• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Heated Grip Question

ST13Fred

Reaction score
Visit site
My newly installed grips will heat (after some reconnection) but other than the red LED light blinking on and off a few times before going to steady red, I don't know the switch operation.
It appears to be a simple on off switch. There is nothing in the installation instruction or u-tube of the grip operation.

The large rocker switch on my F800 had off, and/a single dot for lo, 2 dots for hi.

Press once blink 3 times, press again blink 2 times, press again blink 1 time, press again off. It's 3 power settings, and then off.

Thanks Bert.

So a one button press at start up will put it to hi, I assume and to get to off press and hold the button.
I really don't like this set up. The button is very small for gloved operation and the rider has to take eyes off the road to count blinks.
But w/use I suppose one can do this w/o eyes on the switch.

You're welcome. I changed mine for Oxford grips because i didn't like the way the cable comes out on the Honda oem ones. You do get used to how it operates though.

Thanks Bert.

So a one button press at start up will put it to hi, I assume and to get to off press and hold the button.
I really don't like this set up. The button is very small for gloved operation and the rider has to take eyes off the road to count blinks.
But w/use I suppose one can do this w/o eyes on the switch.

No, they switch off after you press the button when they are on their lowest setting. Basically just continuing the rhythm Bert explained. I found them quite intuitive and yes after operating them a few times you won't need to look at the light. From what I've read these are quite superior to any aftermarket solution as the left grip isn't substantially cooler than the right due to heat lost through the bars. (Not sure if Honda beefed up the coils in the left grip or what.)

Here's the install/operation instructions:

2012 NC700X Accessories - Honda Genuine Accessories - Honda Powersports

No, they switch off after you press the button when they are on their lowest setting. Basically just continuing the rhythm Bert explained. I found them quite intuitive and yes after operating them a few times you won't need to look at the light. From what I've read these are quite superior to any aftermarket solution as the left grip isn't substantially cooler than the right due to heat lost through the bars. (Not sure if Honda beefed up the coils in the left grip or what.)

Here's the install/operation instructions:

2012 NC700X Accessories - Honda Genuine Accessories - Honda Powersports

I have to respectfully counter that generalized opinion of after market heated grips. I have an el cheapo set on the CRF250L and is equally hot on both sides, The old Oxford on the Yamaha tricker i have as well, the newish oxford on on my.. wait only tested that off the bike since it's not riding. And the newest oxford on my NC performs as well as the Honda one. (had the OEM before)

So one has to go through the complete cycle to shut it off; kinda weird.

Anyway, I put a strip of Kapton tape to the left bar in hopes of insulating it a little.
My install looks fairly clean and happy w/how the finished wire bundles look.
Instead of glue, I found dish soap works very well in sliding the grips on and when dry actually acts as an adhesive.

One thing I discovered with my switch, that may or may not be similar to some other owners examples, is that the button isn't truly an evenly centred push in type, but has a slight rocker switch action going on. I found I had strange difficulties getting the button to work sometimes, and it bugged me wondering why.

I find the thing a bit too small to engage, and a bit fiddly. Especially with thicker winter gloves on. Looking at it in detail, I was a little bit happier to find it worked much better if I pushed it in from the "bottom half" of the button, versus dead centre.

Dunno, maybe the spring inside mine is lopsided or something? It works fine by doing it the way I do it now.

I agree, it appears to be a miniature rocker type switch, w/the engagement being in the lower half of the button, as you mentioned. I remember thinking when I pulled the left grip out of the bag, man, this button is small for gloved hand operation.

I used to be a diehard Honda customer, but as of late am doubting some of the thinking going on w/i Honda as far as product development and some of the odd stuff going into production.

I'm retired now but have said on another forum I think the NC may well be my last Honda bike. I've given up on a new ST from them and have committed to the baby block bike coming out of AL. Good bye Honda.

I found the switch on the Honda heated grips hard to activate with gloves so the blinking light the only way to know what setting I was on. Then it quit so the switch is no longer a problem. Honda advertising says genuine accessories carry the same warranty as the bike, but dealer said not true and after 6 months warranty on grips gone.

Maybe next fall I will buy some aftermarket heated grips.

So one has to go through the complete cycle to shut it off; kinda weird.

I felt the same way when first using mine. I quickly noticed that was never an issue though. If it is cold enough to turn them on they stay on until I arrive at my destiination and I shut off the bike. Ten minutes later I start the bike back up and have to turn the grips on again.

I very rarely, if ever, manually shut off the grips.

I was able to get the 4 pg operation manual on the grips, pub Mll 13040. Holding the button at least 1 second turns it on and off, turns off, as mentioned, from level 1.
The Controller max wattage is 36. There is a laundry list of flash sequences on the 3 levels of heat.

(Its' an email attachment, printed out, saved as a download, scanned to my documents file but unable to get anything uploaded to our site. Go figure.) :confused:

Back