• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Losse spots in chain @ 580 miles

Monterey10

Reaction score
baylinerownersclub.org
Loose spots in chain @ 580 miles

Okay, the chain has loose spots. It tightens and loosens about 3/4 of an inch. This can't be good for the sprockets. Should I replace the chain with a DID while the sprockets are fairly new, or, just ride it and replace the chain and sprockets when the whole set up packs in.

I noticed that some of the chains are coming with a master link. I hate riveting. I suppose the master link is okay for the 700. Perhaps I'll order a spare and keep it on the bike.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you mean you are measuring at one point along the chain, 1 1/4 in. slack and at another point along the chain 2 in. This does seem to be a large difference, but chains wear-in at different points along their lenght and this should even out when fully broke-in. I have 6.5K on my chain and it still has differences but they are decreasing. The important thing is to not set the slack so that it measures under the recommended slack, so only adjust at the least measurement. I don't think the differences will effect sprocket wear much, with a new chain. Different story with a worn out kinked chain.

Art

I change my chain every 12000 miles, and chain and sprocket every 24000 miles. This is major service point at every 12000 miles. So, by having the parts a few weeks ahead of time this keeps me riding with very little down time.

I use this chain:

DID.jpg

Purchase at any dealership, Tucker #12-2730. Comes with link.6.jpg

SmileyHorny.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
at 580 miles, your chain could just be runned in. If it is worn out, you must be riding very hard or the chain is faulty.
a while ago Honda did a chain inspection for all bikes. Search for it here.

Buying a new set and keeping it on bike is a bit drastic, unless you are on tour?
Take care and ride safe.
:)
Joe

I have around 10,000 miles on my chain and only adjusted 2 times,both times where when the rear wheel was removed!!!.
Never had to adjust it in between wheel removal!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back