• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda NC750X DCT review

Can you summarize this long video, please? Who is Big Rock Moto? Does he or she own an NC750X? If so, great; if not, why? I only take seriously a review done by an owner or previous owner.

Thread moved to Product Reviews forum.

He reviews motorcycles and motorcycle equipment. His reviews are interesting and thorough. He gives a very positive of the Honda NC750X DCT. He does not own a NC750X. There are not very many recent reviews of the NC750X available these days. I thought members of the forum might be interested. If you do not want the review to be posted, please remove the post.

He reviews motorcycles and motorcycle equipment. His reviews are interesting and thorough. He gives a very positive of the Honda NC750X DCT. He does not own a NC750X. There are not very many recent reviews of the NC750X available these days. I thought members of the forum might be interested. If you do not want the review to be posted, please remove the post.
Oh, no problem posting the review. It’s simply my opinion that when a reviewer gets handed a free bike to “test”, their point of view and incentives are not the same as someone selecting and buying their own motorcycle with their own money. So, the tester might write that it’s a great bike, but in reality they apparently wouldn’t buy/don’t own one.

Oh, no problem posting the review. It’s simply my opinion that when a reviewer gets handed a free bike to “test”, their point of view and incentives are not the same as someone selecting and buying their own motorcycle with their own money. So, the tester might write that it’s a great bike, but in reality they apparently wouldn’t buy/don’t own one.
The inverse is also true for reviews posted by a person that has purchased a motorcycle and reviews it. They may be rather subjective in order to justify the purchase to themselves and/or they have little experience to compare and contrast their new bike with other bikes. I don't give owner reviews carte blanche unless I know the reviewer well.

I think the deeper issue is does one trust the integrity and broader experience of the journalist more or less than Man in the Street reviewing his own motorcycle? I generally trust a journalist more because he does have something to lose in regards to his integrity and the integrity of his editors and content providers. I'm perhaps old fashioned but I mourn the loss of print media that had at least some measure of objective content balanced against subjective content. Now anyone with a smart phone is able to put subjective content out there with nothing to lose. The British magazine BIKE gave a few Hondas fair balanced reviews some years back and Honda did not like the objective reviews and retaliated by not providing test bikes to BIKE for an extended period of time. The editors mentioned it from time to time and the boycott bit Honda in the arse.

Taking it a step further, it is important to know the expectations and desires of the reviewer to establish context, before the review contents can be considered applicable to me. For example, many motojournalists who are often handed 150 horsepower supersport bikes, will often poo-poo a bike like the NC or a Versys X for being extremely underpowered. Well for me, either of those has sufficient power, so their opinion on the matter is not helpful for my decision making. In that case, the opinions of an actual owner, who plunked their own money down, would be more important to me.

It has gotton so most paid, non-owner motorcycle reviewers’ goals and objectives do not align with mine, so what they think of the machine is largely meaningless to me.

I generally expect a paid motorcycle reviewer to operate as “If I write it well, they publish it, then I get to eat”. Then they send me another bike. The format seems to be: say a lot of good things, so readers are happy and my review gets hits, but at the same time throw in few minor nitpicks, so readers will take me seriously and it won’t sound so phony or made up. Nobody wants any overly glowing review, either. Lather, rinse, repeat with next bike.

Well, we are entitled to our opinions.

How many threads pop up here where the owner wants to uncork his NC or remove the rev limiter? Do those owners align with your views? Or would you discount their opinion and move on to one you like better?

I generally agree that most non-owner (aka magazine tester and internet reviewer) reviews are lacking in substance, and that actual owner reviews carry a little more weight. However owner reviews can be misleading as well. Some owners would give more glowing reviews than other owners, since we are all different in our wants, needs, expectations etc. Owners have differing opinions about the power, brakes, handling, suspension, seats, windshields, ergos, engine vibrations, mirrors, instrumentation, even which mapping mode is best to ride in. I dare say some on here would give more glowing reports than I would, and some would undoubtedly give less glowing reports than I.

One can make suppositions by reading the thoughts of others regarding the attributes of motorcycles, but only by owning one and spending some time with it can you truly tell if the reviewers were telling their version of the truth or your version of the truth.

Thanks to @CdiGuy for the video review.

Objectivity is not necessarily removed because someone is or is not getting paid to write a review. I’m not sure that we can dismiss the opinion of a moto journalist who is experienced as an owner, rider, engineer, whatever, in the motorcycle space. I see it here on this forum all the time where contributors dismiss a bike as being irrelevant because it lacks some characteristic like suspension travel, shaft drive, electronics, bash plate, whatever. Should we trust those opinions or dismiss them for something we think or feel? Few here are engineers or nearly as experienced as many moto journalists are. Sometimes evaluation of bikes by contributors here on this forum may not be objective, sometimes incorrect, biased, or perhaps spot on. We don’t know anything, really, about the contributors here but we all keep coming back seeking opinions from people we know little or nothing about. Yet we would dismiss the opinion of a moto journalist who has ridden hundreds of motorcycles, maybe more, over hundreds of thousands of miles simply because they are being paid to write about their observations and opinions? I am not suggesting that some writers are not bought and paid for by whomever; to the contrary some certainly are. But suggesting most or all of them simply follow the money might be reachey.

Last edited:
Part of the joy of choosing a bike is reading as much about it as you possibly can, in my opinion. If you read enough reviews of all kinds, you generally get a pretty accurate description of the good bits and not so good bits.
Condemned by faint praise is a phrase I keep in mind too.

Honda NC750XV DCT Review
Big Rock Moto has done a review of the of the Honda NC750XV DCT
Thankyou for correcdting yourself regarding the PARKING Brake, IF you did use that while riding, you very likely will have an emergency that will be difficult to exit from.

In fact you Americans need to get over that term in all cases. If you neglect to take care of you service brakes you will have an emergency that the parking brake is unable to help you with (much)

I think Ian, the tester on Big Rock Moto generally is pretty accurate. He bought a bike with his own money recently, didn’t keep it long and explains the error of his ways. I don’t have a lot of experience on my 22 NC (about 4500 miles) but I agree with Ian’s comments. He does good reviews, has a good format, and isn’t always complementary on the tested item.

Back