• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Recommended Garage Equipment & Tools for Bikes

t3hGone

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

Since I'm a newbie with my first bike, I would like for a discussion regarding the best recommended tools for working on/with bikes, homemade or purchased. Some examples could be front wheel chocks, rear wheel stands, bike jacks, truck mounting, some odd tools that are only used on bikes, things of that nature.

Hey all,

Since I'm a newbie with my first bike, I would like for a discussion regarding the best recommended tools for working on/with bikes, homemade or purchased. Some examples could be front wheel chocks, rear wheel stands, bike jacks, truck mounting, some odd tools that are only used on bikes, things of that nature.

I don't have one yet, but I have two friends that do.
Motorcycle Lift Table, 1000 Lb. Capacity
They go on sale sometimes for around $300.00+/-

image_21230 harbor freight.jpg

Basic sockets, wrenches, JIS screwdrivers, and torque wrenches are a must. Then, I would just study the maintenance schedule in advance and obtain the needed tools at that time. For example, anticipating a tire change will have you shopping for tire tools, or for a chain replacement you'll be needing a chain breakers/riveter. I just take it one step at a time on the specialty stuff.

Greg

Something you don't think about until you need more of it is light. Dependins on how well your shop it is lit. Don't forget these.

TQS1000QD.jpg

A 17mm hex (Allen) wrench for pulling the front wheel. Why they couldn't use a regular plain-Jane bolt is a mystery to me.

I don't have one yet, but I have two friends that do.

That is the lift that I have. I was going to buy an expensive Handy, but decided to make this one work. I had a bike fall off of it (what a disaster!) because the front wheel clamp is junk and the footprint is too narrow for stability when a bike is raised. Now that I have replaced the wheel clamp with a Baxley wheel chock and I anchored the base frame to my concrete floor, it is fine. (Yes, I even farkle my tools). With the Baxley (or equivalent) ride-on chock (bolted to the lift deck) it becomes a one person operation to place a bike on the lift. Without it, you need Soldier B to clamp the wheel while you hold it upright.

As modified, I am quite satisfied with it...

002.jpg
IMG_0177.jpg

They are not "only used on bikes" but I would also place these on the eventual acquisition list...

- measuring tools (caliper, precision rules)
- impact driver (battery electric is better than the old hammer banger type)
- hot air gun (temperature adjustable 800 degree F)
- metric thread gauges
- taps and dies
- multimeter
- Plastic syringes (15, 30, 60 ml)
- at least a small compressor
- a small bottle jack (for raising the rear with the front clamped in the stand)

Last edited:
I had a bike fall off of it (what a disaster!) because the front wheel clamp is junk and the footprint is too narrow for stability when a bike is raised.

my first thought,after seeing the picture of the that lift

Are you talking daily maintenance or major engine/suspension work?

This list is by no means complete but what I could think of off the top of my head.
All you need for most daily stuff is a good socket set, open/closed end wrenches, some screwdrivers and a good torque wrench.
Then comes a set of hex head sockets, T wrenches, a chain brush, spark plug gap tool, tire pressure gauge, air compressor, various pliers, lights, drill, eye protection, funnels, something to measure fluid volume, oil filter wrench, etc...
I really like my ratcheting screw driver and cordless reversible variable speed drill. They speed up a lot of assembly/disassembly tasks.
Bike lifts are great for doing engine work. If you want to do suspension work or to mess with rims/tires stands are better.
Bike center stands are good for chain work, oil changes and for keeping your tires in top shape when you store a bike for the winter but their usefulness drops off rapidly after that IMHO.

As far as suspension goes, that requires a whole new set of tools in addition to the normal ones.
If you want to replace springs, seals, fork oil, install gold valves, etc...
You need a vice with jaw inserts that won't damage the forks.
A fork seal driver.
Tool for removing/installing the retainer clip for the fork seals.
Fork oil level tool (aka syringe with a long tube and a hose).
Brake bleeding tool (another syringe with a hose). A good idea to have even if you don't do suspension work.
A hack saw or other cutting tool for cutting new spacers for the forks.
Some sort of strait rule to measure the spacers.
A spring compressor for the rear shock if you are going to change the spring.
I suggest any other rear shock mod involve total replacement or sending it in for a rebuild. Tools for rebuilding rear shocks get pretty expensive.
The stock shock is pretty barebones IMHO and if you are going to keep the bike a long time I'd replace it with something more adjustable rather than do much with the stock one.

Oh and one other item some consider indispensable. Beer.

Aside from a good set of screwdrivers then wrenches from 8 mm to 22 mm and a socket set from 8 to 27 mm I wouldn't know where to start.

I keep thinking of scene from Grand Torino when Clint Eastwood is talking to the kid next door where he says something like "well son, I didn't buy these tools in one day. It took 50 years."

LED WORK LIGHT. Very bright, cool to the touch and low power consumption. 2806962f-0e99-467f-ae70-ac405fb9ed7d_300.jpg

As for lifts, I have a Kendon which is rock solid and has a great front wheel chock that aids in holding the bike upright and locked in place. I've used it with a Goldwing nearing a 1000lbs without issue.download.jpg

A guru.

Internet forums are great and all, but when things get tricky being able to bring your pals Al or Tim in as backup is invaluable. Just be sure to keep a fully stocked beer fridge on hand with the phone number to a good pizza place stuck to the front.

Aside from a good set of screwdrivers then wrenches from 8 mm to 22 mm and a socket set from 8 to 27 mm I wouldn't know where to start.
It has taken me 10 years to get all the tools I have now and it's time to get some cool stuff for the bike :).

I have a bunch of standard tools in my shop, but I'm more looking for the tools like lifts and things that people recommend. I have extremely high quality stuff for my car work. Mostly all stuff that is made in the US by companies that no longer exist or things that I made. I made a rear tire stand by using a few 2x4s of wood.

As for lifts, I have a Kendon which is rock solid and has a great front wheel chock that aids in holding the bike upright and locked in place. I've used it with a Goldwing nearing a 1000lbs without issue

Can these be universally used aside from the weight capacities since I see they have 4 different types and I plan on having multiple bikes?

A 17mm hex (Allen) wrench for pulling the front wheel. Why they couldn't use a regular plain-Jane bolt is a mystery to me.

17 mm Allen wrench. Wow... Hah. I remember when I was working at Honda's die cast plant seeing the 150 mm Allen keyed bolts :D. The wrench took 3 people to undo the bolt....

- a small bottle jack (for raising the rear with the front clamped in the stand)
I feel like I need to see a picture of this.

Regarding the Harbor Freight stuff, I've always been skeptical with their products as it seems half of them are designed to fail. I have used jack stands from them, and they broke under the weight of my friend's S2000 with me under it. I had wood blocks underneath certain points under the car for just that scenario. My wood saved me :).

I feel like I need to see a picture of this.

This was before I had a centerstand, however if you want to put the bike on the centerstand after the front wheel is in the chock, you still have to jack it up to deploy the stand and then lower it back down...

image.jpg

Regarding the Harbor Freight stuff

I agree. It is mostly junk. Every now and then a serviceable item appears. Better to just avoid it. This lift, by time you address the POS wheel chock, is probably not much cheaper than a decent lift. I almost destroyed a bike with it before I modified it.

I cut a 20mm long section off the long end of a 17mm hex key to carry with me on the bike. I spin it with a box end wrench. The rest of the hex key is still functional for use at the shop.

Back