• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Necessity of adding or removing drive chain links?

pismocycleguy

Reaction score
Visit site
Was it necessary to remove, or add, drive chain links when replacing the OEM rear chain ring with a 2 teeth larger, or 2 teeth smaller chain ring on the NC700X. In the past, with other bikes, I have been able to do this change without cutting the chain. What have others experienced with the NC700X?:confused:

The only reason you would have to shorten the chain is if your adjusters were maxed out and still to much slack. I can't see either a +2 rear or the -2 front doing that. The -2 front is going to make a pretty tight turn for the chain to go around up front causing premature wear to the chain.

The question that comes to mind is what are you trying to achieve. -2 front or +2 rear will not have the same effect. Same direction but the -2 is a lot more

How to figure the changes when changing sprocket teeth. (The Real numbers)

[video=youtube;O35AwCp-6b8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O35AwCp-6b8[/video]

Last edited:
Why am I trying to achieve?

The question that comes to mind is what are you trying to achieve. -2 front or +2 rear will not have the same effect. Same direction but the -2 is a lot more
You misunderstood me. I was trying to ascertain if I would have to remove chain links if I installed a 2 tooth smaller rear chain ring, or add chain links if I installed a 2 tooth larger rear chain ring. I was trying to plan ahead and anticipate what parts/tools I would need after disassembling and installing a different rear sprocket. I didn't want to be needing a longer, or shorter, chain after replacing the sprocket and then running around trying to find the required tools and parts to reassemble my bike.
I'm not interested in changing out the front countershaft sprocket.
In the past I have done this, replaced rear chain ring with a 2 tooth smaller sprocket, and was able to move the rear wheel rearward to provide the proper chain tension. But looking at my chain adjusters it looked like it may not have enough rearward adjustment remaining. I was trying to pick other members knowledge before beginning my modification.

Back