• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

chain replacement question

deedub

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm replacing my chain for the first time, and I noticed that the front sprocket has a small bit of side-to-side play in it. It's just a little bit of wobble, but it's there. Is that how it should be? I expected it to be attached solidly like the rear sprocket is, but since this is the first time I've seen it I don't know if my sprocket or my expectations are faulty.

I would say SOME lateral wiggle would be acceptable, but if it's really whopped out and you see wear on the sprocket I would say replace. The new one should take up the access side to side. If it doesn't, it might be that the shaft itself is worn out.

It's only a little wobble, and the sprocket looks good otherwise. Are you saying the wobble is acceptable, or that it's the correct behavior?

I'm also keen to hear opinions on this as my 2k miles NC front sprocket has about 1mm of side play. The reason this concerns me is that Honda have previous on problems with counter shaft wear, (Africa Twin and Transalp), and I can't find any reference to acceptable limits in the service manual.

By design the front sprocket on the NC is a slip fit on the shaft and it is not a rigid mount. So it has side to side movement that is normal. It is held on the shaft with one bolt but the bolt that stops the sprocket from falling off the shaft and does not hold tight to the shaft,. It is free move on the shaft.

The Transalp and many other Hondas had a slightly different design that used a splined retainer that was held in place by two 6mm bolts. That retainer design also allows the sprocket to float on the shaft. Generally speaking this design had more sprocket free play.

Both of the above and several other designs allow the sprocket to float on the shaft.

Most if not all of the Transalp shaft spline wear, bearing and seal wear issues were from running the chain way way too tight. A few were caused by aftermarket sprocket fit and quality issues. A few were caused by excessive chain lube and or oiling and then running in very sandy dusty conditions were the excessive oil and sand made natures perfect grinding lapping compound and over many many miles caused wear to all the related parts.

Picture of the two bolt retainer design:

IMG_2221.JPGIMG_2222.JPG

Last edited:
I also just finished up replacing both sprockets and chain. I didn't notice any wobble with the OEM front sproket.

I also just finished up replacing both sprockets and chain. I didn't notice any wobble with the OEM front sproket.

They are talking about a slight movement of the sprocket on the shaft..........not huge wobble......I am very confident yours moves in and out slightly if you used an OEM sprocket.

Back