• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Which centerstand to buy, Honda or SW-MOTECH?

RedRob

Reaction score
Visit site
Greetings,

I've been looking for some discussion regarding the centerstands currently on the market for the NC700X. Surprised I couldn't find any thread on this, so figured I'd open one :)

Has anyone had the oppurtunity to compare both stands? What are the pros / cons of each design?

I don't have any experience with any other than the Honda, but I can tell you that the Honda stand works well. It's easy to put the bike on and take it off the stand. It also seems well built and when I was shopping for a stand the others were quite a bit more expensive.

Bob

Agreed, it's difficult to see what the advantage of the SWM stand has over the OEM version. Normally third party suppliers produce parts that the OEM doesn't offer, or fills a need that the OEM stuff doesn't address, ie adjustable side stands to go with lowering links, etc. But in this case the product description for SWM's stand offers no suggestion that it functions any differently than the OEM unit, and costs more.

Since The OEM is the only stand that works with Dales skid-plate makes it an easy decision. That skid-plate flat ass rocks!!!!!

I was faced with the center stand question a couple bikes ago, and a more experienced friend asked me -
Why buy a center stand at all?
Get a rear stand to do maintenance at home and don't carry that heavy center stand around all the time.

So I watched for a good price on a rear stand and saved money and weight on my bike.

I was faced with the center stand question a couple bikes ago, and a more experienced friend asked me -
Why buy a center stand at all?
Get a rear stand to do maintenance at home and don't carry that heavy center stand around all the time.

So I watched for a good price on a rear stand and saved money and weight on my bike.

If Honda had bothered to put provisions for swing arm spools on the bike I would do the same thing. I didn't like the look of any of the aftermarket spool mounts, so that meant I would have to use the style of stand that uses pads that go under the arm. I have one of those and used it until I got the center stand, but I always feel I'm about to drop the bike every time I use it. I also have to position the pads pretty far forward under the arm so they don't interfere with the sprocket when I rotate the wheel for chain lubing. I also have a Pit Bull fork stand with pads that go under the bottoms of the fork tubes and that's really solid, so maybe if I had a different brand of stand it would work better. At any rate, unless someone comes out with a spool mount that doesn't interfere with chain adjustment or wheel removal, I feel a lot more confident using the center stand.

Bob

R&G makes a set of brackets for the NC to mount spools on look nice check out Twisted Throttles site..

Thanks for the suggestion, but I had already looked at those. I may be wrong, but they look like they are secured by the axle bolts. Two of the reasons i would use a stand are chain adjustment and rear wheel removal, both of which require either loosening or removing the axle. It seemed like a bad idea to support the bike on spools secured by the same hardware I needed to remove. :)

Like I said before, I may be wrong but I wasn't willing to take that chance.

Bob

Hmm. Maybe I spoke too soon.

Have to look and see if my rear stand is compatible with the NC700X. It works with the KLR, and will work with or without spools, so I expect it will. But I'll check tomorrow.

Still not crazy about the cost and weight of a center stand.

Steve

The Honda stand works well enough and its price is a good bit cheaper. It comes down to the function. It's a centerstand. Do you get any advantage for using the SW Motech vs. the Honda offering? SW Motech makes some nice stuff, but I don't think they should have bothered in this case. IMHO, of course.

I have the Motech stand. I bought it early in the bike's US release when getting Honda accessories was difficult (and I didn't know about Webike Japan). If I had to outfit the bike all over again today, I would just save my money and get the Honda one since they are now easily available. I haven't seen the Honda one in person yet but I cannot imagine there is enough difference (if any) in favor of the Motech to be worth it.

I would be curious to discover if one was easier to use than the other or if one gets the back wheel off the ground higher than the other but I still don't think that would steer me in the direction of spending that much money again.

I have the Motech stand. I bought it early in the bike's US release when getting Honda accessories was difficult (and I didn't know about Webike Japan). If I had to outfit the bike all over again today, I would just save my money and get the Honda one since they are now easily available. I haven't seen the Honda one in person yet but I cannot imagine there is enough difference (if any) in favor of the Motech to be worth it.

I would be curious to discover if one was easier to use than the other or if one gets the back wheel off the ground higher than the other but I still don't think that would steer me in the direction of spending that much money again.

Good to hear from someone who actually bought the SWM version. Scarcity of the OEM one doesn't explain in my mind why SWM felt the need to produce their own knock off, for more money to boot!

SWM themselves don't offer anything in the product description to differentiate their version. Most odd.

Hmm. Maybe I spoke too soon.

Have to look and see if my rear stand is compatible with the NC700X. It works with the KLR, and will work with or without spools, so I expect it will. But I'll check tomorrow.

Still not crazy about the cost and weight of a center stand.

Steve

Just checked and my Trackside rear stand works fine with the NC700X. So no center stand (with additional cost and weight) for me.

Just checked and my Trackside rear stand works fine with the NC700X. So no center stand (with additional cost and weight) for me.

for the convenience what little extra weight comes from the centerstand is negligible. This isn't a performance bike where things like that matter. Almost every bike I've had came with a centerstand. The ones that didn't were a pia.

for the convenience what little extra weight comes from the centerstand is negligible. This isn't a performance bike where things like that matter. Almost every bike I've had came with a centerstand. The ones that didn't were a pia.

Sorry to bring this back from a couple of months ago but I was just thinking about this not too long ago and...

Fitting a center stand may ACTUALLY be beneficial to the bikes overall handling, while adding a lighter exhaust/muffler (for example) may not. This is because adding a tinyyyyyy bit of weight REALLY low (the lowest point in the bike, in the center stands case) will actually further lower the COG, while removing weight from low below (exhaust/muffler) will do the reverse. It may actually improve braking a bit as well as it puts more (much needed) weight on the rear wheel.

Just sayin'

Back