• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bridges of The Grand - Day 1

sumo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
1.jpg

For some time I've had this idea to ride up from Lake Erie along the Grand River to the Covered Bridge at West Montrose. The route would start on the western side of the river then cross over to the eastern side at the first bridge follow the eastern shore up to the second bridge cross over and follow the western shore to the third bridge cross over, well you get the idea.
I set out one day a week ago to do the route. It was cool and cloudy but the forecast said no rain. It took me just over an hour to get to Dunnville on Lake Erie where the first bridge was, I crossed to the eastern side and headed up river.

2.jpg

I crossed again at Cayuga and rode the western side to the York bridge then east side to Caledonia over the bridge and... whoa police road block, some kind of police emergency, I can't get to my route!

Well there is the Caledonia bypass bridge, I was going to ignore it, oh well, back over to the eastern side up river a couple kilometers and back to the western shore via the by-pass bridge.

Back on route into the Six Nations Reserve. Good gravel roads along the river, fantastic riverside 1 acre lots, some with nice new homes others with 40 year old camper trailers.

Cross back to the eastern shore at the Chiefswood Bridge, pass the Six Nations Bingo Hall on beautiful hyw 54 which gets away from the river so I cut left down a gravel road that gets me to Salt Spring Church Road which is all good gravel and runs along the river, the odd farm house no other traffic, wonderful!

Back onto asphalt and cross to the west at the bridge near Newport immediate right turn and back over to the east on the Erie Ave Bridge. Here there is a sign that says "River Access" so I go down to the river.

1.jpg

Well it's near 6 PM and it's looking like a storm is coming, I've hardly made it a quarter of the route! Home is an hour away so I best abandon the route and head for home.

I flew home by the most direct route and it started to pour 45 seconds before I pulled into my garage. That was a week ago. End of day one.

Bridges of The Grand - Day 2

Day two. Last Saturday. This time I'm going to take pictures. Beautiful day, cool crisp morning, clear blue skies. One hour to the bridge I ended with on day one.

000.jpg
00.jpg
0.jpg
On my way to the route.

1.jpg

Back to the route, I cross and continue up river on the west side and cross
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
two more bridges in Brantford

On to Paris, Glen Morris, Cambridge (lot's of pics but they all look like bridges)

then this...

1.jpg

There was a bicycle path over the bridge and I thought about doing it but decided not.

I got back on route missing this and the next bridge.

Now deep in the city of Kitchener four or five bridges. Some new some old.

1.jpg
2.jpg

on to Conestoga

1.jpg
2.jpg

More "Road Closed Local Traffic Only" I'm Loco aint I?

1.jpg
2.jpg

ah, there's the bridge no problem.

The Peel Street Bridge.

1.jpg
Detour? We don't need no stinkin' detour!

2.jpg
Signs for other people.

3.jpg
I can squeeze thru there.

4.jpg
A picture from the Peel Street Bridge

1.jpg
On to the second last bridge, The Buggy Bridge. The locals (and the city) really don't want people to use this bridge. There are signs on the gravel road leading to it that say "No Exit".

2.jpg
The Buggy Bridge

1.jpg
View from the Buggy Bridge

And on to the last bridge. The only covered bridge left in Ontario. The Kissing Bridge at West Montrose.
1.jpg
2.jpg

The end.

I had the idea of doing something similar crossing the Mississippi River at every posible point between Illinois, Iowa, and Missouri. Bridges and ferries included. Think it is going to happen next spring though, too much going on this fall.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Back