• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Nolan N85 Virage Helmet Review!

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
In the market for a new helmet to replace my aging Scorpion Exo 700 I looked at several lids by a few different makers. A few things I was looking for was better ventilation, an integral flip down tinted inner visor, and a matte finish.

I looked and tried on the Scoprion EXO1000 and 500, HJC IS16, 707 Vendettat 3. But, I ended up with a helmet that I couldn't see or try on!

The all new full face helmet from Nolan, the N85 Virage:

515sJSsS1tL._SS350_.jpg

I loved the look of the matte finish graphic on the Virage (comes in solids and Vortex graphic), it really fits with the NC700X's look. The reviews have all been pretty stellar so I took a flyer (since I couldn't try one on anywhere) and ordered it from revzilla.com for $207 (they price matched and I had $20 of revzilla cash from a prior purchase).

In the box comes a the helmet, a chin curtain and a fog free visor insert that works with the Pinlok ready shield.

The paint/graphic finish on my helmet was excellent. Inserting the chin curtain was a little bit of a pain, but I got it in there.

Fit: Having my Scorpion EXO700 and HJC helmets for reference, the fit is snug and less "plush" than the other helmets. The N85 doesn't seem to have the thicker padding that the other helmets do. Not being familiar with Nolan I don't know if this is more of a Euro sensibility or a Nolan thing. Cheek pads are pretty snug and will break in over time. Even so, the fit is comfortable. I really like the ratchet style closure.
IMGP3143.jpg

Visor: I LOVE the flip down visor. Unlike the other helmets I tried, Nolan uses a darker tint on their visor and it makes a BIG difference when riding into the sun. The lever is easy to find and use. Like most other flip down visors, it doesn't come down far enough to eliminate the edge of the visor from being in view. Not a big issue for me, but YMMV.
IMGP3142.jpg

IMGP3139.jpg

Venting: Compared to my EXO700 is great. There are only three vents (chin, and two on top) along with a venturi style exhaust vent alont the entire width of the rear helemt spoiler. When the upper vents are open (they are scoop style) you can feel them working, something I never really felt with my Scorpion.

IMGP3138.jpg

IMGP3141.jpg

IMGP3140.jpg

I have not installed the fog free Pinlok insert yet so I cannot comment on how it compares to Scorpions great fog-free shields. But, the Visor has a vent mode that is very effective and surprisingly does not introduce additional wind noise when cracked open. The seal when completely closed is quite good, the gasket around the opening is soft and seals very well.

Wind noise when compared to my EXO700 is quite good (as in quieter). Even with the top vents open, it is noticeably quieter than my Scorpion. I think the shape of the helmet and the better seal of the visor are contributing factors.

At highway speeds there is no "head whip" when looking side to side.

Overall, I am VERY pleased with this helmet. The other plus: It fits in the tank trunk!! ;)

Edit: Forgot to add, this is ready to receive Nolan's N-Com bluetooth system. You can see the cover in the first pic (says N-Com). It has speaker pockets molded into the EPS liner as well. Not something I will use, but some of you might!

Last edited:
Beauty! :cool: Graphics do look suited to the NCX "basket weave" seat material and upper front side panels.

Are there 3 vents or 4?

*squints at screen*

-1 chin
-1 forehead
-2 upper scoops?

There are only three. Upper scoops (2) and chin (1). The European version has an additional vent at the forehead. I must say again, just those three inlet vents and the venturi exhaust vent at the back do a much better job than my EXO700 (which total of 8 vents) of moving air through the helmet.

I inadvertently posted a pic of the euro version and have corrected it to show the US version that is being reviewed. DOH!! :eek:

Last edited:
Good write up Tweak. I may be in the market for one soon as I've had the same Shoei so long, I can't remember how old it is! Would you say the size is similar to the size you wore before?

...I have not installed the fog free Pinlok insert yet so I cannot comment on how it compares to Scorpions great fog-free shields...

Edit: Forgot to add, this is ready to receive Nolan's N-Com bluetooth system. You can see the cover in the first pic (says N-Com). It has speaker pockets molded into the EPS liner as well. Not something I will use, but some of you might!

I have a Nolan N102 and N103. Pop in that fog insert. It works amazingly well. I'm very pleased with mine and have it mounted in both helmets.
I have the J&M Bluetooth module and headsets mounted in the N-Com port on my helmet. Very cool system.

Thanks for taking the time to do the review. It was very thorough. Nolan makes quality stuff. Enjoy the new helmet!

WGW

Cyclerosis,

As far as sizing, it falls in line with what I wear in most other helmets I have owned (HJC, Icon, Bell, Scorpion) which is a Large. It's more of a round oval compared to the more round shape of the Scorpion I replaced.

wgwgoldwing,

Thanks for the info, I'm popping it in this weekend. With the cooler mornings, finally here I'll need it!

Back