• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Any problems with mice?

Jt105

Reaction score
Visit site
I changed the air filter on my ST1300 yesterday and found mice bedding in it. The guys on the ST forum are telling me to disassemble the airbox and remove the throttle bodies because the nest is most likely tucked between the valve covers and under the throttle bodies, nestled in the V of the engine (it is a V4 engine). The ST gives no visibility to its innards. I’m starting to tear into to this project this weekend and hopefully damage to wire harness and hoses are a minimum.

fc7f6b5ec270a39ed646d585b97d9db5.jpg

The NC gives good visibility around the engine, battery box, under the seat. The only place I can’t see is in the airbox. I guess I’ll open that this weekend and inspect for mice.

Question for the NC group... Is there anyplace else I should be looking for mice on the NC? I’m don’t want to open it up twice. I’m doubly sure I don’t want to get stranded somewhere because I missed a chewed-on wire harness.

JT

Getting into the ST and all clean so far. Hopefully it was only in the airbox.

Opened the NC700X airbox and all is clean. Just a few dead bugs.

I might be lucky!

JT

I haven't ever had mouse troubles on mine, but I'm not sure how many mice live around here? Scorpions would be much more likely for me. Even when the bike sat for most of a year or two, nothing of the sort got into it, fortunately.

Glad you're getting the ST cleaned up. That looks really nasty.

Mice need ( some) water, food source and nest...........dog food or bird seed stored in the area where the bikes are stored are perfect attraction.......food and a homestead

No food in the garage. They must have moved in then out. No trace other than my air cleaner and a few droppings and chewed paper towels on the work bench.

I checked my camping gear that’s stored under the bench. No issues with the sleeping bags, mats or tent.

I bought some mouse traps today. Going to start keeping some set as a preventative measure.

JT

Had mice get into the Airbox of my old CBR. The box had two intake ports, they had the one blocked. The car population around here keeps the mice away now.

De-mousing is complete. Both bikes are together and running great.

On the upside, when I do maintenance on the bikes I try to only use the tools in my tool kit. This way I know if I have the right tools for on the road. It worked out well because I had everything I needed in the kit.

JT

Had a problem with mice in my garage at one point. They didn't nest in my bike, but they did find a nice old moving blanket to make a home in. The problem was our tree had plenty of wild nuts for them to eat. I've also had them winter in my old grill. I scared myself and the mice when I went to fire it up that spring!

Hey JT. You just need to keep that bike moving.... ;-). Mice can't move in when you're going 70mph and the exhaust is hot....
>T

You can get little plug in electronic screamer devices at the Home Improvement store. 3 pak is about $10. Plug 'em in next to where the bike/car is parked. Packrats used to strip the plug wires on my pickup till I started using these.

You can get little plug in electronic screamer devices at the Home Improvement store. 3 pak is about $10. Plug 'em in next to where the bike/car is parked. Packrats used to strip the plug wires on my pickup till I started using these.

I bought some mouse traps. I prefer a permanent solution when mice are involved.

JT

Back