• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Camping Report: (with Pictures)

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Camping Report:
California Near LA
13845 Rowher Canyon Road
Santa Clarita, California
GPS: 34.50636, -118.377405
Elevation: 2136'

The road in is well marked from the highway. Look for the big "Rowher Flats" sign to find the right road.
The road is paved some of the way, and well groomed dirt the rest of the way. It is wide enough for two way traffic and seems to be safe for very long trailer vehicles. Minimal wash-boarding.
camp_rockview.jpg
It's a winding, mountainous road...with mostly chaparral and very few pine trees.

The "Staging Area" is meant for large vehicles towing full off road motorcycles. It's big, and has five or six awnings and picnic table stations nicely paved.
camp_flats_01.jpg

Single track goes off in every direction from the staging area and looks like single-track heaven. 'made me wish I'd brought a motorcycle to explore those trails!
camp_flats_ST.jpg

All of the picnic table areas were flat and within walking distance of the restroom. The views are spectacular, and I count this as one of the best camping sites, for anyone, I have ever seen.
camp_tent1.jpg

Last edited:
One thing to appreciate about this: You appear to have the place to yourself. That means you're out having fun, but where is everyone else? Slaving away at their jobs, I guess. I always feel lucky when I'm out enjoying the outdoors. Most people, evidently, are not (or cannot).

P.S., I wish I had my dirt bike at that place.

One thing to appreciate about this: You appear to have the place to yourself. That means you're out having fun, but where is everyone else? Slaving away at their jobs, I guess. I always feel lucky when I'm out enjoying the outdoors. Most people, evidently, are not (or cannot).

P.S., I wish I had my dirt bike at that place.

Yes, the single track trails go on to the horizon up and over amazing hills... you can see some of it from the road in.

What kind of temperatures are we looking at while you are camping this time of year, strat? Is the elevation great enough to be a little cooler, than oven-like?

Nice and peaceful looking :cool:

Just for fun... here's what I carry...when camping...

I use a modified 20gal project box from Home Depot.
camp_box.jpg

The box contains this stuff:
camp_pack_num.jpg
  1. Tahoe Gear Willow 2 tent. Packs very small and light. There are plenty of other tents that are easier to set up, but I haven't found any that pack this small.
  2. ground tarp from Home Depot. Got the one that matched the tent dimensions closely.
  3. Intex twin inflatable mattress (wouldn't camp without it.)
  4. sleeping bag.
  5. air pillow
  6. powered air mattress pump (power from motorcycle battery)
  7. fire starter
  8. cheap flip flops to slip on quickly/easily when I need to get up and out quickly. 'takes too long to put the riding boots on.
  9. portable shovel. I also use it as a hammer to pound in the tent stakes.

There is still room left for different smaller items in the box... just haven't needed much else yet.

Back