• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rear brake strength on no ABS model.

Erok

Reaction score
Visit site
Any ideas on getting more rear brake power on non-abs models? My rear brake just has abysmal stopping power. Can't even get it to lock up. Softer pads? Different caliper?

Any ideas on getting more rear brake power on non-abs models? My rear brake just has abysmal stopping power. Can't even get it to lock up. Softer pads? Different caliper?

You say that like its a bad thing....

Yes, it is a bad thing for me. Not necessarily for all but certainly for me. I want to have control. I've been riding a long time and know how much rear brake to give. With this bike I dang near have to stomp down with all my weight to get any rear brake...that's no fun when you want a little trail braking into a corner. So, yes, once again, this lack of rear brake is dangerous in my opinion and I'd like to get more braking power out it.

Yes the back brakes on this bike are weak.but used properly with the front they are ok.you could beef up the pads i guess.

They are definitely weak rear brakes - probably engineered by Honda to be so as part of the overall braking system. A typical uneducated rear-brake only rider would not last very long on it. I do not know yet how they limited the rear braking. Certainly the pad and caliper are large enough to get it done. It could be by the bore diameter of the master cylinder. That would be the easiest way to intentionally restrict it. One day when I am bored I will take the system completely off and evaluate it.

I can do a stoppie now with the front ABS caliper on my non-ABS bike, so a stronger rear is not going to stop me any faster, but I like a strong rear brake for nefarious reasons. I disconnect the brake light switch on the rear brake and if my radar detector gets a bogie I can scrub speed without lighting the road up behind me or having front end dive announce my heavy braking action. My normal stopping mode is primarily front brake so the brake lights will function from it. I never use only the rear to stop.

Trooper, don't tell your buds at the Georgia State Patrol about me. It's supposed to be a secret.

I generally tap on the back brake for control, not so much for slowing down. Unless I need to stop fast, then I go heavy on it and it does help. Haven't noticed it being extraordinary weak though.

They are definitely weak rear brakes - probably engineered by Honda to be so as part of the overall braking system. A typical uneducated rear-brake only rider would not last very long on it. I do not know yet how they limited the rear braking. Certainly the pad and caliper are large enough to get it done. It could be by the bore diameter of the master cylinder. That would be the easiest way to intentionally restrict it. One day when I am bored I will take the system completely off and evaluate it.

I can do a stoppie now with the front ABS caliper on my non-ABS bike, so a stronger rear is not going to stop me any faster, but I like a strong rear brake for nefarious reasons. I disconnect the brake light switch on the rear brake and if my radar detector gets a bogie I can scrub speed without lighting the road up behind me or having front end dive announce my heavy braking action. My normal stopping mode is primarily front brake so the brake lights will function from it. I never use only the rear to stop.

Trooper, don't tell your buds at the Georgia State Patrol about me. It's supposed to be a secret.

I bet you are right about the bore diameter being the restriction. Please let us know what you find out when you do some digging.

Cleaning the disk with brake clean and scotch pad, then scuff the pads, rebed the pads and see if the brake becomes more effective.

It reminds me of my old KLR rear brake.............. Only time it locked up was right before I hit the car turning left.............

Back