• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Which camera do you use?

celtsguy81

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking to mount a small cam on the side of my helmet to shoot some videos. I've read various reviews and wonder what you guys use?

Do you ever find the audio out of these usable during above-traffic speeds (say, 30 MPH+)? Favorite cameras? Editing software?

I use a GoPro Hero3 Silver... it ships with 2 different doors for the case... one is open and not weather proof but is good if you actually want to hear speech. The sealed enclosure is good for high speed but even if the motor is off and you are stopped it's hard to hear anything... The Hero3 Black and White editions offer higher resolution and frame rates, but for what I use the footage for, (mostly youtube and self edification) the extra money is wasted.

here's a funny clip I made recently...

Ram Mount makes awesome mounts for them (and pretty much everything else) too... and if you have an engine guard on your NC, like I do... it's a perfect place to mount them so they are out of the way.

I use a GoPro Hero3 Silver... it ships with 2 different doors for the case... one is open and not weather proof but is good if you actually want to hear speech. The sealed enclosure is good for high speed but even if the motor is off and you are stopped it's hard to hear anything... The Hero3 Black and White editions offer higher resolution and frame rates, but for what I use the footage for, (mostly youtube and self edification) the extra money is wasted.

OMG, but I seriously guffawed out loud seeing that. (sorry :eek:) I was totally not expecting that! :eek: :D

HAHA Me either!

Oh, so regarding Software... I am lazy and cheap. I just use Microsoft Live Movie Maker. It's free and very easy to use... not very powerful, but I sit in front of a computer all day day so I don't have much patients for these sorts of things.

+1 on MS Movie Maker. Free, easy to use, and I sit in front of a computer enough as it is.

6.jpg

I agree with CandyStripes327, go pro is the only way to go. No one can advertise the go pro at a cheaper price than set by the factory, it is in their contract with go pro. Though not advertised anywhere, do bicker on the price as some will come down about 12.5% to 15%.

SmileyGoPro.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with CandyStripes327, go pro is the only way to go. No one can advertise the go pro at a cheaper price than set by the factory, it is in their contract with go pro. Though not advertised anywhere, do bicker on the price as some will come down about 12.5% to 15%.

OCR, do you remember what type of camera they talked about at the HU meet? One of the earlier presenters mentioned another camera that they preferred but I can't remember what it was called. This is not an area I know much about so the name did not stick.

***** update * * *
OK I went into the HU forums and found it, but there is a debate going on there between the hero and the Drift, so they don't agree which is best.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:
I purchased both a GoPro Hero 3 Black and a Contour+2. Ended up keeping the Contour because it has GPS, lens rotation, Bluetooth and looks less ugly than the GoPro mounted on the side of my helmet.

I have both the GoPro Hero3 and the Contour Roam 2(not the GPS version). My personal assessment...

Picture Quality
The GoPro has a much better looking picture in my opinion, but on a beautiful sunny day you can hardly tell a difference in the two. Cloudy and low-light situations is where the GoPro shines. Both shoot in 1080p, 30fps which is what I typically use.

Look/Style
Even though the GoPro camera is relatively small compared to other cameras, the clear plastic case is bulky and awkward when affixed to your helmet. I had the GoPro on my helmet for several months and at 70+ mph the GoPro acts as a sail and blows your head back, straining your neck (not to mention, it's hilarious when you see someone drive by with a huge chunk of camera glued to the side of their helmet).
The Contour is black, slim and fits perfectly and stealthily on the side of my matte black helmet. I don't feel any type of pull from the wind even and very high speeds. Even the stick-on mount is super slim and barely noticeable without the camera mounted.

Usability
Both cameras are water proof, dirt proof, etc., but as far as being user friendly, the Contour wins hands down. The GoPro can get very annoying trying to navigate the menu system while it's in it's case, especially with gloves on. The buttons only decide to work sometimes.
The Contour basically has one button (more of a slide) that turns the camera on and starts recording all at once. Very easy to use if you're going to be recording basically the same thing everyday (i.e. my usual morning work commute). The battery on the Contour lasts about an hour longer (3.5hrs) than the GoPro (2.5hrs).
Audio sucks on both cameras equally over 30mph.

Overall
For my helmet, definitely the Contour...much, MUCH easier to use, longer battery life, looks and feels better.
For the bike, GoPro hands down...better picture, more mounting possibilities (especially with the RAM mounts as mentioned in an earlier post), more camera features (i.e. burst mode, time-delay capture, time-lapse)

Hope this helps!!

IMG_0020.jpg
IMG_0023.jpg

Great comparison Josh. The Contour+2 itself is weather-resistant, (rain, snow) so you don't need the plastic case unless you're diving 100'. Moreover, (I don't know about the Roam) the +2 has time lapse fetures and a VERY useful external mike connector.

One thing that sold me was the GPS. It is really awesome. It records the coordinates twice a second along with the video file. Contour provide a software (Storyteller) that I do not use.. Instead, i use a free software called Registrator Viewer. It was created to playback car DVR's files, but works perfectly with the Contour+2. It allows you to see the video, extract pictures, as well as seeing your trace real time on Google Maps, with the speed and everything.

A nice gadget :)

On youtube there was a clip made by techmoan who also owns an Nc700. It is a very cheap and quite good onboard camera, SJ1000.
Worth seeing it, I think
The only disadvantage, when it is in it's plactic housing, the power on/off button doesn't have an external switch.

I use a Contour Roam 2 as I much prefer the shape compared to the Gopro style and so easy to turn on/ off. It is mounted to my helmet and I will soon be mounting it to the lid of the front brake fluid reservoir lid using a Gopro adapter to allow up and down swivel. The picture is brilliant and by adjusting the settings in the camera you can get some great footage even on gloomy days too. The footage also responds well to adjustments in Adobe Elements which is my software of choice.

I usually just leave it on 1080@30fps but when I want to change the settings away from the PC I use an OTG (on the go) cable to connect the camera to my Samsung S4 and change whatever settings I need too. Also have the additional waterproof case which works very well and floats with the camera inside :)

Last edited:
Great comparison Josh. The Contour+2 itself is weather-resistant, (rain, snow) so you don't need the plastic case unless you're diving 100'. Moreover, (I don't know about the Roam) the +2 has time lapse fetures and a VERY useful external mike connector.

A nice gadget :)

No mic output for the Roam2 but it has time lapse. The Contour +2 maybe be advertised as weather resistant but there have been a few with that camera who complained it stopped working after being used in the rain. Contour do not advertise it as waterproof so you have no comeback if water does get in.

Thanks everyone. Great reads on all these posts.

MindlessMuse... did your camera come with that mic? I was impressed with the wind noise (or lack of) when you were going at highway speed. I've only ever owned one helmet (Scorpion EXO 700) but it seems like it is loud to me. What helmet were you using?

I haven't watched everyone's videos yet but assuming my boss doesn't catch me I know what I'll be doing this morning. Thanks!

MindlessMuse... did your camera come with that mic? I was impressed with the wind noise (or lack of) when you were going at highway speed. I've only ever owned one helmet (Scorpion EXO 700) but it seems like it is loud to me. What helmet were you using?

I honestly do not remember if that one came with it or not as I believe that is my 2nd mic. Those videos are either an Aria RX-Q (white helmet) or a Scorpion EXO 1100 (black helmet), as I switched back and forth. :) I have the mic stationed right inside the cheek padding to help reduce wind noise as well.

I now have a Shoei GT Air, and will probably do a camera mount video as I have yet to add it (hence lack of videos since the 4th).

Back