• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

throttle side bar end snapped off

Luis Rosa

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys and girls! Any advice on switching out a broken bar end on the throttle side? Can't seem to be able to remove the clip retaining the weighted end of the bar end. I've tried using needle nose pliers but can't get a good bite. Is there a trick I don't know about or am I just not using the right tool. Anybody else have this issue?

Thanks,
Luis

Hey guys and girls! Any advice on switching out a broken bar end on the throttle side? Can't seem to be able to remove the clip retaining the weighted end of the bar end. I've tried using needle nose pliers but can't get a good bite. Is there a trick I don't know about or am I just not using the right tool. Anybody else have this issue?

Thanks,
Luis

The outer end weight is fastened into the inner weight with a thread locking compound screw. Careful application of heat to the end of the screw will make it's removal dead easy.

I am having trouble picturing the humongous steel weight itself "snapping", but maybe I've never tried hard enough, lol :D

If you need to remove the inner assembly, needle nose pliars aren't the right tool for the job. (and you don't have to remove the outer end weight, really.)

Undo the kill switch pod, and slide the throttle barrel and grip further inboard if you can. This will expose two little holes drilled in the handlebar, near the outer end, opposite each other. If you poke two little pointy things in these holes, it should flex the spring clip retainer prongs and the inner assembly slides out. Sometimes it is stuck with a bit of glue and requires a healthy yank.

If you have removed the outer weight and the screw that held it in, then thread the screw or another similar back into the inner, to get a good grip to pull it out.

If it was the screw that snapped off inside the inner weight, then well, that would suck a bit.

Back