• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Recommended Garmin GPS in the $200 range?

Fredtoo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What's a good Garmin GPS in the $200 range for my NC? Google, Garmin and Amazon web site searches are just too confusing for me to digest so I'm asking the folks that actually use them. A larger screen, north American coverage, and lifetime maps would be desireable. If bluetooth directions are possible that could be a plus in the future. Any recommendations would be most welcome....

Thanks

I'll be following this thread as I have the same question.

I had considered just using my iPhone and Google maps, but there are plenty of places where I won't have cell coverage and I would imagine I'd use a significant amount of data as the software continuously downloads additional map data.

I've looked at the motorcycle-specific GPSs and am disappointed at the price premium they command. I'm pretty much a fair weather rider so waterproof isn't really required. I'd plan to toss the GPS in the frunk if the bike was going to set outside unprotected for any length of time or in inclement weather.

Use your iphone or andriod device and buy the app. The app allows you to download US and Canada maps so it can be used without cell service and you won't have any data charges. Im using my Galaxy S5 which allows me to navagate, listen to music and talk phone calls using bluetooth and conecting to my Sena SMH10. I think the Tomtom app was $35.

I do use my iPhone in the cage with Waze as my nav app of choice, but on the bike I would prefer to keep my iPhone in a safe place for use as a nav backup if needed.

I've transferred my Garmin Nuvi from my car onto the bike and had good luck with it. I installed a ball mount on the bars and have had no issues with it. I was a little concerned initially about vibration effecting the unit, but after a full year of usage, I have had no issues.

I know they are expensive but until someone makes a supporting mapping program that allows building, storing, editing and sharing routes I can't see using a phone to replace my Garmin. The way I use a GPS there is no other easy way. I like to make routes for rides or trips and I have files of routes and of saved waypoints by state and geographical region that I can refer to when I need to. Others may use a GPS differently and a phone works well but it's not for me right now.

Garmin changes it's model line often so I don't know the latest ones. I have a used Garmin 765 in the car ( I got it used from a friend ) that can store routes and waypoints which is necessary for me. I carry it on long trips as a back up to a Zumo 550. I could use the 765 alone if I did not have the 550. I'd look for one that allows storing routes and 500 or more waypoints.

Last edited:
I do use my iPhone in the cage with Waze as my nav app of choice, but on the bike I would prefer to keep my iPhone in a safe place for use as a nav backup if needed.

What's not safe on the bike? For the IPhone Lifeproof makes a holder that locks the phone in and works with their Lifeproof case. I've used my phone for thousands of miles and not one issue.

If you do need information that you would like to download to a computer to show your trip the phones apps don't have that capability. Like Dave said it all depends on how much information you require. With my old Garmin I could download the days travel and map it on my pc and it would show waypoints I had saved and elevation, time and speed anywhere along the route. The phone app just won't do that.

Last edited:
...Lifeproof makes a holder that locks the phone in and works with their Lifeproof case. I've used my phone for thousands of miles and not one issue.

Everything is Lifeproof. Do they make one that is Deathproof?

As far as a waterproof Garmin, I haven't seen one for $200 other than obsolete used models on fleabay.

I know they are expensive but until someone makes a supporting mapping program that allows building, storing, editing and sharing routes I can't see using a phone to replace my Garmin. The way I use a GPS there is no other easy way. I like to make routes for rides or trips and I have files of routes and of saved waypoints by state and geographical region that I can refer to when I need to. Others may use a GPS differently and a phone works well but it's not for me right now.

Garmin changes it's model line often so I don't know the latest ones. I have a used Garmin 765 in the car ( I got it used from a friend ) that can store routes and waypoints which is necessary for me. I carry it on long trips as a back up to a Zumo 550. I could use the 765 alone if I did not have the 550. I'd look for one that allows storing routes and 500 or more waypoints.

I tend to agree with much of this statement and I use my 550 similarly.

The biggest enemies of any units are vibration and water. Many units will suffer vibration for a while but eventually it will get to hem if they are not isolated. I very much doubt if you will get a GPS of any make for $200 or less, that will survive on a motorcycle for long. GPS software on smartphones works, but again the unit would need to be protected.

I operate a Zumo 550 and it is one of the early models from 2007/8. It still lives, courtesy of a Touratech mount which isolates it from vibes. It is a very good unit but is now outdated and I will shortly accompany it with one of its more modern counterparts which notifies speed limits and lane assist with easier to understand directions.

I think GPS technology is truly amazing and well worth spending the money on a decent unit that can be used in a car or bike, especially if one is used to doing big mileage away from one's home range. .

You cant upload files to the less expensive Garmins ($200 range and lower). I have had 3 different Garmin models, all less than $200 and none of them are able to accept an uploaded file. They all come with Mapsource, which you can create your routes on a computer but you cant upload the routes to the GPS (arghh).
There is a Garmin Nuvi on sale at fleabay for $120;
Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT 5" Bluetooth GPS w Lifetime Maps Traffic 010 01123 30 753759999780 | eBay

The bad thing about phone apps is no cell service no GPS. Under $200 dollars I could find none with Bluetooth or waterproof. A zip-lock bag make it waterproof.

I use an old hiking gps, GPSMAP 60CSx. It can route over roads, automatically recalcultes, connects to the software and computer, and I can use openstreetmaps which are free off the net.

It might be 10 years old now but it works.

I do not know what new hiking gps garmin has come out with, but there must be something.

OP was looking for large screen, etc. The only thing I know of that is close to the Garmin motorcycle specific units for close to $200 is some of the lower spec or NLA Tom Tom units. I think he is SOL looking for a new Garmin with those features at that price (other than kicked about used fleabay offerings).

I use an old hiking gps, GPSMAP 60CSx. It can route over roads, automatically recalcultes, connects to the software and computer, and I can use openstreetmaps which are free off the net.

It might be 10 years old now but it works.

I do not know what new hiking gps garmin has come out with, but there must be something.

I use the same GPS when hiking, canoeing, and occasionally on the bicycle.
I actually just put a ram mount ball on the canoe to hold it for our BWCA trip back in august.
With the energizer lithium batteries that thing ran for 4 days (turned off at night) in the wilderness, and it still showed a full charge. Loaded with all the portages and campsites we never got lost (though we passed a great many other canoes with 2-3 people arguing about where they were going, might have helped them but the dog was trying to jump out of our boat in an attempt to either kill them or make new friends.)

On the motorcycle I use my cell phone. Galaxy 4s active, it's waterproof, at least according to the manufacture, and it's been through some downpours and came out fine... I had some off line mapping capabilities installed once, I got rid of them to save space, most of the time I have connectivity so it's not a really big problem... and when I don't I have a general Idea what way to head and eventually I'll get connectivity.
Like it better than the garmin because unlike the hiking or the canoe where I can venture a look down and time to fiddle with it from time to time, on the bike I like the voice navigation, and voice controls to change my destination on the fly without having to stop and fiddle with it (unless I loose connectivity, then I'm SOL for voice controls... but I still have voice nav).

Having retired from Garmin earlier this year I would only recommend the Zumo series as they are designed for motorcycles and are water resistant. You can find them on E-Bay for less that $200 one was recently on Craigslist locally for $75.00 (Zumo 450). I currently use a Zumo 550 with life time maps which allows 4 free updates a year. I move it between a couple of different bikes. All of the Garmin LT models comes with free Life Time maps. The newer ones all have Bluetooth for direction and music to a Bluetooth helmet, some also have XM music and weather for an additional monthly charge from XM. NexRad weather can be nice when on the road in the middle of no where.

The bad thing about phone apps is no cell service no GPS. Under $200 dollars I could find none with Bluetooth or waterproof. A zip-lock bag make it waterproof.

Actually current iPhones (I believe starting with the 5) can use GPS without cell service. The cell service can assist the GPS for better accuracy, but the nav apps work fine without cell service PROVIDED you're using an app that downloads the maps on the phone.

I use Co-Pilot and it works fine without cell service. You have to be sure to load the maps you want before you leave, of course. It doesn't easily load maps created elsewhere (like Google), but for generally finding a nice, non-highway route it does fine. Bluetooth integrated so you get turn-by-turn in your headset. I mount my iPhone 5 in an Otterbox Defender case onto a Ram x-grip mount on the handlebars and it's fine.

After a LOT of reading reviews and forums, I don't know that there's any phone app that can easily load and use computer-made routes -- that's quite frustrating because this isn't rocket science, and Google actually makes the route development pretty easy.

And motorcycle specific GPS units (Garmin, TomTom) are just waaayyy too expensive. I'm actually considering just getting a used iPhone 5 for the bike just for nav and music.

I use a discontinued Garmin Nuvi 765T in my truck and on my bike. The 765 has blue tooth that links with a battery powered blue tooth receiver with headphone output that I carry in an inside pocket of my suit. They are available on Ebay for about $100. Someone by the name of Greg Rice who has ridden the Iron Butt Rally three times uses a Garmin 2797 that he talks about on this page:

Greg Rice - Garmin 2797

You cant upload files to the less expensive Garmins ($200 range and lower). I have had 3 different Garmin models, all less than $200 and none of them are able to accept an uploaded file. They all come with Mapsource, which you can create your routes on a computer but you cant upload the routes to the GPS (arghh).
There is a Garmin Nuvi on sale at fleabay for $120;
Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT 5" Bluetooth GPS w Lifetime Maps Traffic 010 01123 30 753759999780 | eBay

There are programs out there that will take Google Map routs and convert them into a file to upload to a Garmin GPS. GMapToGPX | Communications From Elsewhere and GPS Visualizer: Convert GPS files to plain text or GPX. I have personally used the later.

Back