• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My last big ride of the summer...

DanH

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Next weekend, I go to my parents and get my kids so its back to swimming lessons and music lessons and sleepovers and all the other stuff a family with growing kids needs someone to drive them too. I've managed to make the most of the time I've had and explored many of the amazing highways here in Washington state. To finish it all up on Sunday, I rode the Cascade Loop. The Cascade Loop (click for map) is a 400 mile loop that snakes from western WA, the wet side, over Steven's Pass into eastern WA, the dry side, follows river valleys back up into the mountains over Washington Pass and back into the rain. So that is how I spent my Sunday.

Someone asked why I didn't stop at The 59er Diner a while back so I did this time (and probably will every time in the future). Fantastic road side diner; 50's theme with ton's of memorabilia and classic 50's rock and roll to back it up! The men's bathroom is a shrine to Marilyn. Sunday mornings in the summer they do breakfast "Family Style" which means you can order whatever you want from the breakfast menu in whatever portion you want. I had pancakes(buttermilk and banana); french toasted cinnamon bun; the house scramble with tomatoes and cheese; shredded crispy hash browns; ham; bacon; sausage (why choose if you don't have too?); biscuits with homemade sausage gravy (and ordered seconds); fruit and coffee. All for about $15 including tip. I didn't even think about eating again the rest of the day. :) Its only a little over an hour drive from home so there is probably a family outing in the near future as well.
20130721_095332.jpg

No, I didn't blur my lovely waitresses face on purpose. She was moving - its a busy place! :)
20130721_095117.jpg

Here is a river valley on the "dry side". The bottom land is used for orchards and hops. The valley walls haven't been cleared. They only grow scrub grass and bushes naturally.
20130721_104221.jpg
20130721_104241.jpg
20130721_110640.jpg

I saw this dilapidated foot bridge outside of Methow (pronounced METT-OW and don't screw it up) crossing Squaw Creek.
20130721_122107.jpg

The top of Washington Pass - another of the many blessings from the motorcycle gods.
20130721_135653.jpg
20130721_135700.jpg
20130721_135745.jpg

The road down from the top of Washington Pass is an absolute wonder of mountain scenery. Its rugged, primitive, raw. This is the south end of Ross Lake on "the wet side" (can you spot the differences?). It reaches all the way up into Canada from here.
20130721_143407.jpg
20130721_143424.jpg

It truly was a brilliant way to end my big rides for the summer. :)

Great pics, mate! That Diner sounds yummy! *LBS sets aside another $5.00 for renewing Passport*

But when you say last big ride of the summer, it sounds kind of melancholy...

Even though the weather has been unbelievably fantastic for the past few weeks up here, I still feel like I'm *waiting* for summer to arrive, but look at the calendar, and see August is nearly upon us.

Auuugh! :eek:

the little, and usually underpowered, wheels in my head start spinning...

let's see...how long would it take me to get to seattle? hmm... then I could do the loop, stay the night, and then ride home to San Diego?.....

something to think about now!

the little, and usually underpowered, wheels in my head start spinning...

let's see...how long would it take me to get to seattle? hmm... then I could do the loop, stay the night, and then ride home to San Diego?.....
Yes. This. I was especially tempted for Saturday's Adventure. But my girl needs suspension work before I drag her on that kind of trek.

Yes. This. I was especially tempted for Saturday's Adventure. But my girl needs suspension work before I drag her on that kind of trek.

For Saturday's adventure, your suspension is probably OK. The FSRs are rough but not gruesome - any SUV or pickup truck can navigate them with ease. Its was my tires and rookie mistakes that made that trek "interesting". :)

This is a bucket list ride of mine that might needs suspension work before hand....

http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/WABDR

Last edited:
For Saturday's adventure, your suspension is probably OK. The FSRs are rough but not gruesome - any SUV or pickup truck can navigate them with ease. Its was my tires and rookie mistakes that made that trek "interesting". :)

This is a bucket list ride of mine that might needs suspension work before hand....

Washington Backcountry Discovery Route (WABDR)

Actually I was referring to the <1200 miles each way of slab to get to the seattle area. Hoping to get the front done before Mono Lake in Sept, but we'll see.

Looking very interesting place I mostly wanted natural beauty scene during the road trip and you are also matched with my nature what's your next plan?

Back