• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Front Tire noise, TKC-80 vs Shinko 705?

belrix

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am currently running a TKC-80 on the front of my NCX and really love the way it handles on gravel but on the blacktop at highway speeds it is very loud, even with ear plugs.

I am thinking about switching to a Shinko 705 front tire but wondering how loud it will be on the highway?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

belrix

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I am currently running a Shinko 705 on the front of my NCX and really love the way it handles on gravel but on the blacktop at highway speeds it is very loud, even with ear plugs.

I am thinking about switching to a Shinko 705 front tire but wondering how loud it will be on the highway?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

belrix

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Think you need to edit post. State currently running Shinko and thinking of switching to Shinko. Is current TKC or Shinko?

How many miles on your TKC's?

I have about 8,500 on mine give or take. (well the front, I'm just starting on the second new rear now)

I never really noticed any exceptional noise from them?

Curiously enough, I was wide eyed with surprise, when braking with the stock Metzeler Z8 front tire, when new. I couldn't believe the screaming howl coming off the front tire! :eek: I've never heard such a thing before, on all my tires.

Funny how these things work, eh? :confused:

Hmm, I will ask if I can ride my girlfriends '14 NCX this weekend, it has Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires, it see if I notice a difference.

Hmm, I will ask if I can ride my girlfriends '14 NCX this weekend, it has Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires, it see if I notice a difference.

Sometimes it's just one of those weird mysteries, where a tire or whatever can be noisy on one bike, but the same identical thing on another, produces hardly a whisper.

[Arsenio Hall] Things that make you go hmmm. [/Arsenio Hall]

My problem is when I post before I put my Brain in gear
whistle.gif

I've had my Shinkos on for a couple of months now and I love them. I really haven't noticed any difference, sound wise from the the Metzgers and they were obvious road tires. My hearing sucks though, in all honesty. My mileage hasn't suffered as I am still getting tanks in the low 80's.

The 705's on mine are noticeably louder than a regular street tire, but not bad. I've never ridden on tkc's, can't compare. I am surprised at how well these 705's handle on pavement and gravel, great tires.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I too run a TKC80 up front and YES I do notice the noise !!! I really like the ability to ride gravel and DON'T want to give up gravel traction but would like a quieter tire. Just did a tour through BC and the TKC80 handled the twisties very good (especially for a knobbie) . Been a great tire just wish it was quieter especially on trips, so I too have thought about a shinko705. Never a perfect world.... great traction, wears like iron, and reasonablly priced !!LOL

I totally agree, the TKC-80 just is just an incredible tire! Just need to get used to the noise because I really don't want to give up the gravel performance.

If i decide to go with the Shinko 705 ....will a 120/90-17 OR 130/80-17 work on the front without fender mods ???

I would like to try the 705's I think !!! LOL
For your information, the Shinko 705 is now sold in the correct size 120/70-17. Revzilla got them stock right now grab some ;)
Oups...sorry I see you are from Canada so Revzilla is not a good solution considering the xchange rate + Canada cutoms fees + shipping. I personnally e-mailed Shinko Canada at the beginning of the season and they answered they should have this size stock at the end of the season ( guess the end is near, they show the size on their website :))... Just ask your tire dealer and they should be available...

Last edited:
For your information, the Shinko 705 is now sold in the correct size 120/70-17. Revzilla got them stock right now grab some ;)
Oups...sorry I see you are from Canada so Revzilla is not a good solution considering the xchange rate + Canada cutoms fees + shipping. I personnally e-mailed Shinko Canada at the beginning of the season and they answered they should have this size stock at the end of the season ( guess the end is near, they show the size on their website :))... Just ask your tire dealer and they should be available...

Thank you, just looked it up.... looks like a plan man !!! LOL

At end of season looks like shinkos !!! (Unless I change my mind !! LOL)

Thank you, just looked it up.... looks like a plan man !!! LOL

At end of season looks like shinkos !!! (Unless I change my mind !! LOL)

"Canada's Motorcycle" has been the place where I've purchased all of my tires for the past several years- they seem to be pretty good as far as prices and free shipping goes. Might want to check them out, if you don't already know about them :D

Back