• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Your mirror might be the cause of your buffeting noise

Doc, do you have any pictures of your windshield? How did you cut it?

I don't have the means to upload pictures, but its just a few inched shorter. Nothing else about it changed. I watched this to learn how to do it if you're interested:
Trim a motorcycle windshield. - YouTube

I'd suggest you try the extenders first. That made much more of a difference than cutting down the windshield.

I tried the experiment, removed the mirrors and went for a ride. I noticed little or no effect, so In my case it doesn't seem to be a factor. I also removed the handguards, and that didn't seem to help either.

I'm 5'8.5" with about a 2" lift on an aftermarket seat. I cut 4 or 5 inches off the stock windscreen.

View attachment 19463 View attachment 19464

What would be the best way to go about cutting it down? Dremmel or something similar? A jigsaw with the right blade would work, too, I would think. With warmer weather already here in Arkansas, I want to get clean air all summer long. I plan on purchasing a Madstad for the winter time, but until then I want to shorten the screen to just cover the instrument panel. Maybe even shorter than this picture. I have mirror extenders on the way, as well.

Last edited:
What would be the best way to go about cutting it down? Dremmel or something similar? A jigsaw with the right blade would work, too, I would think. With warmer weather already here in Arkansas, I want to get clean air all summer long. I plan on purchasing a Madstad for the winter time, but until then I want to shorten the screen to just cover the instrument panel. Maybe even shorter than this picture. I have mirror extenders on the way, as well.

I wonder if you couldn’t just drill four new holes and lower the screen? Not sure how it is on your year bike.

One idea: You mentioned switching back and forth between the Madstad and a shortened shield. If you can buy the original style Madstad used from someone, the original mount is a curved black metal shield that would protect the instrument panel. For summer you just remove the Madstad screen and adjustable mounts, leaving the little metal shield as your summer windscreen.

81C09195-E697-4CFA-824C-C26F3AA95EF5.jpeg

One idea: You mentioned switching back and forth between the Madstad and a shortened shield. If you can buy the original style Madstad used from someone, the original mount is a curved black metal shield that would protect the instrument panel. For summer you just remove the Madstad screen and adjustable mounts, leaving the little metal shield as your summer windscreen.

View attachment 36015

Didn't know that about the Madstad! That'd be wonderful. Will definitely check on that.

Since I bought the MRA variotouring screen with the adjustable lip on it, I will be cutting down my stock screen and testing it out. I really like the MRA. With the lip on it, I can adjust it to get a good amount of air flow on my head and neck for really hot days, but I can deploy the lip all the way and decrease the airflow quite a bit. The buffeting noise is a little loud, but it doesn't actually hurt my head and throw my head around like I've experienced before. It's quite nice. I will say, the MRA won't be for taller riders. I'm 5'6 with a 29" inseam and I have the screen mounted in the lower position on the bike. I tried the upper position and it was very bad! Shook my helmet around like a jackhammer. It's amazing how big a difference that makes. I'm sure the mirror extenders help, too. I've had them on for about a week, now.

I'll try and report back once I've cut down the stock screen and tested it. I would still like more air on my body during the summer.

I like the approaches presented here for trying to isolate the buffet issue. Certainly removing the mirrors and testing, then removing the handguards and testing makes a lot of sense. If that doesn't remove your specific buffet issue then you know that your barking up the wrong tree in your case. This is a hard one to pin down for certain because we are all different proportions, heights, and use different posture when riding. Combine the other variables of helmets, and farkles and it is quite a mix. But I think the idea is sound to keep removing stuff until you remove the buffeting and then add things back one thing at a time. Once the buffeting appears then you know you need to make changes to that component.

I think I am going to try those Double Take Ram mounted mirrors on the NC. Since I continually have an issue with my right mirror that wants to come lose when riding. I am thinking that the ram mount will make it adjustable enough that I can move it around to try different positions with the mirrors also which may also help with the buffet and wind noise issues. Just a thought. If you have tested and know for certain that your mirrors are causing your buffet issues then this may be an option that might help?

I have been trying to solve the buffeting noise that was coming from both side, I started to look around in forums on bike that are similar to our. like the Vstorm, many of them said that the mirror cause the buffeting due the very flat mirrors shape...
So, mreric, almost 4 years later, what's the conclusion? Did you solve the issue? Very interested...

I have been using KTM Duke mirrors

So, mreric, almost 4 years later, what's the conclusion? Did you solve the issue? Very interested...
I’ve been using KTM Duke mirrors on my V-Strom since 2012. It works fine for me.
I also fitted a custom tinted windshield on my Storm. I can’t locate a photo to post.

I have solved the issues with buffeting noise. i still love my NC and commute 40 miles per day

i did replace my mirror with mirror i got on ebay, lower and rounder in the back profile.

but the biggest change i did was the madstad screen, i got a 22 inch screen, drilled few inches higher to lower the screen. a lot of air was coming from the bottom side by the headlight and turn signal.

the ride is completely quiet now. i mean i can hear the wind but no buffeting noise. is clean and constant noise the way it should be.

let me know if more help is needed

View attachment 36015

I've been thinking of taking the windshield off to get more of a breeze with the temps around here at 95+ the past few days. I have the mirror extenders which seemed to help a little bit with the turbulence. The only time I don't wear ear plugs is on my short (4 miles) commute to and from work.

I have solved the issues with buffeting noise. i still love my NC and commute 40 miles per day

i did replace my mirror with mirror i got on ebay, lower and rounder in the back profile.

but the biggest change i did was the madstad screen, i got a 22 inch screen, drilled few inches higher to lower the screen. a lot of air was coming from the bottom side by the headlight and turn signal.

the ride is completely quiet now. i mean i can hear the wind but no buffeting noise. is clean and constant noise the way it should be.

let me know if more help is needed

Great! I'm glad you solved the issue.
I'm having almost identical issue, so, can you post what mirrors you bought? You used the extenders too or just mirrors?
I ordered extenders to try on the original mirrors...

I bought last year Madstad too, but not so much impressed...

Great! I'm glad you solved the issue.
I'm having almost identical issue, so, can you post what mirrors you bought? You used the extenders too or just mirrors?
I ordered extenders to try on the original mirrors...

I bought last year Madstad too, but not so much impressed...

20180703_180339.jpg

20180703_180358.jpg

Back