• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question: Ignition switch defect? Keyslot can swing freely around.

happy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.nc700-forum.com
Hello all

I noticed this about my ignition switch (key). I am able to turn the keyslot without inserting the key fully into the slot. I mean I could even use a screwdriver to turn it 40 deg clockwise or counterclockwise. (I did not try more)

This does not turn the ignition on, but it kind of worries me, that this keyslot is "freely rotating".

Can someone explain this? Is this a defect?

~Joe

I don't think it hurts anything, mine will go around 360 degrees. I noticed it the first day I got mine.

I don't think it hurts anything, mine will go around 360 degrees. I noticed it the first day I got mine.
Thanks...Turbo.
:D

BTW, why did you notice it? Did you already tried to hotwire it via a screwdriver? I am happy to have the HISS system included in the price. First moto I own, to have this disabling system.

All that turns on mine is the cap that covers the ignition, not the ignition itself. I just put the tip of the key in about 1/4'' and could turn 360 degrees.
It was mentioned on another forum.

Sticking Ignition lock. Last night I had problems getting the ignition key to function properly. The key would hang up as it was pushed into the cylinder and once it was completey in at the proper depth, it would not turn. I continued to finesse it, and alternately tried it in the storage compartment cylinder. After 10 or so attempts it finally worked. This morning it also hung up again, so I decided to spray graphite into the cylinder of both the ignition and the storage/gas tank cylinders. Appears to be OK now. Anyone aware of potential issues from using a graphite spray?

My bike sets out every evening while at work and collects a great deal of moisture/dew. Is this a potential issue with an exposed, vertically mounted cylinder that will allow rain, dew and dirt to drift down into the cylinder? Should this cylinder key access port be protected if the bike sets out every evening ... a daily event? I have never had any problem with my other bike, but is is positioned horizontally (similar to an automobile)

Sticking Ignition lock. Last night I had problems getting the ignition key to function properly... Anyone aware of potential issues from using a graphite spray?

...Should this cylinder key access port be protected if the bike sets out every evening ... a daily event? I have never had any problem with my other bike, but is is positioned horizontally (similar to an automobile)

I've periodically used graphite spray on all my locks, house, cars, trucks, and bikes, and never had a problem with them. My bikes are both parked outside, but they're under a carport cover. That's to keep off all the rain we don't get in Tucson, anyway.

You may already have thought of this, but if you're using the fork lock when you leave your bike parked, sometimes you need to "jiggle" the handlebars a little to allow the fork lock bar to free itself from the tree assembly. About like moving the steering wheel slightly when undoing a car's ignition steering lock.

Maybe something is wrong with my bike, my keyslot doesn't spin and I haven't had a problem with the lock sticking even though I ride in the rain alot(FL. rainy season)

I've periodically used graphite spray on all my locks, house, cars, trucks, and bikes, and never had a problem with them. My bikes are both parked outside, but they're under a carport cover. That's to keep off all the rain we don't get in Tucson, anyway.

You may already have thought of this, but if you're using the fork lock when you leave your bike parked, sometimes you need to "jiggle" the handlebars a little to allow the fork lock bar to free itself from the tree assembly. About like moving the steering wheel slightly when undoing a car's ignition steering lock.

I've never used the fork lock function although I may regret it some day. Will probably use it in the "big city". The key hung as I tried to push it into the cylinder just to the point where I could turn the ignition on. Incidentally this was my second occurance of the hanging cylinder... it happened about 2 weeks after I got the bike so I sprayed graphite into the cylinder at that time. Decided to post it after it the second incident (6 weeks after owning the bike). Just another frustration to add to my existiung "pulsating engine" issue.

I "jiggled" the handlebars if I have an issue and all is well. My friends V-Star does the same thing.

Hello all

I noticed this about my ignition switch (key). I am able to turn the keyslot without inserting the key fully into the slot. I mean I could even use a screwdriver to turn it 40 deg clockwise or counterclockwise. (I did not try more)

This does not turn the ignition on, but it kind of worries me, that this keyslot is "freely rotating".

Can someone explain this? Is this a defect?

~Joe

Mine also does it, and i always have to wiggle for key cause I always use the fok(edit/should be fork) lock, which byits very nature binds sorta.
to all the others, thanks for the info on graphite, will use that myself on my locks.
phipun

Back