• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Save your ears! Wear ear plugs!

happy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.nc700-forum.com
In my experience, all riders (even with super quiet helmets) should consider to wear ear-plugs if they travel more than 10 minutes per trip.

In the long term, biker deafness (partial or total) is the result of many miles of riding without ear protection.

It is not the noise or sound from the motor (engine), but rather the hissing wind noise which can deafen you.

Do you hear me?
:p

I can't disagree with you at all!
When I'm riding My Goldwing at 70-80 mph my radio isn't loud enough, same volume setting at a stop it is to darn loud!
I were ear plugs or ear phone speakers most of the time. That way I can turn the volume down pretty low.

You are so right! There has been a lot of research, and the medical profession highly recommend bikers to wear ear plugs - your hearing is too valuable to put at risk for the sake of cheap earplugs. I have some made to fit and can wear them all day long on the bike without discomfort.

There are many bikers with tinnitus due to not using earplugs (we didn't know about things like that when I were a lad), and bitterly regret they hadn't know about the need to wear earplugs - so you have been warned!

Thank you. My bike should be in on Wednesday and I'll pick it up on Friday. I'm so excited :cool: I've only ridden a motorcycle during the BRC, so I am a little (ok, ALOT) nervous, but I still can't wait. It's gonna be a long week

Thank you. My bike should be in on Wednesday and I'll pick it up on Friday. I'm so excited :cool: I've only ridden a motorcycle during the BRC, so I am a little (ok, ALOT) nervous, but I still can't wait. It's gonna be a long week

Its definitely worth the wait. Most of my riding was also in BRCs and the fastest I got to was 25mph on the course. I was feeling adventurous when I picked it up from the dealer, and rode it 110miles straight (including two traffic jams) on the interstate. I hid behind the windscreen doing 75mph in the HOV lane so I wasn't blasted head-on with all that breeze.

You're going to have a great time. Here's to miles and miles of fun, day/night ;-)

To return to the original topic of this thread I would NEVER ride without earplugs these days. I only wish that they had been around back in the 60s when I started riding as then I may not have the problems that I do

While I was in the Navy. I was tested every year for my hearing. I always passed he test with flying colors. I heard everything they threw at me. I was told that I had outstanding hearing. To this day I can still hear the water dripping in the sink or a pot water boiling. While others will say no way, you can't hear that! No earplugs ever!!!!!!!! The only time I wear ear protection is when I m shooting my collection of firearms. Too many to list here. One of me all time new favorites, the S&W Governor .410/.45 Colt/.45

Everyone's genetics are different. Do what you think is best for your well being and safety.

Last edited:
I wear plugs even when I'm riding my Victory Cross Country with it's HUMONGOUS still air pocket. Ear plugs certainly make it easier to hear what you NEED to hear.

I used to park next to a BMW rider and noticed he put earplugs in each day when he left. I asked why, and he told me that it not only saves your hearing, but keeps you feeling more refreshed. I tried it and was sold.

One of the things I do in my spare time, is to organize a concert in the local prison. We had a group come in once that has stuck in my memory. The drummer rode a Harley for years and years and years. He knew only one volume for those drums...loud. He couldn't really hear what he was playing, so he played the drums loud enough to feel the beat. The other group members played to match his volume. In the small room we were in, they were deafening. I don't know if his loss of hearing was from loud pipes, no earplugs, or both...but he was pretty much deaf.

Chris

Earplugs or well sealed ear buds are a must when you ride. There was a test in one of the magazines years ago that showed how loud the wind noise was even inside of a helmet. It was a shocker to me and I've worn earplugs ever since. I found that if you want to have some jams the FUZE custom earphones work really well (sorry don't know how to get a link to them), comfortable and blocks out a lot of noise, of course if you listen to your music at ear bleed levels....

I strongly agree on earplugs - one of the must-have. Wear them whenever I ride. I also do not think a stereo Bluetooth speaker pad installed inside the helmet will help to reduce noise. You will pretty much crank up the volume to counter the wind noise, which will deaf you more.

What is the Legality of wearing Headphones, or installing speakers inside of your helmet?

I don't see how anyone could tell what you had inside your helmet :p

Honestly, I don't know what the law actually says. I wear earplugs and have my BT helmet speakers at full volume, and can still hear cars and stuff around me. I can hear a lot more than an insulated car with a nice sound system...

I wear earplugs and have my BT helmet speakers at full volume, and can still hear cars and stuff around me. I can hear a lot more than an insulated car with a nice sound system...

Does it not defeat the purpose of having an ear plug with the volume to the max? I was thinking if we could modify/use the in ear stereo headphones instead of the stereo pad...

My BT speakers aren't very loud. Having ear plugs blocks out the wind noise, but still lets me hear the important stuff. Also, I can quickly switch the music off if I need to hear something else.

I tried ear buds, but I didn't like fighting them all the time.

I believe there are a couple BT systems that have adaptors if you want to use earbuds.

Back