• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Lateral 'play' on throttle esp across bumpy roads.

Atomant

Reaction score
Visit site
Have noticed that there is severe lateral throttle play especially when riding along bumpy roads. DOes anyone else experienced this? I can't seem to move the throttle clamps closer to the balancer to reduce lateral play due to the OEM 'notches' on the clamps being inserted into the bar to hold the clamps in place.

So I am wondering should I grind away those notches with a makita grinder or should I push the balancer closer in?(if possible)?

Anyone else got a better fix?

if you move the bar end weight, or the throttle assembly, you may make the throttle hang up, and not return to the closed position freely. it has to have some free play dale

Is this preceived problem related to other posting on throttle cable lube and body panels needed to reach the lower cable adjustment????????????

How much play are you talking about? Mine probably moves around a combined 3/4 of an inch.

3/4 of an inch!? Does that feel normal to you my friend?

My throttle lateral play is somewhere in the midst of 1/8 of an inch and it feels really really sucky going across bumpy roads its weird they leave so much lateral play on the throttle I have never felt it on any other bikes.

...........post pictures or video.........

It's just lateral play dude. Instead of twisting the throttle like how you would accelerate a bike, move it side to side. That is the lateral play I'm talking about. Not throttle free play which is mandatory. This lateral play is very irritating when going across bumpy roads I pretty much have my throttle sliding from side to side it's pretty idiotic in my own words.

This lateral play might seem minor when the bike is stationary. But when across bump or a few bumps is when it magnifies.

I have about 2 or 3 mm of lateral play, and about 5 or 6 mm of free throttle play. I find these measures pretty normal

It's just lateral play dude. Instead of twisting the throttle like how you would accelerate a bike, move it side to side. That is the lateral play I'm talking about. Not throttle free play which is mandatory. This lateral play is very irritating when going across bumpy roads I pretty much have my throttle sliding from side to side it's pretty idiotic in my own words.

This lateral play might seem minor when the bike is stationary. But when across bump or a few bumps is when it magnifies.

DUDE.........was giving you the benefit of the doubt, given your past postings, because most of the responses were mentioning free play and this lateral play was not being understood. Especially if have taken this think apart given those prior postings.

So 3/4 of an inch may have been an overestimation. but I do have lateral play for sure. I wouldn't mess with it. It might be the result of gripping to throttle to tightly on the rougher roads, which is why it's more noticeable.

Well I'm surprised no one is complaining about it because that lateral play sure is interfering with 'smooth throttle operation'.

Most bikes the throttle play is about the thickness of a quarter. When I bought my NC, honda dealer insist that Honda's play is a lot more... 1/4 I think... Anyway, I got used to it...

That's strange ... None of my bikes I ever had (15 including a few Hondas) displayed lateral play of the throttle more then maybe 1/8"....
I don't like the sound of it being "normal" at all....

Assuming the grip is not sliding on the throttle tube, you have a problem with the throttle tube attachment. My tube has approx. 1/16" of lateral play.

Back