• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Service manuals question: Model-specific vs. common

MZ5

Reaction score
Visit site
What kind of stuff is in the "common" service manual? When I get the NCX-specific one, will it be constantly referring me to the 'common' manual for things like torque values, or disassembly/assembly procedures?

I remember the common service manual from years ago but I don't recall any references to it in the NC manual. It was a way to keep from reprinting all the common service items that were common for all bikes. Specific and general torque values are provided.

There is a common service manual listed in my owner's manual. What you are wanting is the shop manual. It has all the torque values and how tos for everything from removing a body panel to rebuilding the engine.

There is a common service manual listed in my owner's manual. What you are wanting is the shop manual. It has all the torque values and how tos for everything from removing a body panel to rebuilding the engine.

I think, to the point of MZ5's question, the difference is that it is not constantly referred to as it used to be. In fact, I have yet to come on a reference to it in the service manual work instructions. Not that some don't exist.

If you want to work on bikes this can be the most valuable manual you will ever by. It will brake down ,explain how every thing works on your bike in detail. IN DETAIL AS TO HOW IT ACTUALLY WORKS. AND HOW TO CHECK IT. AFTER FORTY YEARS OF BEING A HONDA TECH I STILL USE THIS MANUAL. THE NC MANUAL WILL TELL YOU HOW TO DO THINGS, BUT NOT HOW THEY WORK. PART NUMBER IS 61CSM00 FOR THE COMMON SERVICE MANUAL.

Thanks. After posting this request, I discovered that the common service manual is available at no-charge from Honda Rider's Club of America's site. I posted a link to it in another thread here.

If you want to work on bikes this can be the most valuable manual you will ever by. It will brake down ,explain how every thing works on your bike in detail. IN DETAIL AS TO HOW IT ACTUALLY WORKS. AND HOW TO CHECK IT. AFTER FORTY YEARS OF BEING A HONDA TECH I STILL USE THIS MANUAL. THE NC MANUAL WILL TELL YOU HOW TO DO THINGS, BUT NOT HOW THEY WORK. PART NUMBER IS 61CSM00 FOR THE COMMON SERVICE MANUAL.

I didn't remember it as instructional. I had one about 20 years ago. So, I'll soon have a fresh one from Helm and about two months of house arrest to commit it to memory. Thanks!

Back