• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Adventures of Nana Chou - Public School Stadium

Old Can Ride

Reaction score
Visit site
0.jpgThe first high school football game in Texas was played in 1892 by Ball High school. Texas A&M played it’s 1st football game against Ball High school.

Kermit Courville Stadium is a 10,000-seat multipurpose stadium located in Galveston, Texas and owned by the Galveston Independent School District. It serves as the home field for the Ball High School Golden Tornadoes football team.

Kermit Courville Stadium (Known as “Public School Stadium” in my day) was built in 1948, so it is historic in and of itself," PTORS President Sandra Tetley said. I am older than the field! I played on this field from 1958 to 1963.

In May of 2010 an unsuccessful bond election was held to fund replacement of the 65-year old stadium with a new 6,000 to 10,000-seat multipurpose stadium, built on a district-owned site at 83rd Street near Scholes International Airport.

Even though the bond issue of a few years ago failed, a new bond issue vote is in the process. So, the last grass still standing that I played on will soon be history. You know you are old when every field you ever played the sport you loved has been replaced but this one, and soon it will be gone.

I do not like watching sports, but I loved playing them. In my life time, I never returned to a single field I played on to watch a single game. And soon the last field will be gone.

So, Nana Chou and I made a little adventure to see an old friend.

[video=youtube;plaKiR-1BYs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plaKiR-1BYs[/video]

smileysun.jpg

Last edited:
Must have been a relatively small high school since they only have a 4 lane track. Or don't many go out for track since Texas is such a huge football state? Did they know you were riding a motorcycle on the track? I'm sure I would get arrested if I tried that around here.

Yes, they knew I was on the track. 5 lanes for sprints and 4 for mid distance runs. Like anywhere long distance was a free for all. Had 814 students in my graduation class. That was the last year for segregation. The next year was all most twice as many students.

Started football a little late in Texas

First Army - Navy game in 1890. Navy won without their coach who went to watch Yale's game.

Greatest football rivalry of two teams who battle on a football field but later die together on the battlefield.

ARMY FOOTBALL MAKING NAVY LOOK GOOD SINCE 1890

In 1892 there was not another Texas High School football team in the entire state. Hard to believe in Texas. So, Ball High played teams from Louisiana. They road by train in those days. Loved listening to my great uncles, and uncles on holidays talking about those early football years. Even when I was in high school we got to travel all over the county in Greyhound buses to play. Played high school ball in Port Arthur, Abilene, Beaumont, Corpus Christi, Fort Worth, Dallas, New Orleans, Wichita Falls, Lake Charles, and Odessa. Unless they end up in the state finals in the off year, they never travel over 50 miles now days. Rotate the state final between Reliant and Cowboy stadiums every other year. It is a shame that todays kids do not get the traveling adventures we had. In high school playing football is a lot of fun, after high school football is a tough job.

Back