• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Alert DCT Fixed for over $2300

Hondo53

Reaction score
Visit site
DCT Does the limp mode thing at 50k miles. It turned indo a 77 day long part swapping adventure at Cycle Shack North In Spring, Tx. Battery weak, change it, nope, new shift motor, nope, new DCT Controller, nope (returned, saved me $1000)@%, new clutch assembly x2 because its Dual Clutch, nope, ok, last chance, new main shaft sensor. Cheap part, just $125 but you have to remove the motor to install it. $400 installed. Hurrah it now shifts past first! Could have saved over $1600 dollars if they had just done that first. But it would have been a hard sell! To do that first. I would have said no to dropping the engine to change a sensor first. How about you? $2300 to fix a bike that I bought for $3500 with 4k miles. But I love her

Dang, isn't there a way for them to test things before replacing them? Especially the dual clutches?
Per the sevice manual, DTC 53 or 54 might have shown to indicate a “mainshaft sensor speed low”, with a resulting symptom being “gearshift function does not work”. From there the service manual will describe step by step how to check the sensors. We don’t know from this thread what errors might have displayed.

The troubleshooting sequence described in post #1 seems more like just guesswork. This dealer’s apparently haphazard methods served them well, paying off handsomely.

Per the sevice manual, DTC 53 or 54 might have shown to indicate a “mainshaft sensor speed low”, with a resulting symptom being “gearshift function does not work”. From there the service manual will describe step by step how to check the sensors. We don’t know from this thread what errors might have displayed.

The troubleshooting sequence described in post #1 seems more like just guesswork. This dealer’s apparently haphazard methods served them well, paying off handsomely.

Seems that way to me too

I am OK with paying for diagnosis time, but I would not be happy about paying for a fishing expedition. At the very least, I would be expressing my dissatisfaction with the service to the dealership’s management and to Honda.

A peculiar part of this brief story is that apparently because the transmission would not shift beyond first, both clutches were replaced. Suppose it starts in neutral, then you push ”D”. Turn the throttle and the bike engages the odd gear clutch and moves forward. It moves along fine in first gear, but doesn’t shift to second gear. So, that means both clutches are bad? There must be a lot more to this story to explain the progression of service events.

Reactions: MZ5
Here is their story. See pic.
After establishing DTC 54-1 as primary, the 2012 Honda NC700X service manual leads, on page 12–44, into a series of voltage and continuity checks for the outer mainshaft sensor and wiring. Those steps being performed are not specifically mentioned or detailed in the dealer’s report. Since the sensor was bad, one would have hoped those checks would have determined the problem. Advancing to PCM replacement at that point seems to be where the troubleshooting went awry, and led down the path of replacement of non-defective parts (PCM and clutches), before circling back to the mainshaft sensor.

Replacing the clutch packs, which were still within service limit and unrelated to the 54 code, seems like an unnecessary expense. I don‘t recall anyone on the forum yet reporting replacement of their DCT clutch packs, but maybe it has happened and I’ve forgotten.

Tech erroneously refers to the PCM as a PGM and PGM-FI.

Yes, they did replace both clutch packs to the tune of $325 each plus labor. You know I feel like I fell into a pack of parts swoppers but I was told that the mechanic was Honda trained and knew what he was doing, but I’m not so sure, but the bottom line is it’s shifting very smoothly now, so it makes it hard to complain too much.

Just curious. What type of code reader can an individual purchase to read these problem codes so we have an idea what’s going on with our machine? Brand and model # would be helpful.

Just curious. What type of code reader can an individual purchase to read these problem codes so we have an idea what’s going on with our machine? Brand and model # would be helpful.
I don’t know what model year you have. On pre-‘16 models, you can lower the sidestand with transmission in neutral and the engine running, and the MIL (malfunction indicator lamp) will flash out the DTC on the dash. Since Honda took that away, access to the fault codes can be gained, at least on some models, with a shorting tool through the Honda DLC. Best to get the service manual for your year/model, but this link gives a general idea: https://www.cyclepedia.com/honda_scs_service_connector/

If you search the forum you’ll find some people writing about adapters for OBD tools, but I don’t know anything about that.

I don’t know what model year you have. On pre-‘16 models, you can lower the sidestand with transmission in neutral and the engine running, and the MIL (malfunction indicator lamp) will flash out the DTC on the dash. Since Honda took that away, access to the fault codes can be gained, at least on some models, with a shorting tool through the Honda DLC. Best to get the service manual for your year/model, but this link gives a general idea: https://www.cyclepedia.com/honda_scs_service_connector/

If you search the forum you’ll find some people writing about adapters for OBD tools, but I don’t know anything about that.
I have a 2023. I’d like to have a code reader for trouble shooting

Back