• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Lowering Link- impact in Shock Preload (need help)

Little Ed

Reaction score
Visit site
I have begun my quest to lower my bike so that more than my toes touch the ground. I installed a set of lowering links I fabricated and now find the rear of the bike is not as firm when pushing down on the rear of the bike. My question is what should I do to to re-establish the firmer suspension as it was with the stock link?

The stock link is 133 mm. When settting on the side kickstand (with the OEM link), the rear of the bike is solid and does not compress down very easily, unless a substantial amount of pressure is applied vertically. My initial link set was drilled at 145mm(on-center), which dropped the bike 1 3/8" (measured vertically from rear axle to upper frame). With the stock kickstand, this was too much of a drop and did not allow enough lean over to solidly hold the bike. I then fabricated another set of links at 140.5 mm which dropped the rear only 7/8". This 7/8" of drop puts me flat footed on the ground and puts the bike at a decent "lean-over" angle and feels fairly secure (except for the issue I note below).

Now that I have lowered the bike, I have noticed that a very slight amount of downward pressure on the bike results in the bike frame dropping 1/2" or so. It essentially drops enough so that the leanover angle is reduced further, impacting it's stability on the side kickstand. Long term I will address the kickstand length, once I finalize the link length that best suits me however, I am concerned about the new ''mushiness of the rear suspension" created by the non-stock length link.

It appears that the longer link drops the bottom of the shock and this reduces the preload on the shock spring, reducing the initial or static firmness of the rear suspension. How do I reestablish that firmness. My initial thoughts are to tighten the spanner nuts, but it appears that that tightenting the spanner nuts will bring the bike frame back up, thus requiring the link holes to be lengtened further.

Is anyone familiar with the interaction of the shock preload and link length- and how the bike can be lowered without leaving the rear suspension softened?

Your problem has me stumped. My bike was lowered 1" at purchase with the Soupy's adjustable link, and there's been no discernible change to the rear suspension's firmness.

When I ordered the bike I discussed with the dealership's manager any possible changes adding the link would bring:
1) was the side stand issue (stock was still ok, but a little upright so I bought the adjustable);
2) getting the bike onto the center stand (ok as it turns out);
3) how much to lower the front forks by to maintain geometry;
and
4) a slight loss of cornering clearance (no problem in my case as I have an aversion to scraping pegs and frame parts). My dealership has fitted links to other NCX's I believe, and a bunch to Wee and Vee Stroms.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

It is possible that I am now keenly aware of the "bike lean" now that I have lowered it so maybe I am oversensitive to the upper level softness of the suspension.

I've had the bike since August and driven it and moved it in the garage nearly every day and never noticed the "top end" softness of the rear end. In fact, prior to installing the lowereing links I even contemplated the possibility of adjusting the spanner nuts tighter thinking it would lower the seat. In fact, the upper end of the suspension travel was so firm I had to push down hard to get the seat lower, and I thought I would have to crank the nuts down quite a bit making the suspension even stiffer consequently, I decided to fabricate some links. I now think that my initial idea (prior to adding the lowering links) is flawed, and that tightening the spanner nuts would have only raised the frame/seat, while stiffening it even more. I feel fairly confident that the addition of the links did reduce the preload on the shock spring and now makes the top end of the suspension a bit softer.......maybe not...

The fact that you've had the bike 9 months 'may' be the relevant fact. I sat on a used one a month or so before buying mine and I thought it was a little lower than the new bike on the floor, and the rear suspension on it felt a tad softer also. I assumed it was just the rear spring and damper softening a little with use. Perhaps that's what's happened to yours? My bike is only a few months old.

Just out of curiosity, how does the suspension act after it drops the half inch with light pressure? Does it rebound back to the original height when the pressure is released or does it stay a half inch down? Once it has moved that initial half inch, if you continue to push, does it have about the same amount of firmness you are used to? I'm definitely not a suspension expert, but I've had bikes with enough shock stiction (stickiness) that after allowing the suspension to fully extend with the rear wheel off the ground height measurement would be too high until the suspension was compressed and allowed to rebound a few times. It may be that is what is happening with your bike. You may find that is what is causing your issues and you may just need to make another set of links that are a little shorter to get your 7/8 inch height reduction.
Another thing that would help a lot is to see if you can find the length of someone's existing links that dropped the rear an inch. That would give you a good starting point.

Good luck,
Bob

Last edited:
you have made no mention of the sag hights static & loaded these all come into play..Unless you get them right your bike will
NEVER handle as it could..even with a crappy standard shock..
the bike should sag about 15% under its own weight & 35/40% with the rider seated..now these are aprox %..yer can read 10 web sites
& come up with 10 diffrent percentages..
the 35/40% can be less 25% if yer rideing smoother ground as you don't require the pre compressed travel to drop into holes off small ridges etc..

Did you lower the front end the same as the rear... to retaine the standard rake & trail ?

If you run enough surspenion sag you may fined that lowering links are not required.. but then you will have a dirt set up
the bike may be mushy in the corners if yer a road rider..

The standard suspension will be the limiting factor as to the sag % you are able to acheive...
That 1/2" drop you were worryed about sounds as if it could be close to the 15% static sag ..

suspension set up is horse's for course's

Last edited:
That is what happens when you change the length of the pull rods, you have changed the curve of the suspension. lots of people do this , but it is not the correct way to lower the rear of a bike ever. the only correct way is to install a shorter shock, eye to eye length. and shorted the stroke also with the shock shaft with a spacer. i shorted lots of rear shocks and forks this way. but your shock is not rebuild able so you are stuck.. call ohlins and order a shock with shorter length and stroke, the take apart the front forks and make spacers for the damping rods, and shorted the springs, this is the correct way to lower a bike. but not cheap.. dale

Or you can just wear boots with 7/8" higher platforms :)

and an image of a rock star!!
acce117.jpg

Back