• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Firstgear 2014 D3O Armor Demonstration

Old Can Ride

Reaction score
Visit site
This stuff has been around a good while. I was looking for knee protectors that attach to legs and have the D30 stuff but no one makes em yet. Several companies out in Europe have been using D30 armour in jackets and trousers for some time

9.jpgNew armor protection. Watch this complete video to see the impact protection.

[video=youtube;Z-PVNYt0Nqs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-PVNYt0Nqs#t=112[/video]

smileybigeyes.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I have this stuff.

In it's present form and how it is applied, I find it less than adequate. Sure, it's high tech cool, but it's way too thin. It's not *that* good, that they can skimp on how much of it is actually used. It should be at least twice or even three times as thick for a true awesome performance, IMHO.

Also, the best padding in the world does zero good if it's not in the right spot, or gets easily moved out of the way upon impact. Just having this stuff in a velcroed or sewn in pocket at the elbow or forearm or knee, or hip etc., in jacket and pants, leaves for an extremely easily dislodged piece, just floating around. The clothing would have to be Boa Constrictor tight, in order to try and keep the stuff from shifting. Even with adjuster straps on my jacket sleeves, I can't get the arms that tight, and even if I could, I wouldn't want to. It would be very uncomfortable.

After all the years of my crashing and resultant scars/broken bits, (lol) I don't think I've ever had any internal sleeved pocket style armour actually work. The only thing that really worked for me is sewn in permanent armour with lots of overlap, and preferably on the inner and outer sides of the material. Even better I think, is a seperate "pressure suit" worn under and independently of the exterior clothing.

This stuff has been around a good while. I was looking for knee protectors that attach to legs and have the D30 stuff but no one makes em yet. Several companies out in Europe have been using D30 armour in jackets and trousers for some time

I watched a video review comparing D3O with standard armor. The guy had one type in each elbow, then had his buddy whack him a few times on each elbow with a frying pan. The D3O elbow ended up more bruised and sore. Because the material gets harder, it doesn't absorb the shock as well as the plastic/foam combination. It has the advantage of being thinner/lighter, and high-tech.

Sent from a Speak & Spell wired to a record player, a saw blade, a fork, and an umbrella.

I watched a video review comparing D3O with standard armor. The guy had one type in each elbow, then had his buddy whack him a few times on each elbow with a frying pan. The D3O elbow ended up more bruised and sore. Because the material gets harder, it doesn't absorb the shock as well as the plastic/foam combination. It has the advantage of being thinner/lighter, and high-tech.

Sent from a Speak & Spell wired to a record player, a saw blade, a fork, and an umbrella.

So I would think at the D30 is half of the equation...

really the 3 keys to a safer impact are 1) largest area possible 2) longest time possible 3) inelastic collision (no bouncing off of something)

Crumple zones are built to this effect on cars, they spread the impact over a larger area (as they crumple) and over a longer time (takes time to crumple) and ensure that they wrap themselves around the object being hit to create and inelastic collision.

d30 armor addresses #3 nicely, but seems like it would make 1 and 2 substantially worse.

A layer of D30 backed with standard foam armor (slightly thinner than normal maybe?) would probably be best...
Whatever is hitting you get brought to a dead stop, but the rider compresses against the foam and absorb the impact over a larger area over a longer period of time, even better if that foam can be made to collapse as it compresses and not rebound back, though that armor would be more like a helmet in that once it takes a blow it can't be used any more.

I have it in a pair of FirstGear pants, but I took them out. They hip pieces are too small in too low, and the knee pieces are not covered by a cover, so they interfere with taking on/off the pants. But I like how flexible it is.

"It's not the speed that kills, but the sudden impact". I was thinking that same thing when watching the video! If it hardens under impact, it seems that your body parts would have no give when hitting a hard surface. Just thinking out loud here because I am not that knowledgeable about it.

I wear a Kathmandu suit daily. It has the D30 armor. I can vouch for it being very comfortable and flexible. I hope I never have to test its ability to protect me in an accident. I look at it like this. I am willing to get a little more bruised for the comfort and flexibility of this armor. It’s a choice. I chose to buy a suit with it. I'd rather get a little bruised up than to have road rash. At least I'm wearing full gear all the time.

I'm in full agreement with the gear! Just curious about how the D30 would protect the body in a sudden stop vs regular armor that has some give. This stuff is new to me. I have to admit that I am a Tech Junkie!

I'm in full agreement with the gear! Just curious about how the D30 would protect the body in a sudden stop vs regular armor that has some give. This stuff is new to me. I have to admit that I am a Tech Junkie!

Well I’m not going to be the guinea pig. I can tell you that. LOL. Not intentionally anyway.

D3O looks like a Sorbothane-type product. Seems to work in a similar fashion to a Kick-EEZ recoil pad on a shotgun or rifle (which works extremely well, IME).

I admit that it _seems_ like one would want armor to work exactly the other way around from how this stuff works, but you see how it does in fact protect against the little hammer smashing one's fingers. I can imagine (maybe that's all it is?) the 'outside' of the material, the stuff hitting the concrete, becoming hard and resistant, whereas the 'inside' remains relatively pliable for the body to 'squish' into. IDK.

What I do know is that armor is more complicated than it seems superficially. If it were not, then the only way to provide _any_ protection of any consequence whatever, would be to make the armor 4 feet thick, and that's just not necessary.

4.jpg

I believe the D30 works by spreading impact force over a larger area, hopefully stopping penetration into the body. While this may prevent penetration, the wearer will still be affected by the kinetic energy of the impact, which can produce serious internal injuries. However, what else is currently on the market that works any better?

SmileyTwoThumbs.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
The European armor rating is the only one I am aware of. The D30 passes their test. Comments here are pretty much all speculative. Of importance is to pay attention to which CE standard is met. Two different levels are mentioned in the video. When picking armor the best bet is knowing it meets a standard, and if it just states "CE" then it is probably the lowest rating of CE intended for the speeds of a kid on a skateboard. If it isn't the lowest level it will say so.

I have a First Gear jacket with the D30 and the improved comfort is great.

Reading all this discussion about speculation about D30. I would like to report that I have crash tested D3O in a Klim badlands jacket last year at over 60mph on a wet motorway. Slide for a large distance and then tumbled sideways on my elbows and shoulders. The D3O did its job and I have ended up with bruising around the unarmored areas.

Would I say D3O works? Yes
Would I say D3O is comfortable? Yes
Will D3O stop penetration? NO, thats what the cordura and superfabric is for.
Is there anything better? Yes... knee guards and elbow guards, but wearing that for touring is not practical.
Would I like more D3O in my Jacket? Yes

Back