• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

When you go over the 11lb. weight allowed in the storage tank - my experience

Daniszeman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, just wanted to share my experience, so others know what happens when they put too much weight into the false fuel tank/storage tank. I put in a bowling ball, about 16 pounds, with some other random things, into the storage tank, and at first I noticed no problems when going on the freeway, or riding for about an hour with it. (I didn't realized there was a maximum until I read the little sticker later.) However, afterwards, I noticed one of the little clips that holds the rubber band around the tool kit got bent - didn't break, but if I wiggle it, I could probably break it off now. I noticed no other damage to it though. So just heads up before you start stuffing it with a bowling ball. :p

Gotta admit I hadn't considered taking the NC bowling. I carried about 25 lbs of groceries home in it before I read the sticker, other than feeling suddenly top heavy there seemed no ill effects.

ha! that was the first thing i thought of when i got mine... how nice my bowling ball would fit in there.... just not sure where to stick my big ol shoes...

well you can't drink em if they are in the storage.... I actually did open up my not-a-tank while riding the other day, had to check to make sure I brought something back to work with me, pulled in the clutch, turned the bike off, pulled out the key, opened it, saw what I needed, shut it, key back in, waited for fuel pressure and what not, started it back up. probably not a great idea, but I don't have a whole lot of those anyway.

Hey guys, just wanted to share my experience, so others know what happens when they put too much weight into the false fuel tank/storage tank. I put in a bowling ball, about 16 pounds, with some other random things, into the storage tank, and at first I noticed no problems when going on the freeway, or riding for about an hour with it. (I didn't realized there was a maximum until I read the little sticker later.) However, afterwards, I noticed one of the little clips that holds the rubber band around the tool kit got bent - didn't break, but if I wiggle it, I could probably break it off now. I noticed no other damage to it though. So just heads up before you start stuffing it with a bowling ball. :p

I think the tab bent due to the with and girth of a bowling ball not the weight. I'm sure you can get 16 lbs of say, nails in there without bending the rubber band tabs. Or maybe you were being a comedian, it was a bad delivery.

I wouldn't put anything too heavy in there... I got my sweater, warmer gloves, cell phones and a couple of water in mine so far... Planing to have tires repair kit and a mini electric pump soon...

Thought about bowling ball too actually... better not... :)

How many cans of beer can this storage take?
Anyone up for a competition (photo)?
:p

I have 8 so far. That should be very easy to top. Back in the day I would of lined the storage compartment and filled it with ice and beer and a simple drain hose to let the water out.

1016121243-00.jpg

Some of you might of seen my reply earlier today that I DELETED. 6.5 OZ :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I can get a 24 pack, a bag of tortilla chips and a pint of salsa in my 55 litre top box. beer costs to much by the 6 pack, I'm in NC this week and got a 24 pac for 11.99 at wally world, had my son-in-laws mazda for transport but do keep a BMW R1150R out here.

The luggage box rests on top of the frame, so I don't think there is much danger from downward force. However, in a strong deceleration, the weight could distort the front of the box and possibly damage something. I don't think we have enough acceleration to hurt anything with G forces in the rearward direction, plus, there is nothing back there to damage anyway.

The one thing i'm not too happy about on this bike are those plastic clips everywhere, looks like they're meant to be discarded every time they're taken off.

The one thing i'm not too happy about on this bike are those plastic clips everywhere, looks like they're meant to be discarded every time they're taken off.

I fear loosing them more than them breaking, goldwings use clips like that and go on for hundreds of thousands miles. I think it would be good to have a 5 pack of them in the shop. I think they cost $2 each in USA and you can order them at the dealer or on line. I already lost one, Thanks for reminding me.

Back