• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bestem low cost topbox

bamamate

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Saw where someone had posted a link about a low cost topbox by Bestem. Looked decent so I ordered the 46L with included LED lights and back rest for $110.
Bestem T-Box 929 with Built-in LED Running and Brake Light Kit
They shipped the next day via UPS.

They have smaller boxes and the 46L without the lights.
This is my first topbox so I don’t have anything to compare it with.
It came fully assembled with a universal mounting plate and mounts for a tubular style rack. The included bolts were too long for use on my SW-Motech rack so a trip to Lowes solved that. I had to drill new holes in the plate. The existing ones wouldn’t line up. Not a surprise since it is a universal plate. The LED light on the lid works with the brakes like a high mount 3rd brake light. The wrap around strip is running and brake. The brake part of the strip is the same type of LEDs as the running but they are spaced closer together so they appear slightly brighter. What was a surprise is the lid light and the strip lights are 2 separate cables coming out of the box. I expected them to be joined inside the box and only 1 cable coming out. So I got out the soldering iron and rectified that. The included instructions consisted of a couple of diagrams and nothing on the wiring. Jumper wires and a little trial and error figured it out quickly. The included quick disconnects are just barrel connectors. I substituted a cheap RadioShack 3 pole connector until I can get a good quick disconnect. The box is “industrial ABS”. Internal straps are thin and the connector is low cost. It does fit together well and looks like it will be water tight. My full size laptop backpack fits in it. I do get some rattles especially when empty. I believe it is from the rear mounts of the box to the plate. They are mushroom top stands that slide into slots on the box with some wiggle room. I yanked around on the box and it seems stable so I’m not worried about it coming off. For $110 I’m happy with it and would recommend it for someone looking for a low cost topbox.

internal wiring after I changed from 2 cables going out to only 1 cable.

I've had one before, the Bestem 2012. There's nothing fancy about them, like remote control opening...but they do what they are designed for, which is to carry things and keep them out of the elements. I'd certainly buy another.

I put things like cases of bird seed from Costco (so you know it was huge) in the box and it never had a problem. I think those boxes weigh 40 lbs??? They are heavy anyway, and well beyond the motorcycle manufacturer's recommendations for weight back there.

I think you'll find it'll work great...and leave you with more $$$ for other farkles.

Chris

Great box for the money! One question: Can the box be quickly attached and unattached to the Bestem bracket even though the bracket is bolted to your SW-Motech rack?

I have the same rack with the quick release removable soft case adapter plate. I'd like to make the Bestem bracket quick release as well, so I could swap between the two. With a second SW-Motech hardware set and a little engineering I think that could work.

Thanks for the post. The photos are very helpful.

Greg

The box does quick release from the bracket. The release is the red thing below the lock. Unlock, pull the red handle and the box comes off.
Sent from my WP8 using Board Express

I posted the link. I bought and mounted the smaller box. The only mod was to hammer down the center rear hole on the mounting bracket to fit on a twisted throttle rack. Clean and sturdy mount. You also get the benefit of a nice tall backrest. Nice reasonably priced box. You do have to pay for shipping .

Thanks for posting the pictures.

I posted the link. I bought and mounted the smaller box. The only mod was to hammer down the center rear hole on the mounting bracket to fit on a twisted throttle rack. Clean and sturdy mount. You also get the benefit of a nice tall backrest. Nice reasonably priced box. You do have to pay for shipping .

Thanks for posting the pictures.

rafair, the model you bought was the Bestem 2012?

I see they are also available on Amazon and you can save about 10 bucks.

Greg

EDIT: Never mind. I saw elsewhere you bought the 38 ltr box.

Last edited:
Back