• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda NC700 Service Manual Amendment

johnakay

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Just recieved this regarding valves etc.....

Today at 10:45 AM
Ladies & Gentlemen,

You are receiving this email as you have bought the Honda NC700 Service Manual from me. A question has recently been asked regarding the valve clearance setting procedure, and as a result I have to send you the attached document to replace pages 100 and 101 in the manual. The cylinder numbering in issue A001 of the manual is wrong (you can check the issue number of your manual at the bottom of the first page).

The LEFT cylinder is number 1 and the RIGHT cylinder is number 2.

A pdf file of the revised pages is attached for you to print and insert into your manual.

I apologise unreservedly for this error.

Yours sincerely,

Mark Barrett

its all on the pdf files and I don't know how to copy and paste. sorry.

Is this email from a dealer/supplier of the official honda manual or from someone selling his bootlegged copies of something?

its all on the pdf files and I don't know how to copy and paste. sorry.

ALL on the pdf files? Do you have an electronic copy of his book? I thought it was only available as a printed manual.

With the printed manual you would just print out the two amended pages and literally cut and paste the relevant paragraphs with scissors and glue. Just like the 'good old days' before computers. :)

I guess you could use white-out on the book instead. But I just crossed out the wrong words with a pen and wrote the correct ones over the top. There were only five or six words to change.

If you do have the original as a PDF then you might need the full Adobe Acrobat program to do the editing, rather than just the free pdf reader.

I've printed mine off .what I meant was I can't copy and paste onto here.

If you only have the free Adobe Acrobat Reader and not the full program that allows editing then one way to capture some text or other content is to open the document and take a screenshot of the relevant section. Then you can post or print the picture. Would that do?

I'm not sure its worth the bother though. Presumably anybody who has bought the manual would have already got the same email as we did.

I appreciate the post, as John procured my copy for me and forwarded it to me; I wouldn't have gotten the update if he hadn't made the post.

This is not the Honda Service Manual.

It is not the Honda NC700 service manual; it is a Honda NC700 service manual.

So many people confuse even the "owner's manual" and "service manual" that over clarification can't possibly hurt these days. This is a third-party service manual, not an official manual from Honda.

It's a good idea to always buy a genuine service manual from the actual manufacturer instead of a cheaper knock-off so you don't have problems like this. Unless it's a Kawasaki, where their manuals are plagued with errors.

I can see your point, but Mark Barrett's manual is neither cheaper nor a knock-off, it's a different approach.

Manufacturer's official manuals are written for their dealer staff and assume a certain level of technical knowledge and experience. They also need to cover everything from common service tasks through to things that the average owner is unlikely to ever encounter. Whilst good to have, they are not necessarily easy for non mechanic owners to follow. Mark takes a different approach and makes no attempt to cover all the ground that the Honda service manual does. Instead, he concentrates on the basic jobs that are listed in the service schedule. He gives a much fuller description of each task, with tips on what to look out for and pitfalls to avoid.

He also gives each job a suggested skill rating, necessary parts list, approximate time needed, torque settings and workflow description. in other words tells you exactly what you will be up for, and how much prior work will be involved removing other parts before you can tackle the actual task. He also includes a list of tools needed. It's an approach that an amateur wishing to do their own servicing could find extremely useful. Many owners would like to do more than just put petrol in the tank but have no intention of doing full engine rebuilds or electrical work, for instance. Mark's manual is written for them.

As it happens, I have the necessary engineering qualifications and have no problems reading the official manual (which I also bought). But I still found Mark's book to be an interesting and useful read.:)

So the guy that created this user friendly manual probably just read the real manual and then dumbed it down.

May I suggest that if one does not have the technical skills to read a "real" service Manual and understand it and apply the techniques properly, then perhaps they should not be trusted to work on a road going vehicle that has the potential to kill others if the service is not done properly. Just my two cents.

So the guy that created this user friendly manual probably just read the real manual and then dumbed it down.

May I suggest that if one does not have the technical skills to read a "real" service Manual and understand it and apply the techniques properly, then perhaps they should not be trusted to work on a road going vehicle that has the potential to kill others if the service is not done properly. Just my two cents.

I haven't read the the Barrett manual myself, but until I do I certainly wouldn't made a judgement like that.

While not a direct comparison, I can use an example of the Kawasaki EX250 factory manual. The extensive FAQ created by the ninja250.org forum members is an excellent supplement to, if not an actual better manual than what Kawasaki wrote. Not to say the Honda NC700 manual isn't good, but an NC700 manual written from a different approach is certainly a valuable tool.

Last edited:
Even just a list of required tools is handy. I don't have the extensive tool box of a shop mechanic. Often I am in the middle of a job and have to travel 12 miles to a hardware store to buy a tool I needed.

Uninformed baseless conjecture seldom advances a discussion.

You may.

It would be nice if you had actually seen the item which sparked that observation and had a better understanding of the purpose and scope of it.

here is the manual in question.
he did a service on his friends bike or what ever.
and he wrote every thing down as he went along etc.
Honda NC700 Service Workshop Owners Manual NC700S NC700SA NC700SD NC700X NC700XA | eBay
1 Introduction
Hello and welcome to this Service Manual for the Honda NC700. The aim is to guide you through
carrying out all of the items listed in the service schedule. Further chapters also discuss non service
based work that you may wish to carry out like for example changing the rear shock absorber for an
aftermarket one. The manual covers the NC700S, NC700SA, NC700SD, NC700X, NC700XA, NC700XD.
If you plan to carry out routine servicing work on your bike then this manual is all you need, however
it does not cover work inside the engine cases beyond setting the valve clearances. I have chosen to
take this stance as I believe it covers the work that 90% of owners will do, 90% of the time. If you do
need to replace a con rod or a gearbox cog, then for now at least you will still need the Honda
Factory Workshop Manual, but then if you’re one of the 10%ers who delves deep inside the engine
cases then I guess you’ll have the Factory Manual on your bookshelf anyway.
The approach taken is practical and informal, and discusses the work from a home mechanic’s
perspective. Plenty of pictures are included identifying which bolts to undo and which parts to
remove
Where there are a number of ways of accomplishing a task, I try to offer guidance on the
alternatives and discuss the pros and cons of each method.
With a manual such as this which will be read by many owners of various experience, it is difficult to
pitch it at the right technical level – what will be necessary to the novice will be boring and tedious
to the experienced home mechanic. Similarly assuming knowledge that the most experienced will
take for-granted would result in a manual that is incomprehensible to those just starting out on the
path of home servicing. I have tried to address this by grading the difficulty of each task and then
describing every new task from first principles. Those with less experience can start working through
level 1 tasks before progressing onto level 2 tasks when they feel comfortable to do so. When an
experienced mechanic is working through the more basic tasks it may well be enough to scan quickly
through the workflow and then just look at the torque settings.
The NC700 is straightforward bike to work on, however one of my mantras when carrying out any
work is to ‘know your own limitations’. With many aspects of servicing the bike you will pass a point
of no return and it will simply not be possible to ride the bike to the dealer to get him to finish it for
you. Eg if you pump a brake piston out and aren’t happy bleeding the system afterwards, what do
you do? Similarly if you are mid-way though adjusting the valves with the adjusters backed off and
find that you aren’t comfortable setting the clearances, what do you do? It is also essential that
anything you attempt is completed properly. This includes tackling work in the correct sequence,
doing it correctly, and doing it all. Mistakes vary from annoying to fatal, passing through expensive
on the way, although if you achieve the f word then you’ll be past worrying about the expense.
It is very important to have read the instructions from beginning to end before starting out on any
job and to have all tools and spares required readily to hand. A good set of spanners and sockets is a
must, but no special tools are required to service the NC700.

Back