• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Frunk: Pushbutton access?

Super Moderator 670cc informed me that my 2022 would have a different style of key, so neither the HD105 nor the HD109 would (probably) work. I'm still checking it out. But thanks for your response David.

Oh, well yes, they do. Looks like I'll have to do some more research then.

Thank you.
dduelin is right...There is no ilco blank that I know of for the wave keys with a groove in the center. They make wave key blanks without the groove. You'll have to get a O.E. Honda key blank and have it cut, and epoxy it into the radio knob or aerosol lid

rX4QW3yh.jpg

YOGvnhgh.jpg

d7BWCsnh.jpg

7qOdOBuh.jpg

Super Moderator 670cc informed me that my 2022 would have a different style of key, so neither the HD105 nor the HD109 would (probably) work. I'm still checking it out. But thanks for your response David.
As pointed out, a '22 takes a different key blank. I don't know if yours is the same as my '21, but @the Ferret's pictures above (post #23) show a '21 key. Read this thread, particularly post #19. I ordered a $1 key blank from Ali eggspress and will post what I think of the blank when I get it. If the blank fits in my ignition and its measurements are the same, I will probably order a bunch more (scroll around that page). There are quite a few to choose from, but for $3 or so apiece, shipped, I will take my chances. Once I have several, I will try to duplicate my key myself...the learning experience will be worth $10 to $15.

My point is not to hijack this thread, but to point you to a cheap source of blanks. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. It will be interesting to see if the budget blank works, has same dimensions, etc. Even if it only works on the frunk lock and not the ignition, that would be good enough; maybe even better. Let me know what you find out. Also, how would you plan on duplicating your factory keys since you probably can't get it done at the local Ace Hardware (or CAN you)?

Let me know what you find out. Also, how would you plan on duplicating your factory keys since you probably can't get it done at the local Ace Hardware (or CAN you)?
I will post here what I find when I get the key. As for duplicating the profile, there are a few real locksmiths shops around here that I will talk to re price to cut the key. That is not my default, however. I plan to cut the key myself. Many years ago, in school, a fellow student looked at the Sargent Maximum Security key system used in our dorm, ground off the point of a counter sink, and used a drill press and vise to craft a master key (he simply 'added up' all the depressions and included the ones that were the same - the system is not rocket science). I have a cheap harbor fright milling machine and I will try to dupe one key with that. If I fail, I might try using an engraving machine I inherited (for jewelry) but that has some inherent problems - it reduces the size 50%. I'll post here how this works out, but the locksmiths shops are probably the way to go with a cheap blank. At least you cut the costs significantly.

Why am I doing all this for a beeping spare key when I can spend a few bucks and have it done? Pride in figuring it out, and I've made a lifestyle of doing most things myself and learning new skills. There is also an element of, 'Why did the farmer bang his head against his barn?' - Because it felt so good when he stopped.:D

I respect your D.I.Y attitude. A master key for the dorm, huh? Hope no one was expelled ;)
LOL, actually, his master key unlocked more than just our dorm. When he told the dorm counselor, and was turned in, they called Sargent. A Tech guy showed up and gave the kid a box with a whole bunch of locks and keys and told him if he could devise a system that would prevent twerps like him from defeating their system, they would pay him handsomely. This is a true story - but by then the lad had moved on to other interesting projects. This was a pretty good engineering school, and I'm not sure what he ended up doing. This was almost 55 years ago....

From fall of '70 thru spring of '72, I lived in a dorm at OSU. It was a 10-story building so it had 4 elevators. We used to try to get in trouble by "elevator surfing". Push the button for the floor below so the elevator would stop, jimmy the elevator lobby doors of the upper floor open, then get on top of the car and ride. You could control the elevator with controls located on top of the cab. People would freak out when it stopped between floors, etc. We also used the elevators to gain access to the underground tunnels that ran everywhere under the campus. Some of these were ancient. We would go to the basement, send the elevator up; stopping at a few floors so we had some time. Then jimmy the elevator lobby doors open and climb down into the pit, which gave us access to the tunnels. We would spend hours down there. Given the political climate back then, I'm sure we would have been expelled or possibly jailed for our activities. To us, it was just fun. Ahh, the craziness of being young...

Back