• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

nc700x real competition is coming yamaha FJ-07

mreric

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
http://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...utm_campaign=20150627_common_tread_digest_#78

this might be the real thing that would compete with the NC700X

we should see dual front disc brake, abs, possible traction control like the FJ09. no frunk. but it might be close price to the NC700x similar riding position windshield, take 87 octane. possible to have lower seat height

My brother had a FZ07 and it was great to ride until it was totaled

I have several friends that have just bought FJ-09's. They all love them and are fantastic bikes. But the FJ-07 won't have DCT... that's about the only place the NC700 has a leg up on it unless you actually care about a small difference in mpg.

If it looks anything like the FJ-09 it will be a winner. Hopefully it gets ABS and traction control, that would be sweet!

FJ-09
2015-Yamaha-FJ-09-MT-09-Tracer-18.jpg

From the article: "We can assume the FJ-07 will follow the example of the FJ-09 and get higher bars, a windscreen, panniers, and a revised seat."

None of this sounds like modifications we don't already routinely do to our own bikes. It seems like if you really wanted an oh seven, you'd already have one.

I don't see the 07 in any form being NC competition, simply because it is a different animal, what with a typical over square engine and 10k redline. The NC was meant for people that want to get away from that mainstream design.

Last edited:
From the article: "We can assume the FJ-07 will follow the example of the FJ-09 and get higher bars, a windscreen, panniers, and a revised seat."

None of this sounds like modifications we don't already routinely do to our own bikes. It seems like if you really wanted an oh seven, you'd already have one.

I don't see the 07 in any form being NC competition, simply because it is a different animal, what with a typical over square engine and 10k redline. The NC was meant for people that want to get away from that mainstream design.

in any form??

I actually think it might be a good competition. some people do complain of the low red line on the NC. the fz07 engine is very nice. many motorcycle review online agree as well.

if the FJ07 matches the NC riding position adds a windshield, the only thing it would miss is the frunk.

have you ever ridden and FZ07. that this is lighter then the NC700. the dual disc brake on FZ is superior then the NC brakes

but think Honda might respond with the NC750X with ABS standard for the US market

I actually think it might be a good competition. some people do complain of the low red line on the NC. the fz07 engine is very nice. many motorcycle review online agree as well.

have you ever ridden and FZ07. that this is lighter then the NC700. the dual disc brake on FZ is superior then the NC brakes

The NC is not the bike for people that complain about it's redline. They should chose a different bike. I personally have come nowhere near the NC redline over the last 17,000 miles.

The motorcycle press has little patience or tolerance for lower power, low rev engines like the NC700 or 750. Online reviews by the moto journalists usually miss the whole point of the NC engine. And for them, there are plenty of other rev happy engines to chose from.

I have no doubt the FZ-07 and it's engine are fantastic, but they are oranges to the NC's apples.

As for brakes being "superior" on the FZ-07, here are the MCN 60-0 mph braking performance results from http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/articles/2015_01PerfIndex.pdf :
NC700X 115.8 feet
FZ-07 130.8 feet

Last edited:
Take a look at it by category. Is it going to be a better:

Touring bike
Adventure bike
Commuter bike

The NCX has all three of those areas going for it in different degrees depending on how you set the bike up and what accessories you put on it. Stock it's OK in all 3 areas. Customized it can be great in all 3 areas. You may have to give aftermarket accessories a little while to catch up before you make a final judgment for the FJ-07 as there isn't much out there right now, but there could be soon.

[The NC is not the bike for people that complain about it's redline. They should chose a different bike.]

I agree completely. If you wanted a bike that redlined at 10,000 RPM, there are plenty to choose from so owners disgruntled by the low redline of the NC didn't do their pre-purchase homework. :)

I too have never came close to redline on this bike in 23,000 miles and anyone who redlines it didn't shift correctly in the first place; the max HP is well before redline and if you hit redline, you are on the downward side of the HP curve. 75mph at 4000 rpms in 6th gear; 85mph at little over 5000rpms in 6th gear, drop down to 5th and hit 100mph no where close to redline-if you want to ride faster than 100mph, buy a different bike. More rpms=less fuel mileage. The FJ09 is in the mid 40s for mpg at cruising speed-less than my 800cc, 600lb C50 cruiser.

Engine displacement is VERY similar and the tyres, but after that the seperation begins.

I suppose they will make a FJ-07.

I was looking for an all-rounder that is about 430lbs-450bs.
19" front with alloy wheels
4.5 gallon tank
Adv touring ergos and wind/rain protection.
6.5" of travel front and rear.
Pipe high enough to still allow good cargo room

This would be a great solo touring vic! Not a true exploration (weekend warrior) bike but would make ok time on Forest roads, and on highway.

Its big appeal will be buy in price, economy, and being a swiss army knife.
Commuter. Buy in price and 58mpg and cheal fuel

Twisty fun riding. 75 horses! Done and done.

Forest road exploration. 19" tyre. 250 mile range. Pipe higher than naked bike, ok travel, lots of torque for auser friendly engine to power through climbs. Like the Mighty DR

Urban assault. Narrow wheel base and lots of torque.

Highway droning. 75HP engine cam push through wind better than most in weight class.

2-up. Engine again gives plenty of power

So, like on all vics, the engine is what you have to love.

However
I would rather go NC if the front tyre is still 17" and the suspension is below 6.0".

Current 07 suspension is 5.1" , so you know Yamaha will not break the 6.0" mark.
The tyre will stay at 17" becasue riders want more tarmac fun than forest road fun. Plus, no one takes these things on forests road enough to justify a 19" front.

Last edited:
I have to admit, i've been looking at the FJ09 real close. I realize it is a totally different bike than the NC. The appeal to me is the 115 horsepower. I like the upright sitting position, and you just don't find that horsepower on an upright sitting position. I don't use the NC to commute, its a toy and a vacation/camping bike. I may ride forest roads on occasion, but nothing hard core, got a KDX for that. I only ride about 10,000 miles a year and like the fun factor. The NC is certainly fun, corners great, but just a lack of quick go power, adequate but nothing extra. I want to sit on one and feel, weight (similar to NC, but probable lacking low COG), seat looks great, and sitting position. just thinking out loud, or dreaming.

Hey Ed, you probably know by now, I got a Yamaha Super Tenere (still have the NC). You should try one....

I also, am one of those that hasn't been anywhere close to the redline on my NC. The bike is just a great all-around go getter!

Hey Ed, you probably know by now, I got a Yamaha Super Tenere (still have the NC). You should try one....

I also, am one of those that hasn't been anywhere close to the redline on my NC. The bike is just a great all-around go getter!

I like the Tenere a lot. Only problem is I don't have enough legs to ride one. I sat on one the someone moved the ground, it was a ways down. At your height its a great bike for you.

You guys kill me with your MPG comparisons between the NC and other bikes. I will admit that over the length of ownership MPG can be a factor in the overall cost of ownership. But, I've never EVER been hammering down a twisty road thinking "I wonder how my fuel mileage is doing?" If MPG were all that mattered we'd all be pedaling bicycles around or riding 50 cc scooters.

I think the OP is saying that the FJ-07 is a better bike to compare with than the FJ 09 that Yamaha did the video about......and I would agree just based on engine size alone. To me there is not much point of comparing bikes at all. I tend to look at each bike individually and can make my own mental comparisons.

If you are talking motors then nothing compares to the NC. It truly is in a class by itself. If you are talking ergonomics, seating position, performance, etc.... then there are several bikes to compare the NC with if you must.

Personally, I'd like to have a 800-900 cc street bike to complement my Tenere and the FJ-09 is very high on my list.

Ed, you need to sit on my Tenere with the low seat in the low position. I have a 29" inseam and can almost flat foot the bike. It is lower than the NC in that configuration.
Mike

Ed, you need to sit on my Tenere with the low seat in the low position. I have a 29" inseam and can almost flat foot the bike. It is lower than the NC in that configuration.
Mike

I had no idea one could be that low. Might should reconsider I've not sat on the FJ09, but the horse power of a Gold Wing on half the bike is eye catching. It appears to be a lot of bike for the $$. Reviews are great on handling and fun factor.

Back