• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Vibration 2500-3000

Drifter

Reaction score
Visit site
I have read most all the posts on the subject...i have 2 ideas as to the cause.

1. Chain vibration, alot of big singles like my DR 650 at lower rpms in top gear cause violent vibs in the chain up-down and side to side scary to see with the guard off. Other singles do this also.

2. Its possible at this rpm in top gear the engine is running lean...which causes vibration. In due time there will be other maps available to richen it up.

It might be a combination of both that would be my best guess.

Last edited:
A harmonic is a possibility, but most report this problem in 6th gear only a harmonic would repeat itself at that RPM in each gear. Another possibility is the frame or pegs has an oscillation at that load and rpm.

Anyone else have ideas???

Dear sirs....
I have no answer but I could also give a suggestion, rev it upwards to 4000-5000.
I do that all the time, staying in 4th or 5th gear, sometimes by mistake.
It does not harm the engine and it does not necessarily consume more petrol.
:D
~Joe

it does not necessarily consume more petrol.
:D
~Joe[/QUOTE]

???
Silly me...I thought that's what overdrive was all about

quote "A harmonic is a possibility, but most report this problem in 6th gear only a harmonic would repeat itself at that RPM in each gear."

I have the NC700XD. I experience an unpleasant vibration each time the "S" mode is about shift (2500-3000) rpm and in 6th gear at 2500-3000 rpm. Does anyone else with the DCT have this problem?

Technically speaking it does consume more petrol.
What i really mean is: it is so fuel efficient already, it does not hurt the pocket.
Having bad dreams about the harmonics or buzzing will actually drive some people crazy.
Be happy don't worry.
:p

If people are not happy about the problem with their bikes they are right to try and find the reason and if possible a solution. the idea of ignore it and it will go away doesn't work
I'm interested to know how you can technically use more fuel. To my mind it either uses more fuel or it doesn't

My DCT vaguely reminds me of my old Triumph pre-unit Twin though it's not nearly the bone rattler that one was! But from what I understand Honda engine was designed intentionally to not be too smooth and to have personality. To me there are times when the bike feels and sounds really good, while other times (mostly while in D mode) where it seems like it's trying to shake itself apart! So even though such variation makes it possibly harder to identify if something is truly wrong, I think I'll just get used to it and put faith in Honda that all"s well. That along with making sure everything stays buttoned up tight!

For me, in D mode everything is smooth. When switching to S mode, with higher revs (4K) I feel the vibration but nothing to be worried about.

Back