• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

US Rt. 6 trip...

jggassert

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I grew up just off of Rt 6 in Upstate Pennsylvania, I know it was, at one point a transcontinental route, and have always wanted to make the trip. Now that I have the NC, I'd like to get it properly outfitted, and make this trip.

I'd like to start in P-Town, as it's close to where my girlfriend is from, and head west...and then turn around and head back maybe on I-40 or I-10 and stop by some of old haunts out west.

What kind of timeline am I looking at for this kind of mileage, so I can take the time off work? I've driven 2,300 miles by car, but never a trip like this on a bike. I am interested in the thoughts from those of you who have gone similar distances. I think I can handle the packing list, but might look for advice on spare parts and what not to bring along.

Also, as an added bonus I would like to make this trip to raise some money for The Wounded Warrior Project...as a wounded warrior myself, I'd like to help out my brothers and sisters and show them my support.

te9uhuge.jpg

yjanequd.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The last trip I took was to Utah and Colorado area from MN. Total mileage just over 3600 mi. Days gone was 6 so I was averaging 600 mi. per day. Wished I'd have more time to tour those areas but had to get back. Over the years I've figured out if I'm planning on a 600 mi. day I'm going to be on the road for about 10 or so hours depending on route taken of course. When the 10 hrs. are divided in the 600 mi. that averages out to 50 +/- mph. I guess I've always figured it this way when you consider your time to stop/fuel/chow.

The more day's you allow , the more you can stop and smell the roses. All depends on how hard you want to ride. Hope this helps , safe travels to you:).

I rode from PA to CA a year ago. Gave my self some time to stop whenever I wanted to and got stopped by snow twice so it took me 11 days. On the way home I was just trying to make good time but had to quit early one day due to severe (like tornado severe) wind so it took me 7 days. As BacktoChain has stated, it all depends on whether you choose mileage or distractions. Frankly if you wanted to really see as much as possible I would recommend taking at least three weeks or maybe even a full month if possible.

As far as what to bring here is my tip for clothes and other non-essentials. Figure out what you think you need, lay it all out on the bed and then leave half of it at home. You can get as crazy as you want with tools and parts but if nothing else get a tire repair kit (plugs or sticky string) and a small compressor and make sure your bike is wired up to run the compressor. Signing up for some type of roadside assistance plan would be wise. AMA, AAA or the like.

BTW - Thank you for your service and sacrifice.

You will average about 60 mph, because of fill up time. That is fill up the bike and fill up the body. So, a minute per mile.

Oh yeah almost forgot, let me know when!

Last big trip I did was 600 mile days on the freeway to get to my "starting point", then 100-300 miles for my curvy road sightseeing days. I still would've liked more time for sightseeing. So for what you're trying to do...a month?
Spare parts? You don't need no stinkin' spare parts. Some fuses and maybe a chain if you've got a fair amount of miles on yours. Make sure your tires are good or plan for a change along the way (call and set up in advance to be sure they'll have the tire you want). If you're kinda clumsy like me get spare brake and shift levers. Take a basic tool kit - tire plugs, compressor (which you can find to fit in the fake air duct beside the frunk), chain adjustment tools and lube, allen wrenches, multi-bit screwdriver, 10, 12, and 14mm wrenches/sockets so you can get into her if need be. Most of the tools will fit in the 'toolkit' that came with the bike, which will then fit under your rear seat. And yeah, look into roadside assistance. If the bike dies mysteriously, it'll be on a dark, stormy night in the middle of nowhere.
As Silverhound said, set out the clothes you think you need and then put half of them back in the dresser/closet. Try to focus on things that will do double duty and that will dry quickly so you can wash them in a hotel/campground sink at the end of the day if need be.
Also - training rides. If you're planning 600 mile days, ride 600 mile days leading up to your trip. Besides building your riding stamina, you'll find out what tweaks you need to make to the bike before you're actually out there.

I think you want to go to the trip by road then you use bike if you want to enjoy during the road trip many distances will be you cover and hopefully you did it..

Last edited:
Back