• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Mpg?

Kurt700x

Reaction score
Visit site
So... Ive been wondering for a while now. What is a 700x dct's actual mpg?! Honda says 68 mpg, other websites say 61 mpg. But I feel like its getting that much and more. I need to actually start punching numbers in my calculator, upon fill-ups. But, I was curious to hear what your guys' experiences have been.

Honda NC700X MPG - Actual MPG from 464 Honda NC700X owners
Honda NC700X DCT ABS MPG - Actual MPG from 124 Honda NC700X DCT ABS owners

A much bigger sample set than a few anecdotes here.

In my experience fuel economy is highly dependant on speed and how you ride. I'm sure if you adjusted the nut behind the bars you could easily get 68 mpg.

With knobby tires and a big windscreen and moderately quick speeds I am generally right around 4 l/100km (59 US mpg) but when I was learning to ride, had street tires and the stock windshield, I was more in the 3.2 l/100km (74 US mpg) range. I ride a 2012 with standard transmission.

Last edited:
Honda NC700X MPG - Actual MPG from 464 Honda NC700X owners
Honda NC700X DCT ABS MPG - Actual MPG from 124 Honda NC700X DCT ABS owners

A much bigger sample set than a few anecdotes here.

In my experience fuel economy is highly dependant on speed and how you ride. I'm sure if you adjusted the nut behind the bars you could easily get 68 mpg.

With knobby tires and a big windscreen and moderately quick speeds I am generally right around 4 l/100km (59 US mpg) but when I was learning to ride, had street tires and the stock windshield, I was more in the 3.2 l/100km (74 US mpg) range. I ride a 2012 with standard transmission.

My data is included in those Fuelly distribution curves. My 2012 manual transmission NC returned an average 66.9 mpg over 13,826 miles. The 2015 DCT returned 62.7 mpg tracked across 17,141 miles. This bike has a much larger windscreen than the first one.

Last edited:
Actual mpg all depends on how the NC is ridden, and how many aerodynamically unfriendly accessories you’ve added to push through the wind. I started out averaging around 80 mpg but now it’s closer to 75 as accessories were added. My Fuelly tracker over 34,000 miles stands at 76 mpg.

The other NC I own doesn’t do as well. I don’t know why, perhaps because I ride it differently. It’s more in line with the 68 mpg Honda suggests, but that’s still remarkably good.

The Fuelly bell curve linked in post #2 contains enough data samples to give pretty realistic mpg averages for the bike.

I need to actually start punching numbers in my calculator, upon fill-ups. But, I was curious to hear what your guys' experiences have been.

Think about using "fuelly.com". You enter each fill up there, and it tracks all that data for you. You can also use fuelly to see what other riders MPG is on the same machine.

[THIS] is MPG data from my rides.

I enter each fuel up in fuelly at the pump on my cell phone.

I started out averaging around 80 mpg but now it’s closer to 75 as accessories were added. My Fuelly tracker over 34,000 miles stands at 76 mpg.

That's Amazing! I've got into the 80's only a couple times. I presume rider weight has something to do with that.
I'm at 225 lbs, but I figure a lighter rider would have better results.

Edit: I take that back. Looking at the data for my specific year (2012), most folks get 65 MPG...which is what I get... that # seems to vary more by year than by rider.

Last edited:
It’s actually very easy to consistently obtain 80 mpg. Keep it under 45 mph on roads that allow a steady throttle setting.

That's Amazing! I've got into the 80's only a couple times. I presume rider weight has something to do with that.
I'm at 225 lbs, but I figure a lighter rider would have better results.

Edit: I take that back. Looking at the data for my specific year (2012), most folks get 65 MPG...which is what I get... that # seems to vary more by year than by rider.

I’d think weight has almost nothing to do with it. Steady throttle, lower speeds, and minimal wind resistance are the keys. Most riders want a more spirited ride, and the mileage is reflected accordingly. It's still good compared to most other motorcycle models no matter how you ride it.

Last edited:
+1 ^^^

I have a specific route of just under 100 miles I use when trying to get the best possible mpg run. It has 1 traffic signal and a roundabout at the turnaround point. I return to the same gas pump at the station that’s the beginning of the route. My ST1300 averages 43.1 mpg but ridden under 50 mph on this route it returns ~60 mpg.

Heh, at an average of 64mpg then i'm right there in the hunt! I feel pretty good about that then, now i want to squeeze more out of it, Muuwhahahhaha!
:{)

Last edited:
Well, I will definitely have to try Fuelly.com! The bike I'm riding is supposed to get a little less mpg then all of yours. I have the 2016 DCT. It being automatic helps in traffic but doesn't help with gas mileage like it should. I put it in manual sometimes and get into 6th gear a bit sooner than it would in auto, but usually I keep it in auto and it seems to have a little bit higher shift points than are necessary.

I'm also 225 like Strat is! I'm sure weight is a factor, but obviously smaller than wind resistance (which I try to duck under the windscreen as much as I can), steady throttle (which I have a throttle assist that helps), and speed (which I try to keep it 75 and under).

It's still nice to give it full throttle, and look down at the 43 mpg. HAHA. Nothing beats twisting that wrist, and still getting better gas milage than 95% of cars out there. I also, had my gf on the back last week, and I was going up a decent grade hill at 80mph, and was still getting 55. I couldn't be happier, honestly. It's a great feeling being on a bike that doesn't hurt the pocket book.

Thank You all for your comments! And my apologies, for not realizing I posted this in the 750 column.

CA gas price is starting to hurt some. ($3.53/gal at home $4.10 in some places.)
Makes me ride the NC more and the FJR less.

CA gas price is starting to hurt some. ($3.53/gal at home $4.10 in some places.)
Makes me ride the NC more and the FJR less.

$3.53USD/GAL is about $1.20CAD/L. I'm paying $1.25CAD/L ($3.67USD/GAL) and expecting another $0.04CAD/L ($0.12USD/gal) hike overnight tonight so I know what you mean. I wish I could just get rid of the car and have only the bike, but that would make for some pretty deadly winter driving..

I have a nearly ideal (for high mpg) commute with nearly level two-lane roads in the country, few stoplights or stop signs, 50MPH speed limit, and a 50 mile round-trip to make sure the bike is thoroughly warmed up during the ride. I put in three consecutive months of commuting with a focus on mpg and ended up at 83.4mpg. I found the best possible mileage to be at ~47mph with really steady throttle settings. On more than one occasion, I watched the mpg gauge on the bike showing 88+mpg for as long as 15 minutes stretches.

My bike (Skookum) has the tall oem windshield, oem panniers and an oem top bag so it's not the most aerodynamic machine.

All that said, it was an interesting and impressive test but the bike is just too much fun to limit my riding to 47mph all the time so I am actually averaging around 62 mpg with more spirited weekend rides and some two-up riding thrown into the mix with my commuting.
What a great machine!
>T

I keep her in the right lane, limit the fun meter to 65mph and stay out of peoples way. I have the manual trans so I short shift and easy on and easy off the throttle and it turns up something in the 70+mpg range pretty easy. Been in the 80+mpg range a couple of times, but typically after riding in the mountains where the road dictates slower speeds and few stops. If you want good fuel economy this is the bike to get it for you with not a lot of effort. And if you decide you don't care about the MPG then the fun meter can go a lot higher if you want.

On more than one occasion, I watched the mpg gauge on the bike showing 88+mpg for as long as 15 minutes stretches. >T

Hey OT...what "MPG" gauge are you referring to...? Do you have an aftermarket MPG gauge or does your year/model have one built in to the factory gauge pod? Thanks, :{)

Fuel prices in B.C. (that's British Columbia although the Albertans claim it stands for "Bring Cash") took a 15% jump in the last few days. Now paying 149.9 L in the interior and in the high 150's on the coast.

Think I'll be a little easier on the throttle this summer.

Fuel prices in B.C. (that's British Columbia although the Albertans claim it stands for "Bring Cash") took a 15% jump in the last few days. Now paying 149.9 L in the interior and in the high 150's on the coast.

Think I'll be a little easier on the throttle this summer.

158.9 was at a pump I passed today. I am close enough to Washington that I do 100 litre trips to save the $40 plus.

Went for a little 196 mile ride today after work over to Ritzville Wa and back. Beautiful sunny day, light cross winds about 10-14 mph, Freshly oiled chain and kept my freeway speed about 65+/- netting me 2.6 gallons used and 74.14 MPG!!! WhooYaah, personal best! :{)
NC700x with old train caboose in Ritzville.jpg

Last edited:
My 2015 DCT has the selectable trip meter that indicates total miles (odometer), trip A, trip B, or MPG.

The MPG meter is not a precision device (I do not know what they actually monitor to get their instantaneous number - probably something as simple as throttle setting and wheel speed?) and it appears to update its display about once every 10 seconds but it's interesting to watch nonetheless.

I actually track my mileage through my 'membership' gas station. I always buy my fuel (non-ethanol) from one of two stations here in town and they bill me at the end of the month. When you swipe your card into the card reader at the station, they ask for your PIN number and your odometer reading. The statement that they send to me shows the gallons purchased and the odometer reading for each purchase. It's sort of like Fuelie except it's automatic - no app to play with. The only time it doesn't work well is if I am on a trip out of town - then I have to manually add in the fuel purchased at other stations.
>T

Back