• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My Back Hurts

Ed Up

Reaction score
Visit site
My last 5 bikes were Gold Wings. I got my NC700x in January and have about 8000 miles on it. I have several add ons, including Rox 2" risers (and have moved bars back and forth several times), raised front of seat. Seems very comfy, but after about an hour of riding my mid back starts to hurt. I'm 57 years old and do lots of physical work. In good physical shape. I'm 5'8" and about 150 lbs. Thinking of a Seat Concepts with the softer foam for my weight. Also think maybe if i got narrower handle bars that were slightly taller, think that may help. I've rode all my life. Several IBA rides, motorcross, enduros, and currently in my 12th year as a MSF Rider Coach. I just can't pinpoint the back problem, any suggestions?

Well EdUp, I'm 58 and my back hurts. It may be the two cars I totaled or the motorcycle I totaled or 30+ years of martial arts or the porch that fell on me in a storm or falling out of tree. But then, it may just be my age -lol!
Seriously, riding my NC is about the only thing that doesn't hurt my back. I'm 6'2" and 175 lb.
I have to look up Sallisaw. I like to camp just south o the Talimena Drive. Do you know where that is?

Edit- just looked it up. You're about 80 miles north of where I camp. PM sent.

Last edited:
My 1/4 cent worth......

At 5'8 you are right where the bike was designed for. It does sound like you are reaching and therefore rolling your back instead of having a straight back. Your hips may be rolling backward which causes you to hunch. I would try dropping the seat back down and then sitting more toward the middle of the seat. I really think they designed the seat for you to sit middle or middle forward on the seat. Then make sure you aren't rolling your hips backward. You can try it without dropping the seat back down but you may want to try both ways.

My 1/4 cent worth......

At 5'8 you are right where the bike was designed for. It does sound like you are reaching and therefore rolling your back instead of having a straight back. Your hips may be rolling backward which causes you to hunch. I would try dropping the seat back down and then sitting more toward the middle of the seat. I really think they designed the seat for you to sit middle or middle forward on the seat. Then make sure you aren't rolling your hips backward. You can try it without dropping the seat back down but you may want to try both ways.

I can drop it back down pretty easy. I didn't think about the hips being a problem, but you may be right. The seat mod was done before the risers and I don't recall my back hurting prior to seat mod. I also have pegs on my Give guards thinking that may help. The pegs help change position on the back side but did the back no good. Thanks for the suggestion.

Well EdUp, I'm 58 and my back hurts. It may be the two cars I totaled or the motorcycle I totaled or 30+ years of martial arts or the porch that fell on me in a storm or falling out of tree. But then, it may just be my age -lol!
Seriously, riding my NC is about the only thing that doesn't hurt my back. I'm 6'2" and 175 lb.
I have to look up Sallisaw. I like to camp just south o the Talimena Drive. Do you know where that is?

Edit- just looked it up. You're about 80 miles north of where I camp. PM sent.

I've rode that area several times. Was in Mena with dirt bike about a month ago riding at Wolf Pen. Camping sounds good.

The Seat Concepts is going to raise you up about an inch. The SC has pretty thick foam. That may not be the direction you'd want to go.

I've just completed a 11,000 kms two week trip with the Seat Concept seat. I'm the same height as you and my weight is around 170lbs and have a 32" inseam. Seat worked great and no back issues. I'm using the stock handlebars. It's possible the stock seat is turning your hips forward and causing a back curve. My but and back were perfect with my seat. Longest day I did was around 680 miles and wasn't sore at all. I used a sheepskin over the seat concepts which helps prevents hot spots from developing.

Sometimes softer isn't always better.iv tried different seat pads,and they made things worse.then I found out that the harder I went the less butt hurt I had.it is different for each person.

I wear a back support on any motorcycle nowadays as my lower back is in poor shape after 40+ years of backroads and enduro riding. I am now 63. One thing I miss since moving my GL1800 on, is the back support from the raised back of the seat on that bike. I am now beginning to think that I may have to replicate this on my current motorcycles, especially the long distance ones. The NC is one such bike as is my Triumph explorer. I particularly have problems on rough roads. The problem is that these roads are my favourites as they are usually well off the beaten track. I will shortly be looking at some form of back support that will fit these bikes with their standard saddles.

OCR has a back support on his NC. I keep forgetting to ask him about it.....
I usually pack enough stuff on my long distance trips that I have a back support.

Seriously, riding my NC is about the only thing that doesn't hurt my back...

Ha ha! Exactly the same for me. Sitting, standing, sleeping, doesn't matter, my back always hurts. Riding a motorcycle? The only time I'm comfortable back-wise! Totally true. If I can manage to hobble onto my bike, then I'm good once riding.

This isn't to say my knees, wrists, neck and elbows don't hurt on a bike lol, but my back? All good.

Go figure. :rolleyes:

Ha ha! Exactly the same for me. Sitting, standing, sleeping, doesn't matter, my back always hurts. Riding a motorcycle? The only time I'm comfortable back-wise! Totally true. If I can manage to hobble onto my bike, then I'm good once riding.

This isn't to say my knees, wrists, neck and elbows don't hurt on a bike lol, but my back? All good.

Go figure. :rolleyes:
Love is amazing, isn't it?

I think I will lower the front of the seat back to stock and order the Seat Concepts. The stock seat lowered may help as Bama recommended. This weekend I will be at Bikes Blues and BBQ in Fayettville Friday and Saturday. That should let me know if the seat mod undo helps. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm also looking at the Utopia back rest. I'm not sure how it would look, but it sure may help the back. I rode about 800 miles about a month ago (one day) and thought I was going to die. As soon as I stopped and leaned back in a chair, instant relief. What a GREAT FORUM!!

Back