anyway as it wear out fast.

Just see the wear/rubber condition on the sides on my tire:

20140513_211133.jpg

I will change the rear tire. Just added this to basket: Michelin PILOT ROAD 3 REAR 160/60 ZR17 TL (69W) M/C
And then I will never leave home without this: Reparationssæt, dæk - Biltema

Yes a plug will probably do fine, but the plug will for sure be in my mind when traveling in high speed, so i prefer a new tire.
The Dunlop will not get old anyway as it wear out fast.

Just see the wear/rubber condition on the sides on my tire:

View attachment 17497

Have you seen the posts by fishburger, CagerOnTwoWheels, and jelly about their Dunlop tire experiences? :eek:

Something seems amiss with these tires, no doubt!

Last edited:
I've run gummy plugs before ..... Sometimes more than one in the same tire... For thousands of miles in some instances but it was my choice alone. Not for everyone.

The only puncture that failed to seal with a worm was a slit like that. The worm opens the slit up and it blew bubbles on either side of the worm.

I've had punctures on Michelins, Bridgestones, and Avons but not in a Dunlop yet.

Check out the UK NC Forum nc700.co.uk - loads of issues with wear rate for Dunlop Trailmax fitted to the 750X.

Single compound and too soft for the bike - not the best fitment.

Back