• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

So what is the 0.0 counting during a low fuel warning?

FCAsheville

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I read the manual and can't seem to find the answer. When I hit the last bar and the 0.0 starts blinking what exactly is that showing? I've rarely gone very far on that last gallon and yesterday it clicked over to 0.1 finally.

depends on the year of your bike, on 21s and up the thing flashes reserve with a red block in the upper left fuel gauge, on the lower left side counts up in 1/10's of a gallon as you use reserve to 7/10ths and flashes reserve which speeds up as you hit 4/10s of reserved used iirc. On the right side it continues to count up in miles while on reserve. I normally get 6 or 7 miles per 1/10th on reserve, so at 14 miles it would roll up to 2/10 on the lower left, at 21 miles 3/10 etc up to 7/10s. Don't know what it does beyond there as I have never gone past 6/10's on reserve before filling up.

Note these pics were taken at different times on different days

5cKAJayh.jpg

3cA0hxTh.jpg

On my 2015 it would go to 0.0 the moment the fuel gauge registered reserve. It’s counting up the 10th of gallons of gasoline burn since reserve. I think it also can toggle to the number of miles traveled since it’s been on reserve. On my bike I figured that it had 3/4 gallon remaining once it it went on reserve but that amount does vary depending on how much braking and acceleration I was doing just before reserve.

hmm I thought I read that the earlier ones counted down, while the newer ones count up. Probably read it in a magazine review.

Doesn't matter you have it figured out.

hmm I thought I read that the earlier ones counted down, while the newer ones count up. Probably read it in a magazine review.

Doesn't matter you have it figured out.
Fortunately, 2012 and 2013 displays don’t count at all. The guage flashes the red bar, the trip meters remain displayed, and any math necesary to determine when I’ll be out of fuel is easily done in my head.

Last edited:
Fortunately, 2012 and 2013 displays don’t count at all. The guage flashes the red bar, the trip meters remain displayed, and any math necesary to determine when I’ll be out of fuel is easily done in my head.
Indeed. I am happy to have the relatively simple 2012 display. One bar left? Look for gas station. One bar flashing? Look harder.:p

Indeed. I am happy to have the relatively simple 2012 display. One bar left? Look for gas station. One bar flashing? Look harder.:p
On the 2012, there is no normal valid state where one fuel gauge bar displays solid. As fuel level drops, the gauge goes from two bars solid to one bar flashing.

depends on the year of your bike, on 21s and up the thing flashes reserve with a red block in the upper left fuel gauge, on the lower left side counts up in 1/10's of a gallon as you use reserve to 7/10ths and flashes reserve which speeds up as you hit 4/10s of reserved used iirc. On the right side it continues to count up in miles while on reserve. I normally get 6 or 7 miles per 1/10th on reserve, so at 14 miles it would roll up to 2/10 on the lower left, at 21 miles 3/10 etc up to 7/10s. Don't know what it does beyond there as I have never gone past 6/10's on reserve before filling up.

Note these pics were taken at different times on different days

[image]
I tested my range last week on my '21.
The fuel reserve counter got up to 0.8 and then it died under throttle at a stoplight. I could start the engine, but could not go. A quick fill-up from a fuel bottle and I was on my way.

I tested my range last week on my '21.
The fuel reserve counter got up to 0.8 and then it died under throttle at a stoplight. I could start the engine, but could not go. A quick fill-up from a fuel bottle and I was on my way.
Wow when they say .78 reserve, they must mean it lol.

So, out of curiosity, how many miles did you get out of the tank? I think the furthest I have gone is 232 miles and still had a few tenths of a gallon left on reserve. Pretty sure I could have gone 250 before I had to start pushing.

Wow when they say .78 reserve, they must mean it lol.

So, out of curiosity, how many miles did you get out of the tank? I think the furthest I have gone is 232 miles and still had a few tenths of a gallon left on reserve. Pretty sure I could have gone 250 before I had to start pushing.
Not very good My daily commute usually includes about 10 minutes of crawling traffic at an uphill angle of ~25 degrees so I tend to average about 50-55 mpg. I think it was close to 190 miles when it ran out.
I think on flat ground at a decent clip 250 is well within reason for the NC.

I still rely primarily on my own calculations of expected mpg from the current tank and the B trip meter. Example might be I estimate 65 mpg times 3.2 gallons on the current tank (.5 gal reserve) returns safe 208 mile range or stretched to 227 miles. Fuel gauges are nice but are secondary information for me. It's a weird thing with me for most of my driving life to obsessively track mpg for tens of thousands of miles in every type of driving/riding. Old days was a little notebook, now using the Fuelly app.

As other riders have mentioned the fuel monitor will count up from zero letting you know how much fuel you have used since the low level starting point.

I did a test on my 2014 NC700x.
Brought a spare gas can, then ran the bike till I was out of gas.
In my case it counted up to 0.6 gals, and I want 42 miles.
Added a gallon of gas to the tank and the bike started right up no issues or long cranking.

-andy

Back