• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Adventures of Nana Chou - What ever happend to the little island I use to know?

Old Can Ride

Reaction score
Visit site
What ever happened to the little island I use to know?

Thought about it, then I went for this 12 minute ride.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhMGqgZsK30

As soon as the police saw Nana Chou, the police were still policing the Seawall Blvd.

Police.jpg

The new life guards are still being trained, just like when I was a life guard.

LifeGuards.jpg

The Galveston Convention Center is still the place for a great convention - party.

ConventionCenter.jpg

53rd Street life guard station is still the best place to meet good looking girls in bikinis. Meet my wife here!

BlondeLife.jpg

Folks still vacation and stay at the hotels across the street from the 53rd Street life guard station.

Hilton.jpg

SanLuis.jpg

The 1900 Hurricane Memorial still looks over the Gulf of Mexico.

1900StormMemorial.jpg

Fort Crockett World War II gun mounds still point out into the Gulf.

FortCrocketGunMound.jpg

Joggers still run on the seawall.

Jogger.jpg

Surfers still go surfing in the Gulf of Mexico.

Surfers.jpg

Skate Boarders still skate board on Seawall Blvd.

SkateBoarders.jpg

Still, after 70 years, the Gaido family still makes great seafood.

Guidos.jpg

Folks still go surry riding on Seawall Blvd.

BikeSurry.jpg

The Spot still serving great hamburgers to bikers.

TheSpot.jpg

Folks at the Poop Deck are still hosting "Hurricane Parties", and still don't eat on the second deck unless you really love seagulls.

PoupDeck.jpg

Strangers still sit on the seawall benches and just talk.

FolksTalk.jpg

Folks still walk with their favorite friends on Seawall Blvd., both two and four legged.

FavoriteDog.jpg

The high school art students still paint the seawall benches..

BlvdBenches.jpg

Folks still ride those bikes that lost their motors on the seawall.

FolksBikes.jpg

The Pleasure Pier still brings a lot of folks pleasure.

PleasurePier.jpg

The old Carousel still goes around, and around.

BubbaGumps.jpg

The Galveston Duck still carries folks on land and water tours.

DuckTours.jpg

Folks still spend hours shopping at Murdoch's for that perfect curio.

Murdocks.jpg

Hurricane Ike did something the Texas Rangers could not do, The Balinese Room is gone but not forgotten.

Balinese.jpg

The Galvez hotel is still "The Hotel" on Galveston Island, and the ghost still walk her hallways.

Galvez.jpg

Mario's is still the place for great Italian food.

Marios.jpg

Stewart's beach is still the best place to meet a good looking red headed girl in a little bitty yellow polka dot bikini.

StewartsBeach.jpg

And last but not lease, Cherry Hill is still the place to spoon on Saturday night.

CherryHill.jpg

In my 1/2 century plus years as a BOI on Galveston Island, not much has happened to the little island I use to know that sets in the Gulf of Mexico.

But, that was just a 12 minute motorcycle ride!

SmileyRider.jpg

Last edited:
HMMMMM, All I'm seeing is a bunch of asterisks in the original post. What did we miss out on?

In the last week of December of 1968 I was sitting in my tent in Viet Nam. In the 1st Cav. for some unknown reason a lot of our pilots were killed in their last week in county. So, the real Col. Goody, played by Robert Duvall in the movie about my unit, Apocalypse Now, issued an order that for their last week in county no Cav. pilot would be allowed to fly. Being that applied only to two of us that were still left, Casey and I, it really was not that big a deal. Casey and I had graduated from the same boot camp and flight school together, went to gun school together, went to escape and evasion school together, gone to Viet Nam together, flown hunter killer team together, and had become close friends for over 2 years at that time. A tech came into the tent needing someone to test fly a bird. Casey against my arguing with him, agreed to go test fly the bird. He crashed less that 50 feet behind my tent, killing him.

Being I was going home to Galveston anyway, I asked that I be allowed to take Casey home to St. Louis. Col. Goody agreed. The last two days were hell. All I could think about was getting home alive to my wife in Galveston. Shortly before I left, my tech, Ralph, came running into the tent playing his radio at full blast. The radio was playing "Galveston" for the first time.

Here is the first black and white version: [video=youtube;oMuFnq_RgOw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMuFnq_RgOw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:
West Beach, down towards San Louis pass. Bad under tow in this era. Also, at the pass a deep drop off. A couple of folks drown every year in this area. But a good place to play John Wayne and "Hatari" in the 60's. In 1965 with a date in the passenger seat in my 1959 Triumph TR3A while jumping the dunes I landed on the passenger side floor board on top a piling. It was about 2:00AM, and the piling took out the entire passenger floor board. This is where the exhaust just happens to be, and I had to drive that poor girl back to Houston, still. It was really a hot date, no muffler ride in the passenger seat back to Houston. Can't play Hatari in the dunes here anymore, they up an built some multi-million dollar beach homes here.xxxxx

Still to this date, it is a great place for the college kids spring break. Thousands of college spring breakers flock to this beach. I spent many a night out here sleeping on a towel. Heck, even senior graduation night in both high school and college were spent out here skinny dipping! Nothing like a crab pinching a nice young lady's or ladies toes out here. I promise every time she or they will jump onto your body rapping her legs around you! Nothing like being a beach bum. Those were the days my friend!

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time to share this important part of your life Sir. We all need to remember this time in our country's history. And to say Thank You and God Bless all the soldiers who fought and those that died. I feel as though we should never forget the reality of war. Each generation should be taught what really happens in war. Those statements were from my father. He saw it all in WWII and as a POW . Sure stuck with me all these years. Glad you made it home and glad you are enjoying life.
In the last week of December of 1968 I was sitting in my tent in Viet Nam. In the 1st Cav. for some unknown reason a lot of our pilots were killed in their last week in county. So, the real Col. Goody, played by Robert Duvall in the movie about my unit, Apocalypse Now, issued an order that for their last week in county no Cav. pilot would be allowed to fly. Being that applied only to two of us that were still left, Casey and I, it really was not that big a deal. Casey and I had graduated from the same boot camp and flight school together, went to gun school together, went to escape and evasion school together, gone to Viet Nam together, flown hunter killer team together, and had become close friends for over 2 years at that time. A tech came into the tent needing someone to test fly a bird. Casey against my arguing with him, agreed to go test fly the bird. He crashed less that 50 feet behind my tent, killing him.

Being I was going home to Galveston anyway, I asked that I be allowed to take Casey home to St. Louis. Col. Goody agreed. The last two days were hell. All I could think about was getting home alive to my wife in Galveston. Shortly before I left, my tech, Ralph, came running into the tent playing his radio at full blast. The radio was playing "Galveston" for the first time.

Here is the first black and white version: [video=youtube;oMuFnq_RgOw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMuFnq_RgOw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Back