• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Air flow around National Cycle Wind Deflector

dduelin

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am sorry for the low quality of these videos. I used a handheld Canon digital with the idea to get the general idea of where flow is smooth and where it isn't. I am cogitating on making some small deflectors to mount on the top of fairing just behind and to the side of the instrument pod to divert air further out and increase the size of the "bubble" at waist level so I wanted to see how air flows around the bottom outside edges of the windshield. I also wanted to see how my handguards and mirrors interact. The air at the bottom outside corners is actually pretty good as evidenced by the yarns pressed flat against the top of the trunk area. The air is smooth under the hand guards but a mess above the guards and around the mirrors. My eye level is about 4" above the top edge of the shield and air is smooth across the top of the shield.

I came back to the house and installed the OEM screen with yarns but I couldn't beat the rain the came in from the west. I'll post that video later to compare to the National Cycle shield I really like.

The first 20 seconds or so of this one I held the camera at eye level:

Test ride without following other vehicles

I am sorry for the low quality of these videos. I used a handheld Canon digital with the idea to get the general idea of where flow is smooth and where it isn't. I am cogitating on making some small deflectors to mount on the top of fairing just behind and to the side of the instrument pod to divert air further out and increase the size of the "bubble" at waist level so I wanted to see how air flows around the bottom outside edges of the windshield. I also wanted to see how my handguards and mirrors interact. The air at the bottom outside corners is actually pretty good as evidenced by the yarns pressed flat against the top of the trunk area. The air is smooth under the hand guards but a mess above the guards and around the mirrors. My eye level is about 4" above the top edge of the shield and air is smooth across the top of the shield.

I came back to the house and installed the OEM screen with yarns but I couldn't beat the rain the came in from the west. I'll post that video later to compare to the National Cycle shield I really like.

The first 20 seconds or so of this one I held the camera at eye level:

Dave,
I think you would make more accurate reading of the turbulence flow if you could make some runs without following in the wake of other vehicles. Large trucks especially kick up quite a wake of turbulence.
Enjoyed the videos.

I actually had several more minutes from early in the day with little traffic and was surprised that unless you really follow too close, several bike lengths, that there is little difference. That did surprise me.

Back