• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Improved Lighting - 2020 NC750X

mackinac_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everybody, first post here as a relatively new owner of a 2020 NC750X DCT. I want to share what I did for auxiliary lights to improve upon the stock lighting--specifically to supplement the low beam. I love the bike, but the stock LED headlight is probably the worst I have ever seen so I immediately set off to find a solution that was 1) much brighter than stock and 2) had a beam pattern similar to a good low beam with a sharp cutoff to not blind other drivers. The beam cutoff was important to me and actually somewhat difficult to find. I looked into a lot of different options including Denali and various cheap amazon LEDs, but I ended up settling on the Morimoto 2Banger HXB Wide Beam in white after reading a review on the yellow version here: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...og-light-review.554813/page-325#post-28318190. Even though it's designed more for the offroading 4x4 crowd, I found it to be exactly what I was looking for. Sharp cutoff, extremely bright, SAE approved (as a fog lamp, even though it functions more like a low beam). They look and feel extremely premium...which is why they run $300+ if you buy the wiring harness that comes with the relay pre-wired (which I do recommend). While expensive, I don't think you will find a better option than this if you are looking for maximum functionality.

IMG_4410.jpg

I was able to attach them to the Denali light mounting bar with (4) 5/16" bolts and nuts (3/4" of 1" long will work), and (8) 5/16" washers with 7/8" outer diameter. The sizes between the Denali bar and the brackets that come with the lights are slightly different, hence the large OD washers. But it mounts up solid and doesn't look too bad. Here are links to the lights and Denali mounting bar:

As far as installation, I could have wired it up to the OEM auxiliary power harness, but I decided against that because the morimoto lights together draw 48 watts (nearly 4 amps) and I have the OEM heated grips installed as well as the 12V accessory outlet. So I decided to connect the power for the lights directly to the battery with the inline fuse that comes with the Morimoto power harness kit. The Morimoto power harness kit also comes with a relay trigger wire as an option instead of using their switch (the blue wire on the bottom right of the picture below) that I crimped onto a SC110-4 connector from cycle terminal, which then connected right into to the OEM auxiliary power harness. So basically the OEM auxiliary power harness is providing switched power to trigger the relay, and but then the power for the lights is coming straight off the battery through the inline fuse. The Morimoto lights come on when the key is turned on, which is how I wanted it. As far as cable routing, it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. There is plenty of room to zip tie the excess cable length and relay from the power harness kit under the plastic fairings.

morimoto.jpg

I will try to get a picture of what they look like at night and post that later. It's really a night and day difference. The only problem they don't solve is blindspots when cornering, but that is always going to be a problem unless you have some sort of adaptive headlight with a lean sensor/IMU. I'm thinking about buying a second set of the morimoto 2banger lights with the combo beam for a supplemental high beam. I would mount them where I currently have the wide beam lights, invert the wide beam lights to sit beneath the Denali bar, and wire the combo beam lights to the high beam switch. That would be the ultimate lighting solution, but that's another $300+ so we'll see.

Shout out to CapeMan and his excellent write up here: https://www.nc700-forum.com/threads/auxiliary-lighting-for-2018-nc750x.16641/
While I didn't really set up my stuff like his, his posts were invaluable in helping me figure out the electrical and how to make my own system work.

Now to get some better wind protection...

Last edited:
I looked at a '24 DCT today in a dealer's showroom. The salesman turned it on and I was impressed (well, depressed) by how awful the headlight is. I think the stylists should be forced to ride across country on these bikes on rural roads w/ no street lights.

The only problem they don't solve is blindspots when cornering, but that is always going to be a problem unless you have some sort of adaptive headlight with a lean sensor/IMU.

Auxiliary lights are either pencil or fog beam patterns, and you are right, lighting the road AND sides of the road is almost always a problem and is only solved by some automotive headlights.

Last edited:
Here's how they look at dusk. My yard is on a different slope than the driveway, hence why the beam looks crooked.IMG_4468.jpeg
IMG_4469.jpeg

Battery voltage at idle was 14.3V with all of the lights on, the heated grips on high, and the radiator fan on.

Back