• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question on storage prep/fuel drainage

SirBean

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,
I have been a lurker for awhile and come finally with a question for the wise ones.

I am moving to Hawaii (I know, waa waa, poor me) Anyway the bike needs to be drained of fuel for shipping. Along with a good clean, chain lube, and oil change, all that is left is to drain the fuel. I'm used to the old way with carbs (pull hose, drain, and open float bowl screw to drain carb) but don't know anything about fuel ingexted?

Anyone know if there is an easy way, or should I just siphon out as much as possible?

Thanks.

I'll have a Mai Tai for ya...

I would just siphon it and tell them it was empty. The problem with a FI bike vs. a carbureted bike is that since the fuel is pumped out of the tank, the fuel line does not come out at a low point in the tank.

I agree with Beemerpile. Siphon it. The Mai Tai won't cost that much in Hawaii, but wait until by buy you first gallon of milk. Prices are high for everything in Hawaii. Which island will you be living on. Another NC700 in the middle of the ocean! Hard to ride on water.

I agree with Beemerpile. Siphon it. The Mai Tai won't cost that much in Hawaii, but wait until by buy you first gallon of milk. Prices are high for everything in Hawaii. Which island will you be living on. Another NC700 in the middle of the ocean! Hard to ride on water.

I thought the locals got discounts on food and such that the tourists can't get. I have a couple of friends who live there. You could not get them back to the lower 48 by gunpoint.

Near where I live some used equipment dealer had some old service station gasoline pumps he wanted to export. He was apparently of the "hell, that's close enough" philosophy regarding getting ALL the gasoline out of them prior to loading them in an intermodal container.

About two o'clock in the morning, as the truck driver was just getting started on his way down to the port...still in a largely residential area....something ignited the now vaporized gasoline fumes which had built up. Vaporized gasoline doesn't burn; it explodes.

The explosion blew both doors off the back of the container, one of which flew into somebody's business. It ripped the right side of the container wide open and peeled back the roof like a sardine can. We're talking a solid steel container here, don't forget. The driver said the blast also forced the whole truck forward like a booster rocket.

If it had happened a few hours later, it would have been in an urban area, quite likely in the midst of a Tokyo traffic jam and with severe destruction and carnage.

Try to get all the gas out.

Last edited:

Yeh, I know the cost of living issues... I was there for 8 years before... I will be on Oahu. Are you there? Honestly, I'd rather stay state side where I have room to roam and have a variety of ride options... The 700X should fit in real well though considering utility and mpgs...

If I drain the tank, is there a need to purge the FI system? The bike will be boxed for about 5 months until I actually get there (doing some other stuff enroute). I'd hate to have the gas varnish in the injector system...

Last edited:
Your bike would have been run at the factory after it was built. Ask your dealer which parts of the fuel system are empty when they unpack/prep the bikes when they are delivered from Japan.

WHy do you have to drain the fuel?!? or any of the fluids? I have shipped my bike back and forth a few time. I assume you are using PASHA? They ship everything to the islands... anyway.. They only required there be a half tank or less. It's to keep the weight down. My truck had 3/4 and they didnt care when I showed last time to shipped the vehicles. Besides...you have to be able to drive it away from the port. AND they have to move it around in the warehouse and onto the ship. Are they gonna push it around everywhere?

I'm military so its being shipped by the gov't, so I don't know the cost. Why drain it... because it is getting crated along with all my furniture. Small confined space not fume friendly...

I see... I shipped it regular old civilian style...lol
I wouldn't want gas shipped with my furniture and clothes either....

Shipping with PASHA from San Diego (area) to Honolulu was about $600. My truck was $1070

Last edited:
Back