• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How useful is a cover and can someone recommend an inexpensive one?

cyrano138

Reaction score
Visit site
I live in a second story apartment so I'll be parking my bike outside. Some friends have told me to get a cover--some to deter thieves and others to protect the bike from the elements. Any thoughts on how effective it will be for either purpose? If you guys recommend getting one, can you recommend and inexpensive but adequate one?

Also, should I lock this up somehow?

jack

being in the UK i can't recommend a cover in the USA but I can recommend that you get one. Not only does it protect your bike from the elements but it also helps keep the enquiring hands of little children off it. I would suggest that you don't get one with a bike logo on it or one that fits too tightly after all why advertise which model you have under there. Also try to go for one that has ventilation and a good method of securing it

I use a Nelson-Rigg. I can't remember the model but I do remember it is a medium (doesn't help much, I know). It only covers about half of my bike (vertically) and doesn't go all the way to the ground. The cover also has an elastic band around the bottom. I only use it when I travel and it packs relatively small. I've had this cover for about 4 years and I think I only paid about 20 bucks for it.

If you will be parking your bike outside there are probably larger covers that would work better. I like having the elastic and I think it would be useful so the cover doesn't blow off. Also, I wouldn't want the cover touching the ground as moisture might wick up the sides. Being in FL, I'd want the thing to certainly be waterproof. Just google "bike covers" and you will probably have more to look at than you have time for.
Mike

I have been using the EZ Touring Traveler covers for decades and still do...

E-Z Touring Motorcycle Covers | Traveller half cover

It is light enough to take it with you all the time. If it has to substitute as a "garage" and you aren't going to travel with it, a full cover with lockable straps might be a better solution. I'd also want an alarm if I was in an apartment setting.

Of course, when I did live in an upstairs apartment I didn't have any of that. I was just glad to have a motorcycle.

I appreciate the suggestions and help. What is the cover supposed to protect from, exactly? I see people riding in the rain all the time so I don't think you can't get a bike wet. A little confused.

Also, is there a recommended way to lock up a bike? There's a streetlight right next to where I'll be parking it. I was thinking of locking it up with a chain around the lightpost, but where should I lock it on the bike?

I appreciate the suggestions and help. What is the cover supposed to protect from, exactly? I see people riding in the rain all the time so I don't think you can't get a bike wet. A little confused.

Also, is there a recommended way to lock up a bike? There's a streetlight right next to where I'll be parking it. I was thinking of locking it up with a chain around the lightpost, but where should I lock it on the bike?
If can run the chain through the frame this would be ideal. Please ensure that the chain doesn't lay on the ground as that makes it easier for a thieving toerag to break it

I went with one of these:
32a.jpg

It's a Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit. 5' long. Has a power sports warrenty too. Will pay your deductable up to $1250 if your bike is stolen. The deductable thing is free for one year $10 for two years, and $15 for three years. It's heavy at 15lbs but will hopfully deter theives to look for an unsecured bike.

I also have a I Xena disc lock with alarm too.
32b.jpg

Can't mount it on the rear rotor, but it works on the front rotor. The alarm is kind of flakey, but I just leave the batteries out and use it as a physical rotor lock.

I parked my CBR1000RR and DRZ400SM at a surface lot in downtown Kansas City, MO for 9 - 10 hours a day while I was at work. Never a problem.

WGW

You also see them riding in the sunshine, yet sun (UV) will age a bike quicker than rain. It is a matter of limiting exposure to only the times you are using it so that it protects the appearance - plus the "prying eyes" issue related to security. I use a cover traveling because I don't like getting on a wet bike in the mornings after rain or heavy dew. Also for prying eyes in a motel parking lot. I'd consider an apartment parking lot to be a similar threat profile to a motel parking lot. I'd use a cover, an alarm, and a disk lock- exactly what I use while traveling. I have never chained a bike, but I guess it depends on the threat level you expect.

I see. What brand cover do you use? I assume it's a full cover, and I'd kind of like to get one of those for, as you said, prying eyes. Thanks to everyone for all the help. By the way, I finished my first day of the MSF BRC and I have to say that riding the bikes was a blast.

I see. What brand cover do you use? I assume it's a full cover, and I'd kind of like to get one of those for, as you said, prying eyes.

I use an EZ Touring Traveller. It is a half-cover. Since my bike is garaged, I don't need a full cover. I really don't know enough about full covers to have a recommendation, although I think EZ makes full covers as well.

I finished my first day of the MSF BRC and I have to say that riding the bikes was a blast.

Contratulations. You can't learn to much about safety. Plan on taking the ERC next year and pick up this book if you don't already have it...

Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well: David L. Hough: 0731360405364: Amazon.com: Books

Amazon has a nice feature that allows you to search for covers by which model and make they fit, but nothing is listed for the NC, I guess because it just came to the states. Is there a similarly sized bike I could search for whose cover would fit the NC? Just curious. If not I'll just order an XL or something.

Amazon has a nice feature that allows you to search for covers by which model and make they fit, but nothing is listed for the NC, I guess because it just came to the states. Is there a similarly sized bike I could search for whose cover would fit the NC? Just curious. If not I'll just order an XL or something.

XL would probably be too big. The 87 inch long NC700 is halfway between the 84 inch Kawasaki Versys and the 90 inch Suzuki DL650 in length. Width and height are similar. THe NC700 has a 60 inch wheelbase if that helps.

0904121644-00.jpg0817121136-00.jpg0908121403-00.jpg

www.motorcycle-superstore.com

$78.99 - $115.99
MSRP $86.95 - $127.95

Dowco Guardian Weatherall Plus Cover

The Guardian Weatherall Plus motorcycle cover pulls no punches; it simply gives the absolute best in cover protection. With heavy duty 300 denier polyester and taped seams to keep out precipitation, the Guardian is a true four season cover. In fact, it is so robust that this cover trades protection for small packing size. Choose your poison, but for those who want to store their machine, the Dowco Guardian Weatherall Plus Cover is your answer.
Dowco's most popular cover
Heavy-duty polyester with special Color-Lok® fabric treatment to prevent fading
Exclusive ClimaShield® Plus fabric protection repels water
Waterproof with heat-sealed, taped seams
Moisture Guard™Vent System lets moisture escape
Aluminized heat shields allow immediate use after riding
Interior liner protects windshield
Sewn elastic shock cord and under-bike web strap
Sewn-in grommets allow use of a cable lock (lock not included)
Convenient storage bag
New sewn-in pockets allow use of Guardian® Alarm for added security (Alarm sold separately)
Available in sizes to fit most motorcycle models
Lifetime Warranty

I took a picture of the kid that picked up my Harley when I sold it. He was riding it for the new owner that came to my Apartment / flat to pick it up payed in full. Then I purchased the NCX. As you can see in the attachment the NCX is completely covered from the elements under the stairway.

If you are going to keep a motorcycle out in the elements covered. I recommend to cover it dry and be careful not to let moisture in and if it does get in. Take the cover off if it is going to be in direct sunlight for hours. The cover will act as a oven and it WILL bake the moisture to the motorcycle. If you are near the salt air as I was for 11 years. That makes the situation worse. I miss my 2 car garage in NC. I will be back up there May of 2013. I hope this helps you cyrano138.

Last edited:
0815121958-00.jpg

My 25 year old son Stephen. You can see the ramp that I use to get the motorcycle on and off the sidewalk when needed. I chose this apartment complex only because of the convenience to keep my motorcycle out of the elements for one year until my return to NC.

Last edited:
I bought one of the cheap Cover Max covers in a size large. I park my bike outside when I get to work and wanted to be able to cover it, but since the bike is hot when I get to work I use it only on the very top. I cover the headlight and the taillight and bring it down to just above the radiator. Light bar helps to hold it. I put it completely around the left pannier, but only go to the bottom edge of the right so it doesn't get to close to the pipe. My bike is dry when I come out of work and it keeps people from sitting on it. Definitely not an anti theft device though. I purchased my cover from the Honda shop by you, in Venice, FL. and he had more in stock.

Cyrano,
I've had about three different brands of covers over the years and they've all worked about the same. One nice thing about them in Florida is they keep the seat from getting so hot under the Fl sun. There is one other thing to consider if you go with a bike cover and that is to be careful where you park. I bought a new Yamaha R1 in 1999 and put a full cover on it in the parking lot at work. An afternoon thunderstorm came along and blew the bike over. In an open lot, a cover can act like a sail and a strong sidewind can ruin your day (especially on a bike with a low center of gravity and a fairly high profile like the NC700). Anyway, covers can help with protection from the elements, but try to park in an area that is somewhat protected from side winds.

Bob

Hey, I just want to say thanks to everyone who's offering advice. I went to the website recommended above and chose a different brand and picked up a cable for it while I was there. Thanks for everyone's help.

The cover is mainly for overnight parking, but if I cover it in a wide open space I'll definitely keep an eye on the wind direction. Thanks.

I'll update the thread if the cover turns out to be fantastic or terrible or something in between.

My experience with covers (I used them for say 10 years, everyday) is BAD.
Why?
There were many stray cats and they love to sleep under the covers, and once they even menstruate under it (I am not kidding).
They like to sleep on the warm tank/engine and seat, under the cover shielding them from the cold nights.

Cheap covers can also be burnt (even ones who are heat-proof) and they leave all sorts of cover-debris on your shiny hotpipes.

Last but not least, my "cover" helped some thieves get away with my radiator/tank side covers off my brand new KDX200SR (my first bike).
Yes, they covered it back after the theft and I realised it only the next day. Too late. They took also the seat.

No troubles of that sort yet, but I live in a pretty low crime area. So far, no troubles at all. Crossing my fingers.

Back