• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Battery question: How long before I need to charge her up in winter conditions?

I remove mine for the winter, takes like LBS stated about two minutes if you are slow, lets you check things out in there anyway. No big deal, besides I'll use mine all winter as power for my 12 volt underwater ice fishing camera and flasher, batteries like to be cycled and used and does them no harm if properly charged. Just my opinion.

You could always fit a CTEK COMFORT INDICATOR EYELET M6 which flashes green when the battery is good and the yellow or red as the battery drops its charge.

CTEK Comfort_Indicator.jpg

The red LED flashes when there is less that 60% charge in the battery indicating that it should be charged now!

Last edited:
I'm probably over-thinking this subject, but I'm trying to select the "best" battery tender for the buck in preparation for this winter and am reviving this good thread with a summary. Perhaps any will work well, but it is difficult to sort out the manufacturer claims. On sites like Amazon, all get good reviews and amazing battery resuscitation stories.

It looks like common base models include Battery Tender Jr which treybrad and Cap'n Kirk recommend, and the CTEK XS 0.8 that SuperMek likes, and the Optimate 1. They run $30 to $35.

Next up the food chain are models that pulse the voltage aiding in desulfation (not sure how often that occurs). Those include CTEK US 800, the Optimate 3, and the BatteryMINDer 1500 that Beemerphile likes for its temperature compensation features (cheaper on Amazon, but manufacturer throws in a digital multimeter). I'm not sure if temperature compensation is necessary for cold conditions like the unheated garage I will be using it in, it would seem more valuable for hot summer climates. These models range from $47 to $55 roughly online.

There are a few models for about another $10 with benefits that are unclear to me. Then you have chargers in the $100 range. I'm thinking these are overkill for normal users. Those with a half dozen vehicles with batteries that are often dead and need rehabilitation may find these worth the extra money.

I'm leaning towards the $50 ones with presumably better battery monitoring and charge algorithms. Anyone out there who can compare the buying choices? Thanks!

0000_battery_tender_junior_black.jpg
Battery Tender Jr ~ $30

CTEK 0.8.jpg
CTEK XS 0.8 ~ $35
Optimate 1.jpg
Optimate 1 ~ $31

CTEK US 800.jpg
CTEK US 800 ~ $48

Optimate 3.jpg
Optimate 3 ~ $54

Battery Minder.jpg
BatteryMINDer 1500 ~ $48

I have a Deltran Battery Tender 800 since 4 years ago. It does the job so far. Please note it is not compatable with GEL batteries

The Optimate 3 can recondition a marginal battery. Other higher end charges can also bring a battery back from the edge.

I have the Optimate4 and am very pleased with it. I've already saved back the purchase price from it having rescued a couple of batteries.

I haven't ever had to charge a motorcycle battery as of yet, but the longest I've let one sit w/out being started was 90 days. Not sure how long your winter is, but I would think it would be fine w/out being charged. My opinion is that batteries are better today than the old ones were, and don't need all the maintenance they used too.

Back