• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Yes, more of Colorado

Cigar Mike

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am still working on getting as many of Colorado's best roads in. To make good loops from home and back the mileage is increasing. This loop was about 350 miles which we could have done easily. But the idea of staying away one night was appealing. And it was another attempt at packing the bikes better.

We left the house at 6:00 am and headed for Colorado Springs to pick up the 24 west. We passed the place we spend most of our time when we are not riding. Blackstone Country Club.
002.jpg

We avoid the freeway as long as possible and go south on 83 until it crosses the 25. Everything is green and the weather cool and crisp. The over the shoulder shot of my riding partner and better half for the last 44 years.
010.jpg

I used a small sports bag to carry a few extra items this time. Some of the items I wished I had last trip. You can see how the Blaze saddlebags expand in this picture. I am surprised how much we can get into them. 21 litters each when expanded.
011.jpg

We stopped for fuel in Woodland Park. The tail bag on Cathy's 500 is what I have coming next week, it is one of those Home Depot bags that were on sale for $8. I could not find two at the time so ordered one for considerably more but far less that anything else I could find. Mine will be silver and should look good on the 700.
012.jpg

From the 24 we turn south onto the 67 to the 81 to Victor, Cripple Creek, Guffey up the 9 and then back to the 24. Here the some pictures from along the way.
016.jpg

018.jpg

021.jpg

030.jpg

035.jpg

This is right before the 24. We stopped here for a short rest and to watch a big rig not make a turn onto a county road. He ended up going across the 24 and to come from the other direction to make the turn.
042.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

Headed down to Buena Vista where we will stay the night. Crazy winds on the way down here. Gusts hit us from two directions a fraction of a second apart making for a scary moment for Cathy. She said it made her feel like it picked up the back tire off the ground.
045.jpg

Made it to the KOA where we had a one room cabin for the night. We were too early so wnet into town to eat at Jan's Family Restaurant on the recommendation posted in another report. He was right the chicken fried steak was good.
047.jpg

The weather forecast was for high winds and thunderstorms. We got up early the next day and made short work of the 135 miles back to home. On the way Cathy mentioned that she hoped we would never get tired of appreciating this beautify country. I hope she is right. In the past we had taken long trips seeing all of the National Parks in Utah. By the time we got to the Grand Canyon I was thinking if you have seen one hole in the ground you had seen them all.

Nice pics, my kind of open and nothing on both sides of road.the two bikes beside each other looks good,if you didn't know the difference you would almost think they were the same.be safe and more pics I hope.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Other than the PCH, I think Colorado was my favorite for scenic views!

PCH is nice when you get far enough north. Been on it from the Mexican border to Oregon. It does not come close to the beauty and fun factor of the roads in Colorado, IMO.

I Lived in California for 58 years and will never go back. But for those that have never been to the Pacific Ocean it would be cool.

Great pictures! I will be riding some of those same roads next month when I head up there. You have me even more excited now. I'm especially looking forward to going up Indepedence Pass.

Great pictures! I will be riding some of those same roads next month when I head up there. You have me even more excited now. I'm especially looking forward to going up Indepedence Pass.

We have yet to get that one. RR at ADV shows a lot of snow along the side of road. We are going to wait a little longer. I am planning Trail Ridge next ride. Since I have the old folks life time pass, I will take advantage of it.

Send me a PM when you get up this way. My Evans isn't bad either.

Last edited:
The stay and the way home.

We decided to rent a one room cabin at the KOA. I had checked motel rates and the cabin was about half the price. We just relaxed around the cabin. As we sat a passerby commented on the two old people sitting and swinging on the porch.
IMG_1992.jpg

Checking the weather report for the area it was forecast for high winds with gusts up to 50 mph with a chance of early thunderstorms. We decided to get up early and head for home at first light. Only 135 miles the short way. We headed back east on the 24 and then up 285. I was cold. Note to self, bring jacket liner when riding in Colorado. The bills on the helmets did move our heads around some on the way down. But on the way back we were glad we had them to block the sun.

052.jpg

053.jpg

We did pass three big horn sheep, but of course that was on top of a hill around a blind curve. Camera was not ready. After that we hit the wide open stuff up through South Park. It was cold going 70+ down this road.
055.jpg

Just checking, yep she is right where she is supposed to be.
057.jpg

We could not take it any longer and stopped here to put on the cold weather gloves. You see a lot of this stuff here in the state.
058.jpg

No ride can be completed without a stop for road construction. It was a pretty nice place to stop though.
059.jpg

Cathy is having fun.
060.jpg

I am smiling here. The money spent on the Sena SMH10 Bluetooth Headset and Intercom is some of the best money we have ever spent. Being able to talk to each other while we ride makes the rides so much more fun. We used these off road and two up and they have been great. We did have a speaker failure on this trip. Fortunately I have spare speakers and made a quick replacement once home.
IMG_1994.jpg

Moving and trying to get pictures some times does not come out so well. Here is one of the misses. But it does show the risers and the bracket I made for the GPS mount. The lazy man wiring to inside the frunk where I installed a 12v outlet. It works well there since I can charge my Gravity battery and charge items as needed while we ride.
056.jpg

Thanks for coming along. I hope you enjoyed it. I know that we did.

I don't miss this one at all.
Motorcycles for sale 009.jpg

Last edited:
Cathy and I just got back from a ride which took us over Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park. We rode through for free since we have the old folks life time pass. It is fun going up but even better on the west side coming down to Grandby. The ride from Walden to Fort Collins on the 14 through Proude Canyon is not to be missed. In my opinion the best road we have ridden so far. It is of good length and has the beauty and curves we all love to ride. I will post a few pictures tomorrow. But it is the same old Colorado. Pictures do not do it justice.

Cathy and I just got back from a ride which took us over Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park. We rode through for free since we have the old folks life time pass. It is fun going up but even better on the west side coming down to Grandby. The ride from Walden to Fort Collins on the 14 through Proude Canyon is not to be missed. In my opinion the best road we have ridden so far. It is of good length and has the beauty and curves we all love to ride. I will post a few pictures tomorrow. But it is the same old Colorado. Pictures do not do it justice.

Wow, that's something. I was on Trail Ridge Road just last Monday, but I was in a four wheeler.:( Beautiful place either way! I'm sure you loved the ride.

Thanks for the RR and all the great pictures, CM! Looks like you two had an awesome time! :cool:

Some 23+ years later, I still have exceptionally fond memories of the trip I took through the Four Corners area, with a tip-toe through Cortez. I always regretted never going back and spending time on a real ride through the State.

We are continuing our effort to get as many of the best roads in Colorado done this season. We started by going up Golden Gate Canyon. I did not feel like taking pictures today so did not take many. But the canyon was beautiful and had a lot of tight turns. Very fun riding with no traffic at all.
007.jpg

We stopped for a little rest here on Peak to Peak Hwy. Both bikes are loaded for a stay overnight in Walden
003.jpg

We stopped in Nederland for breakfast. Interesting little café. There was a women there that talked to us non-stop from the time we sat down until we left. Interesting to listen to all of her complaints about everything. The woman sitting at the table is the talker.
008.jpg

012.jpg

I did not take pictures today going up Trail Ridge to the top from Estes Park. There is nothing great about it other than it goes up a long way. We did have to slow down for an elk to cross the road. After reaching the summit descending the other side is great. It becomes tighter as you go and the road is tree lined until you get closer to the bottom and the speed increases.

013.jpg

How long did it take to place all of those stones?
016.jpg

014.jpg

After Grandby it was pretty fast riding up to Walden. It is 65 mph most of the way and is pretty open country. We did get rained on twice on the way but it only lasted for a few miles each time. Both bikes ran great and the chicken strips are getting smaller each time.

Here is our cabin for the night. We have been trying the KOA cabins for the last couple of trips and they are OK. This one was not as good as the other two we had stopped at. The mattresses where pretty worn and one window did not work and the blinds where broken. But we did get two free soft serve ice creams. It is also 13 miles outside of town which I did not realize. I did not stop for gas and had to return the next morning to Walden for gas. I had 179 miles on the bike. When I filled up I had 192 miles and it took 2.49 gallons to fill her back up. Cathy took a fraction less gas on her CB500X. 77 mpg is good with me.
017.jpg

It is flat and wide open but this is a hint of what is coming.
020.jpg

I took a lot of pictures a lot of pictures but they all look the same. Trees and twisty roads through them. This one was a little different as the canyon got tighter.
055.jpg

The road follows the river all the way through and provides nice views. But eventually you end up in Fort Collins.
058.jpg

We stopped at the first café we came to. Old people like us and bikers, it should be OK. There were four full dressers and they were headed back to Minnesota. I am afraid they may have caught a bit of rain today.
059.jpg

Two Denver Omelets please.
061.jpg

From here we caught the freeway home. Not fun trying to keep the crazy drivers bumping into us. it got hot and we were happy when we pulled in the driveway.

I can not express how much I am enjoying this NC700X. It has enough power to go as fast as I am comfortable going. It feels light but solid in the turns and the little bit of dirt I have been on makes me want to put some 60/40 tires on it. Our biggest problem now is we don't think the DS bikes will be used anymore. This is just too much fun.

Much of the second day can be seen here on the videos.
Cache La Poudre | Rocky Mountain Rider Video

Keep the CO pictures coming...I was there for three days and only had an iphone for pictures and was so overwhelmed by the beauty of CO and I was only on 285, 9, 6 couple of paved/unpaved passes (Boreas Pass & Guanella Pass rd) and 50 out of Salida going home , I did not take many pictures. Your pictures bring back wonderful memories and feelings. Thanks

Very nice views and roads.

I wonder if the restaurant was called Nederland or the place? It's The Netherlands in Dutch. :) So if the lady complains a lot. She's fitting the image. (i can say this i'm Dutch too)

I'm really enjoying your rides up there from down here.....

That last picture is just not right.... in this thread - LOL!

Very nice views and roads.

I wonder if the restaurant was called Nederland or the place? It's The Netherlands in Dutch. :) So if the lady complains a lot. She's fitting the image. (i can say this i'm Dutch too)

It is the name of the town. No stop light, just a traffic circle. I don't know it's history.

well.....I-25 is not my favorite
View attachment 19086

Since I don't have to go out on the roads when it is like that it is no problem for me. The thing you don't see is what it looks like the next day or even later in the same day. It is rare to get more than two days in a row that has really bad weather. Those stretches of clear sub-freezing days can give you cabin fever though.

Back