• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Headlight flashing

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got a PDF copy of the Owner's manual from a link on these forums.
It's useful because I can search it electronically.

Interesting:
On page 30 of the PDF, the headlight control has three settings:
1. High beam
2. low beam
3. PASS

They physical manual I have has the same control listed on page 28, and the PASS setting is missing!

I inspected my NC700x and note that there is no passing setting for the headlight.

I miss being able to flash or blink the headlight for big trucks on the Interstates.

It's there on the UK version

The only differençe is the switch itself, so StratTuner, you just need to replace that $$$ switch assembly with the correct part number to get it. I may do it myself because I also miss it.

Is there a large difference between Flash To Pass and dipping the headlight from Hi to Lo and back? My BMW had Flash and when pushed it lit both Hi and Lo at the same time with a spring-loaded momentary switch.

I assume that some markets other than the USA the headlight is not required to burn all the time so a Flash to Pass is easier and quicker than flipping between Hi and Lo.

Is there a large difference between Flash To Pass and dipping the headlight from Hi to Lo and back? My BMW had Flash and when pushed it lit both Hi and Lo at the same time with a spring-loaded momentary switch.

I had two Suzuki's in the past and both had the same switch with the same behaviour as your BMW. They had a regular Hi/Lo toggle switch in the front and a yellow momentary switch in the back of the housing that was powering the Hi beam without changing the current state of the Lo beam. That was very useful, instead if "click-click, click-click, click-click" the front toggle switch to wake up a cage driver...

193515d1278253018-autocom-ptt-mod-img_3811.jpg

Presumptions: (careful about presuming...it's makes a PRES out of you and me!)

1. the wiring that attaches to both switches is the same. The circuit that flashes the light is probably internal to the switch.
2. replacing a No-flash switch with a flash switch would be relatively easy.
(there is undoubtedly a procedure in place somewhere to replace that particular switch)

You UK guys, does the switch stay in FLASH if you let go of it?
(it would be great if the switch reverted back to something else on release... otherwise you'd fly down the highway headlight flashing.)

Might be worth ordering one with flash.... if we could all figure out how to order one!

The switch is standard on European bikes too - every time you press it down it flashes the main beam and when released pops back up and switches back to the dipped beam (daylight running lights are standard in Europe too).

Chris

The switch is standard in Japan.

My question is, who the hell pays any attention to us flashing our lights?

About sums it up, eh? :(

"Yes, Officer, I saw a flashing light, was blinded and confused, and drove straight into it!"

"No, Officer, I saw nothing. He suddenly appeared out of nowhere! I know he was speeding recklessly, though!"

*hic* "No othifer whut acc *hic* acthident?" *hic*

"Officer, he deliberately drove right into my car, flashing his light dangerously at me. I was afraid for my life!"

I realize my now my question may have sounded rhetorical or like a smart-assed comment, but it was a sincere question.

Comments above mine give me the impression that where some of you live, people actually pay attention to the light flashing of bikes. I've never lived anywhere that anybody pays the slightest bit of attention to light flashing or horn beeping from a motorcycle. They might notice a flash at night, but in the daytime you can forget about it.

Do some of you actually flash the light for some purpose and do the other vehicles actually act as though they saw it?

When a large truck (a big rig) signals to move into your lane, it's polite to flash your lights to let him know that he has room to do so.
It also lets him know you understand what he's doing.
My father drove truck for a while and taught me that.

After they move into your lane, they sometimes blink their lights to say "thank you".

to paraphrase "An elegant [gesture] for a more civilized age."
(Obi-Wan Kenobi - Star Wars)

Last edited:
When a large truck (a big rig) signals to move into your lane, it's polite to flash your lights to let him know that he has room to do so.
It also lets him know you understand what he's doing.
My father drove truck for a while and taught me that.

After they move into your lane, they sometimes blink their lights to say "thank you".

I'm a truck driver myself for about twenty-three years now, mostly in Japan but a couple years in the U.S. I remember people cutting their lights as a signal I'm clear. When they flashed their high beams I stayed where the hell I was, as the intent is ambiguous; it could be taken as a warning I'm not clear. At any rate, I was never willing to risk an accident (or enraged motorist) just to find out which was the case. Any big rig cutting back in front of motorcycles closely enough that he needs a signal has no business driving a big rig, in my professional opinion.

Where I am now the only light dipping comes from vehicles (90% of the time another truck) signaling they recognize your turn signal and urgent need to change lanes (accident, construction, obstruction, etc) and will let you in instead of ignoring your signal and selfishly barrel-assing right on up to cut you off (which accounts for why the cars so seldom do it. Those bastards love nothing better than to crowd out a truck).

But back to the point....did you mean you flash the passing lights while on your bike in such situations? Is there any other situation where drivers seem to have a clue or give a damn about the presence of a bike?

Last edited:
Where I am now the only light dipping comes from vehicles (90% of the time another truck) signaling they recognize your turn signal and urgent need to change lanes (accident, construction, obstruction, etc) and will let you in instead of ignoring your signal and selfishly barrel-assing right on up to cut you off (which accounts for why the cars so seldom do it. Those bastards love nothing better than to crowd out a truck).

Exactly. That's what my dad taught. He was hoping I would not become one of "those bastards".
Since I can't "cut the lights" or "blink them", flashing is a fair second choice. It seems better than doing nothing.

When we drove in the UK, there were often narrow passages in a street where two cars going opposite directions CAN NOT pass at the same time.
The protocol was:
both cars approach the tight space, then slow or stop.
I flash my lights to let the other guy know he can proceed, and I will wait for him.
(yes, it was awkward when both of us flashed headlights at the same time, but at least we had both slowed/stopped by then.)

Being an American, that weirded me out at first. There are no streets like that where I came from, but it is an example where being able to flash the headlight is useful. (and probably why the feature exists in the Euro version of the NC.)

I hope truckers will recognize it for the safe, polite gesture it's meant to be, but I can't guarantee that.

Last edited:
There are two side of a coin depending what your argument point and perspective. The idea of flashing is - conspicuity. You want to be seen and heard. Whether the incoming traffic, the pedestrian or the big rig behind you aware or care which in all cases should remain exactly that, I don't think anyone could argue when the idea of safety and conspicuity come into place. Forwarding to today's advanced LED and HID technology, you will notice compared to stock lamp.

The idea of the pass switch is so you pump it up and down a few times, in addition to using your turn signals indicating that you're going to pull out to pass - so that the driver you're passing and maybe any oncoming traffic might just notice you are there.

Given that a high percentage of road users take about 20 seconds to realize that there is an ambulance or police car with lights flashing and siren sounding whilst trying to pass them I think the idea is a bit optimistic.

They do with mine, thinking there is a locomotive on the road...or maybe their last day has arrived with that bright white light ?

IMG_0481 (Small).JPG

I've installed a relay that also powers my lower LEDs lights as soon as I hit the Hi-beam switch.. wooooaaaah ! Get outta there !

Last edited:
Back