• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Ride Across Virginia - The Adventure Continues

Yesterday morning started out early heading south on VA-16. Another cold morning. I would not have made it the last couple days without HotHands Toe Warmers. Never used them before and they are great. Still below 40f at noon and my feet were fine. With my heated grips broken I also broke down and bought some Mobile Warming battery gloves. It was that or cancel my plans. They work fine, but battery gloves are for commuting, not travel due to limitations of battery life. Level one not enough and level 2 marginal with around 4 hours battery life. Luckily mid 40s in afternoon I could get by without them.

Prior to leaving Virginia I passed through a town named for me.
IMG_20140418_072452.jpg

Passing into North Carolina the roads stayed fun. I made a slight detour for the original location of an institution in this region, Mast General Store. They have other locations in western North Carolina.

Original Store
IMG_20140418_072404.jpg

Annex a block away. Had to stop here too for the candy selection.
IMG_20140418_072341.jpg

I knew it was a mistake as I always buy something there I didn't know I needed. A Warthog V-blade knife sharpener for only $80.00. This thing is great. Don't watch the video, it could be expensive. ;)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PIrwm17dYxA

Heading further southwest I passed an entrance to Blueridge Parkway which would normally have been my route, but seeing 38f on my thermometer decided I didn't need to be a few thousand feet higher right then. Crossed the parkway and got on I-40 for 40 miles through Asheville and on to Canton. I was then 30 minutes plus lunch to my destination of Blueridge Motorcycle Campround. Put gear in cabin and mounted up with a couple of friends to use the remaing daylight sitting on the saddle. :)

The adventure continues to the next phase. :) :) :)

Last edited:
With my heated grips broken I also broke down and bought some Mobile Warming battery gloves. It was that or cancel my plans. They work fine, but battery gloves are for commuting, not travel due to limitations of battery life. Level one not enough and level 2 marginal with around 4 hours battery life. Luckily mid 40s in afternoon I could get by without them.

I'm enjoying the pictures and story.

I agree with you on the Mobile Warming Gloves. I have a set of the gloves and since I only commute they work great. Your dead on regarding the settings. I typically keep them at level 3. Level 4 keeps it bearable down to 20F. I have a half hour trip one-way and they will almost make it the entire week when set at level 3. These gloves would definitely not be good for long cold trips.

If you haven't ridden 58 on either east or west of Mouth of Wilson that's a treat. I'd headed east to stay at Willville MC camp over at Meadows of Dan but I know you have your own trip and were headed to Cruso. I briefly thought of high tailing it to Cruso this afternoon / evening to join you for a couple days but we are in for a massive rain event tonight in north FL and GA. Have Fun!

If you haven't ridden 58 on either east or west of Mouth of Wilson that's a treat. I'd headed east to stay at Willville MC camp over at Meadows of Dan but I know you have your own trip and were headed to Cruso. I briefly thought of high tailing it to Cruso this afternoon / evening to join you for a couple days but we are in for a massive rain event tonight in north FL and GA. Have Fun!
Didn't have time this trip, but I agree the Crooked Road is a good one. Of course how could you go wrong with a name like "Crooked Road"?
IMG_4791.jpg

Good thread and trip! Thanks for the link to the motorcycle roads map (or whatever it's called) in the beginning of the thread. I'm very new to this, so it's all new!

Hey fuzzy, forgot to ask, what is the platform thingy in front of your tail bag that's over the back seat?

I need some idea on how to pack a lot and still be able to add gas. Going to ask a related question in another section.

Last edited:
Gorgeous pics on the road and maybe these pics are encouraging for those who are fearful about the road trip specially on bike and impressed with your trip may be I also make plans for a road trip in the next month..

Gorgeous pics on the road and maybe these pics are encouraging for those who are fearful about the road trip specially on bike and impressed with your trip may be I also make plans for a road trip in the next month..

Just be prepared for changes in weather and try to leave at home things you don't really need on the road. I always regret carrying things I didn't need on the trip.

hello Fuzzy good stuff, can't wait for my first adventure :).
I've been up there three times on a bike to visit my son's family. One time went west to head down Blue Ridge Parkway home. Another north up the coast to New York to see start of Antique Motorcycle Cannonball. This trip headed to Winchester. The ride along the river west from Williamsburg is great. If coming back to VA Beach you can make a loop both sides of the river and take a ferry across near Williamsburg. Going up the Outer Banks to get there was great too.

I'll be back next month, but in my truck. He will be flying in the Military Aviation Museum's Symphony air show.

Back