• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Running lights installation

Mikee3544

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got my running lights ordered on ebay.
Each has a 10W 1 piece of LED ( total 20W, max 2A load )
I removed the front position light bulb from its socket ( 5W ).
Analyzing the electronic wiring diagram, it seems, it has a 7.5A fuse to the HORN/Illumi/STOP. At top load they are about 10 (horn) +1*5 ( back pos.light ) +21W ( brake ), which is 36W ~ 3A.

What do you think, can I hardwire these LED lights directly instead of the front position light ( with a 3A fuse ).
I think, the circuit can handle that.
It will remain at maximum 5A, but mostly 2.5-3Amps.

I know the universal answer is get the relay and sub harness kit... :)
I will buy it later, but the dealer didn't have it, so I will check it on ebay or amazon.

Wired my Givi 15 amp lights directly into my head light. Works on low beam only, as required in some states. It is the white head light wire that you attach to. Just unplug the headlight and you will see the white wire. Givi does have its own fuses and resisters. Simple install.

Last edited:
I just got my running lights ordered on ebay.
Each has a 10W 1 piece of LED ( total 20W, max 2A load )
I removed the front position light bulb from its socket ( 5W ).
Analyzing the electronic wiring diagram, it seems, it has a 7.5A fuse to the HORN/Illumi/STOP. At top load they are about 10 (horn) +1*5 ( back pos.light ) +21W ( brake ), which is 36W ~ 3A.

What do you think, can I hardwire these LED lights directly instead of the front position light ( with a 3A fuse ).
I think, the circuit can handle that.
It will remain at maximum 5A, but mostly 2.5-3Amps.

I know the universal answer is get the relay and sub harness kit... :)
I will buy it later, but the dealer didn't have it, so I will check it on ebay or amazon.

The thing that would concern me the most, is the stop light in that circuit. I wouldn't want to accidently blow that fuse, despite "it should be okay to do" calculations. I don't like wiring anything in directly, myself.

The OEM relay and sub harness is neat, and can make things easier to add accessory-wise, but I wouldn't let not having one, even temporarily, hold you back from doing what you want now.

IMHO, just do a perfectly easy and safe "normal" and dirt cheap Bosch-type relay install, from the switched power of the position light wire.

Installed the LED lights as you mentioned aboved with a fuse.
Here are the pics.
If you have any advice how to mount properly these lights on to the crash guard, that would be nice.
BTW, they are very bright, 2*10W cree LED.

led_lights1.jpg
led_lights2.jpg
led_lights3.jpg

Lookin' good! :cool:

Do you have any place where you are to find something like these?

"Acorn" or Cap nuts:

acorn_cap_nuts.jpg

Something to dress up the exposed threads of the bolts holding the light clamps would be nice, I think :)

Edit- is there any way you can mount the lights inboard of the crash bars instead of sticking out? I would be afraid of smashing the lights, if the bike fell over...

Last edited:
Yes, you are right about the inside/outside placement. I checked it, and in case of fell, these brackets can turn/roll over and the lights turn freely inside. I hope, it never happen, but if so, the lights has enough place and will not hit the side fairings or the engine.
On this weekend I will dismount it just for a try, if there is enough place to put them inside without covering the lights behind the crash bars. There is only about 4-5 cms.

The light output is about 750-800 lumens on each LEDs and the H4 headlight is ~ 1500.
That cap nut cover is a good idea, I will look after it!
Thx :)

ps : I was stopped 4 times in the last 2 days by other bikers to explain, what kinda lights are these. They are so shine, everyone look at them.

Yes, you are right about the inside/outside placement. I checked it, and in case of fell, these brackets can turn/roll over and the lights turn freely inside. I hope, it never happen, but if so, the lights has enough place and will not hit the side fairings or the engine.
On this weekend I will dismount it just for a try, if there is enough place to put them inside without covering the lights behind the crash bars. There is only about 4-5 cms.

The light output is about 750-800 lumens on each LEDs and the H4 headlight is ~ 1500.
That cap nut cover is a good idea, I will look after it!
Thx :)

ps : I was stopped 4 times in the last 2 days by other bikers to explain, what kinda lights are these. They are so shine, everyone look at them.

Great job! Feel free with any more pictures as you go along :D

headlights1.jpg

mounted the lights inside the crash bars, they still can be seen very well.
We went into a tunnel later that day, they are definitely very bright!

The upper white lights are 2*3 DLR leds.

image.jpgYou can try these brackets:
Techmount Light Mount Kit (pair) for 7/8", 1", 28mm, 1.25", 21.3mm, and 26.9mm crashbars and handlebars - Black or Silver - TwistedThrottle.com

Last edited:
I bought it on ebay, exactly this one :
LED DLR

you can buy 5 or 6 LEDs from the same type, but these 3 LED types perfectly fit behind the windscreen.
Each led's power is 1W, so 6W is similar to the 5WT10 position light bulb, which I removed from it's socket.

Hey Mikee ....

Great job on the Running lights ...

Do the LED's mounted behind the windscreen reflect light back at you at all ?? just wondering - especially at night ??

thanks ...

I bought it on ebay, exactly this one :
LED DLR

you can buy 5 or 6 LEDs from the same type, but these 3 LED types perfectly fit behind the windscreen.
Each led's power is 1W, so 6W is similar to the 5WT10 position light bulb, which I removed from it's socket.

Hi,
sorry for the very late reply...
they don't reflect, just noticeable. I had to use a piece of metal to tighten the LEDs behind the windshield!
I used the same LEDs on my car. They were said to be waterproof but finally they burned up - but it was a really have rain condition. So placing it behind the windshield casue no matter at all.
Tomorrow I'll take some photos of them!

Bought a few weeks ago a pair of these COB LEDs

They are not flexible, but very bright!
Still thinking on where to mount them or how to use.

Back